Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Mechanic Fan Concept] Channeling Mode: Connecting a new Channeling System to Focus System

FoxFX

LINK TO THE REDDIT ARTICLE

This concept is more of a prediction if Channeling were to be changed into something like a "Awakened Form of Warframes." This concept takes on a past challenge "if there is a way for players to feel that their Warframe can indeed be the fearsome war-machines described in lore." Part of this concept also assumes there is no Serration-type mods and creates a new way to bring back those mods.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150601165416/warframe/images/d/de/Channel_Melee.gif

PROBLEM ADDRESSED BY PLAYERS IN TOPIC OF CHANNELING

• Melee Channeling in itself is a costly technique that doesn't offer much of a rewarding result
  • Many Channeling Mods have been avoided with the exception to Life Strike for its Health Recovery Ability
  • Channeling is a very high Energy-required ability and some have desired for a more duration-type system for Channeling before
  • For the Energy required for Channeling, many players find more incentive to using their Warframe abilities instead
  • "most channeling mods simply don't increase attributes enough to be worth the cost associated with using them, especially when compared to other options available to us...-Thread"

http://i.imgur.com/XyctzZZ.jpg

CONCEPT IDEA AND POSSIBILITIES

• If a Warframe can channel their Energy into Melee Weapons, what is limiting them to channeling their Energy into Primary and Secondary weapons
  • We can change Channeling into a "mode/form" that the Warframe can enter empowering their abilities
  • Possibility of making Channeling the key for players to compete against high-level missions such as Sorties/Trials
  • WIP: Channeling can tie into the Focus System changing the very nature of the Channeling Mode a Warframe enters
  • WIP: Channeling can tie into the Syndicate Powers affecting the capabilities of the Channeling Mode

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

http://i.imgur.com/h7bNVPS.jpg

CHANNELING MODE EXPLANATION

• Channeling Mode is a special state a Warframe can enter peaking their abilities to the optimum
  • Channeling Mode will initially grant Warframes a substantial Melee Attack and a moderately Primary/Secondary Attack boost when entering the mode
  • Channeling Mode will no require Energy to enter, but will use this bar to enter the statehttp://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/f/f5/Readyfocus.png/revision/latest?cb=20151221154845
  • Aesthetics of the Channeling mode enters the Warframe in their "glowing Channeling Appearance," and new possible Cosmetics could open up new visual effects when enetering Channeling Mode

REQUIREMENT TO ENTER CHANNELING MODE

• Starter idea is to make Channeling Mode accessible as long as you have any amount of energy in the bar
  • When in the Channeling Mode, energy will be periodically drained and can be cancelled
  • Entering the Channeling Mode in full energy would also activate the Player's Focus Attack
  • Entering the Channeling Mode equipped with a Syndicate Augment would react to the Channeling Mode creating a new "Warframe Eximus-Aura"

METHOD TO ENTER CHANNELING MODE

• {Option 1} Holding the "Reload" button
  • {Option 2} Holding the "Switch Weapon" button
  • {Option 3} Using the same action required to activate Focus

CONNECTING CHANNELING MODE TO THE FOCUS SYSTEM

• Based on the currently active Focus Tree a player chooses, the bonuses in Channeling Mode can differ
  • Each of the Tenno schools while in Channeling Mode offers ~3 unique buffs depending on the Focus Tree the Player Chooses

MADURAI: Attacks Reducing Armor/Shield, Additional Damage to Enemies under Status, Movement Speed

VAZARIN: Shield/Overshield Buff, Revival Range, Melee Block Reflection Damage Buff

NARAMON: Critical Damage Buff, Evasion Buff, Parkour Perks, Reduce Enemy Awareness

UNAIRU: Armor Buff, Health Regeneration, Aerial Ground Slam Buff, Lifesteal

ZENURIK: Power Strength Buff, Casting Speed Buff, Power Efficiency

POSSIBILITIES FOR FUTURE CHANNELING MODS

• Channeling Mods would no longer have Efficiency added to them
  • Channeling Mods when added to Weapons (and possibly new Channeling Warframe Mods) remain inert until the player enters the Channeling Mode
  • EXAMPLE: CHANNELING MOD: SERRATION grants 200% Primary Weapon Damage but is only applied when the player enters Channeling Mode

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

CONCLUDING REMARK

One of the things I wanted this concept to do was to give players a sense of urgency and something like a "brief powerup concept" with this new Channeling Mode. If such a concept could tie in or adjust the Focus System is unknown, however there are always possibilities.

Any thoughts you have about this feel free to share.

Edited by FoxFX

I would not link this Channeling mod to the syndicates in such a way. Now syndicate mods that could use the Channel or grant all weapons Truth or Purity or etc. while in it would be useful.

On another note I DO think that connecting it to the Focus system could lead to some interesting ideas. Since the Focus system isn't finished and we are playing with the barebones framework. We could assume that Focus would implement this system to grant additional focus within the tree. Zenrurik granting channeling increased Power, Power Range, or reducing the energy drain rate. Good thoughts though.

I mean...I dont wanna pour salt in the system, but couldn't channeling be an alternative to augments taking slots? They could make an augment UI (I know it's more work, just spit balling) then you place augments in the slots (since some abilities have multiple augments). Then when you channel + cast the ability is "augmented" for a bit more energy or something.

You could say that the trigger to go into channel mode EXILUS MODE is "Channel + Focus"

I would like to see more weapons have increased channel damage/abilities. ESPECIALLY the Ether weapons.

In regards to the Syndicate synergy. Possibly add it to the channel/Exilus mods: "+1 Truth during channel mode" for example, but I think connecting it with the focus system might be the better way to go.

Edited by Synpai

Thanks for the above support, everyone.

I myself was not so sure to add in the Syndicate Powers into this concept, but a friend of mine suggested I try it when they read over the Reddit version of this.

I will omit the Syndicate one for now, and I will see what I can come up with to detail how the current "Focus Passives' we have can be adjusted for this Channeling Mode.

10 hours ago, Synpai said:

I mean...I dont wanna pour salt in the system, but couldn't channeling be an alternative to augments taking slots? They could make an augment UI (I know it's more work, just spit balling) then you place augments in the slots (since some abilities have multiple augments). Then when you channel + cast the ability is "augmented" for a bit more energy or something.

You could say that the trigger to go into channel mode EXILUS MODE is "Channel + Focus"

I would like to see more weapons have increased channel damage/abilities. ESPECIALLY the Ether weapons.

In regards to the Syndicate synergy. Possibly add it to the channel/Exilus mods: "+1 Truth during channel mode" for example, but I think connecting it with the focus system might be the better way to go.

Had to remove the Syndicate portions of this concept to simplify the idea. You are right in that making this new Channeling concept to connect to the Focus System for now is the better way to go.

7 hours ago, tbeest said:

So... Like an Exalted Blade/Hysteria/Peacemaker mode for regular weapons. Sounds interesting.

The current channeling system is a joke..

I guess we can think of it as how Mario turns out whenever he grabs a Star he goes all super.

It is around that theory only that you activate the form yourself and while it is temporary, it gives a good boost in power. Based on the Focus System you choose, the bonuses the Channeling Form grants differ too.