Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TWW Missions [spoilers, probably]

TimFlint

So, just finished TWW. Here's some thoughts:

1.) Gameplay or cutscene - ONE OR THE OTHER. Don't give me fake gameplay where I slowly wander around but cannot actually do anything. Where you even take away the control over my fricking sprint button. If I can't do anything except walk and look then gameplay is meaningless and you may as well do a cutscene. I'd rather watch a 10 second scene of my warframe walking through snow while someone talks, with all info deployed at once - than spend 10 minutes slowly walking through snow with someone talking, sometimes, 1 sentence at a time. That just smells like padding, and it's annoying to have "faux-gameplay", ESPECIALLY if you go from cut-scene, to faux-gameplay, to cut-scene. LET ME PLAY.

2.) There's a reason why players across all games generally despise insta-kills. It's cheap, it sucks. And it sucks here. Especially here, because you go from 5 minutes of walking through snow, to 5 more minutes of walking around and ... "kind of" interacting with something, to a cut-scene, to "move one step forward and die instantly". Like, what? Of course I instantly move forward before Tenshin can say his warning because I spent the last 10 minutes NOT PLAYING THE GAME. I want to do something, and the game insta-kills me. Worse still - that section is quite lengthy, the thing you need to avoid is hard to gauge, even IF you heed the warning and do everything right you'll probably die here. Probably more than once. And every time you get to watch the short revival cut-scene and do it all over again.

edit: Furthermore, it's slow and boring. You need to wait for the thing to move away and can't do anything about it. You can't influence it, can't use your hampered beam to lure it away, can't pick up a rock or one of the many bones to create a diversion away from you. You just sit. And wait. And because you know trying anything fancy or rushing will get you insta-gibbed you'll wait some more. And then you go and probably still get insta-gibbed and can do the whole waiting thing again. PLEASE! More actual gameplay, less waiting and walking. /edit

It's easily the least fun part.

3.) Choices and letting the player make an informed decision. Guys, like seriously, didn't we have that with the second dream? The whole "picking focus schools without getting proper information"? If you get to make a choice but don't have any information to base your choice off, if you cannot make an informed decision or a at least somewhat educated guess... then that choice is meaningless. You might as well roll a die for me, I don't know whether I actually picked the things I wanted.

4.) In the part where you fight the Queen's bodyguards I couldn't understand what Tenshin was saying for quite a while. His voice got droned out by ambient sound and the fighting and there were no subtitles even though I got subtitles on. DASH, you need to dash! Alright. TELL ME SO I CAN HEAR.

5.) A power gauge that doesn't really tell me how much I can still use the powers. Really? I get it, immersion, less clutter, less numbers. But with the fading out I cannot properly tell whether I can still use a lot of power, or not a whole lot. It only flashes red at the last bit. I frequently ran out at inopportune times because the power gauge was so fricking useless. Give me a number, or a depleting bar, or anything that actually lets me gauge the reserves.

6.) Platforming with the "duck-dash" is horribly awkward. At least when you need to land on some small platforms. Oh, and when you miss? Insta-kill, of course, and revive cut-scene. It's really hard to tell at which height and distance you'll end up, and unlike the Warframe parkouring you have ZERO control over your trajectory once you dash.

7.) MOAR ARCHWING. Seriously, stop. Do not create more AW stuff before you can give us an interface worth a damn. Maybe a roll button, tighter controls, and more interesting things to do than "fly from A to B. And dodge a laser or two."

On the positive side: The cutscenes were good, I liked Ordis, the design of the new tileset and the Queens.

Edited by TimFlint
added a thought I had forgotten, added spoilers tag

Just now, THE-Micro-Cat said:

wait, how'd you stun the maws or whatever they are?

Once you get your power they wont just snatch you anymore, they'll pop-out and do a short animation during which you can stun it (E) and control it (... 5 I think?).

Not only did the quest suck but it came with a huge amount of bugs that will likely be resolved next year. Also, I expected much more from the queens.As orokins, they should somehow have had some warframes+operators working for them like we do with Lotus. The fight with the fat guys was nice though and the gameplay as operator was not necessary. Delete archwing and Lunaroo modes, stop making frames like banshee 2.0 (bard frame) as we have enough characters already, and reallocate the budget wasted  for new bosses, new systems and new factions/enemies development.