Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Weaponry Is A Pain To Level.

KamaNightfire

Hello.

After having Forma'd my " Hate " for the 3rd time, I can say that leveling it has put me through a lot of frustrations simply because i'm stuck doing infested missions to grind it up. I'v managed to grind my banshee up 4 times and my despair/dread another 2 times as well before I'v even gotten my 2nd forma on my hate, it takes that long.

Now I do enjoyed infested defense missions a lot, i'm not complaining that it's " hard " , but compared to the primary and secondary weapons it takes A LOT longer to level up , even when grouping with other people.

Also the fact that it is the only weaponry type that does now have a constantly showing EXP meter during missions never helps, I spend 1-25 waves on missions wondering if i'm even getting any decent exp for it, only until after the missions can I look to find out, maybe add an extra meter for melee too on the HUD?

Of course melee is almost useless outside infested missions anyhow, it's the only reason I have one, and to those whom have melee-based warframes, it's easier for them to level theirs simply because using skills with a melee weapon gives exp to them.

Anyone else feel that it is a huge drag to rank melee weaponry?

Please excuse my sentence structures and the sort, very tired and not really wanting to put much effort into making something worth reading tonight :P

Edited by Cute

Hello.

After having Forma'd my " Hate " for the 3rd time, I can say that leveling it has put me through a lot of frustrations simply because i'm stuck doing infested missions to grind it up. I'v managed to grind my banshee up 4 times and my despair/dread another 2 times as well before I'v even gotten my 2nd forma on my hate, it takes that long.

Now I do enjoyed infested defense missions a lot, i'm not complaining that it's " hard " , but compared to the primary and secondary weapons it takes A LOT longer to level up , even when grouping with other people.

Also the fact that it is the only weaponry type that does now have a constantly showing EXP meter during missions never helps, I spend 1-25 waves on missions wondering if i'm even getting any decent exp for it, only until after the missions can I look to find out, maybe add an extra meter for melee too on the HUD?

Of course melee is almost useless outside infested missions anyhow, it's the only reason I have one, and to those whom have melee-based warframes, it's easier for them to level theirs simply because using skills with a melee weapon gives exp to them.

Anyone else feel that it is a huge drag to rank melee weaponry?

Please excuse my sentence structures and the sort, very tired and not really wanting to put much effort into making something worth reading tonight :P

From my experience, Infest is bad for leveling up anything to be honest due to its crappy xp. I just level it up along with my other weapon on a low level corpus mission. 

Quite so.

To be honest I just ran Kappa missions exclusively, slapped on Killing Blow and hope I one shot Grineer as quickly as possible before my teammates would nuke them.  Feels like a relief whenever I had Reflex Coil and Fury finally on whatever I was leveling too.

Last time I had fun leveling a melee weapon was the Orthos and got potatoed fairly quickly...

Quite so.

To be honest I just ran Kappa missions exclusively, slapped on Killing Blow and hope I one shot Grineer as quickly as possible before my teammates would nuke them.  Feels like a relief whenever I had Reflex Coil and Fury finally on whatever I was leveling too.

Last time I had fun leveling a melee weapon was the Orthos and got potatoed fairly quickly...

I have every mod I want on my Hate for when I do finally get it forma'd , even then it's still a slow grind to max it just to reset again :P

also to the above person stating that infested is a bad mission-type to choose, grineer tend to ahve high defenses and i rarely every chargekill them in 1 hit on Level 25+ missions , and Corpus tend to do a lot of spammy stuff upclose ~ , as i'm also leveling my banshee at this time as well and with low shields/health i can get knocked down often, infested seems to be the only thing I can kill easily and mass-murder a lot of in a short time.

Edited by Cute

Sounds like your problem is you aren't farming for the melee. If you are farming for it, then you wont be using your guns.

Hes not using his gun... 

also to the above person stating that infested is a bad mission-type to choose, grineer tend to ahve high defenses and i rarely every chargekill them in 1 hit on Level 25+ missions , and Corpus tend to do a lot of spammy stuff upclose ~ , as i'm also leveling my banshee at this time as well and with low shields/health i can get knocked down often, infested seems to be the only thing I can kill easily and mass-murder a lot of in a short time.

Grineer is hard due to the flamethrower and the red dude that shakes the screen.

For me, i just use frost and shoot stuff so corpus is good leveling ground for me, the xp for melee is not great but i can still get around 10k - 20k melee xp per mission depends on wave. But then, im not leveling my melee only. Melee is a tag along for me so that works out fine for me i guess.

Edited by chanw4

Sounds like your problem is you aren't farming for the melee. If you are farming for it, then you wont be using your guns.

He? =/

I spend 95% of my defense missions spamming my melee key on infested and using my despairs on toxic ancients, otherwise i take ancients down with melee as well due to their staggering issues :p

"I'v managed to grind my banshee up 4 times and my despair/dread another 2 times as well before I'v even gotten my 2nd forma on my hate, it takes that long."

It doesn't imply he used it mainly. Should i say he didn't use guns (primary and secondary) mainly in the mission?

"I'v managed to grind my banshee up 4 times and my despair/dread another 2 times as well before I'v even gotten my 2nd forma on my hate, it takes that long."

most of that exp is assist from team-mates using their primaries :P , it would be a different story if EVERYONE in my team used only melee :P

The main issue with leveling your melee weapon in public games is that the people you join will be using their rifles/pistols and not melee, which doesn't help you. From what I've heard, any weapon XP gained by one player is given to the other players in that same type (primary, secondary, melee). This means that if you join a public game and are the only one using melee, then you're the only one generating melee XP for the team. This is why it's a lot easier to level primaries/secondaries, because that's what people tend to use in public games. If you really want to grind melee XP, get some friends in on it or ask your randoms if they could use melee weapons, and you should generate a lot more melee XP.

As far as which enemy type is best, I'd definitely say Infested. The XP per mob is reduced, but the mob density is much higher and they're easier to kill en-masse. Also you'd optimally be doing defense missions since they give a constant(ish) stream of enemies. I've been making a spreadsheet of XP given per enemy, and from what I've gathered mob type matters more than mob level as well. For example at level 18 a basic Infested mob will give 49 XP while ancients give 213 XP, slightly more than 4x the XP. For comparison for Grineer, "light" mobs (most non-heavy units) give 71 XP. "Medium" Grineer (Troopers and Scorches) give 142 (light x2) and for some reason the snipers give their own XP 213 (x3). Heavy Grineer (only heavy gunners have been tested so far, but I assume the other big guys are the same) give 712 XP (x10). I have done barely any testing on Corpus, but it looks like "light walkers", basic moa, and shield osprey are in the same XP group as light Grineer and mine osprey are in the med. Grineer group.

So yes, purely on a XP/unit basis, Infested is bad. But when factoring in killing time and whatnot, I think they pull ahead. Optimally you'd want to do Jupiter-Io or Callisto as level has a smallish effect on XP gained, but by starting there you can go into higher waves which have a higher ancient density giving more total XP.

TL, DR: Get a group of people primarily using melee on Jupiter's defense maps and go into high waves.

Part of the problem with leveling melee weapons is that it's not convenient to use them.  They do terrible damage at terrible rates and require you to move constantly to get in range of the enemy.  This encourages you to use other weapons and warframe powers... But that is exp your melee won't be getting back.

I don't think there's a player-viable solution, besides taking a nap in the center of Kappa or Kiste (too bad nobody does Lua).

From a dev perspective, melee needs a boost.  Even the Grakata and Afuris is more functional.

I don't even bother trying hard to level my melee. I just run Kappa a lot to level other equipment and my melee just levels up as I go. I try to get in a few melee kills each mission, but its just annoying because most melees are terrible for using them exclusively. Its not really bad though, By the time I get my primary/secondary to level 30 my melee is around level 20 without having to use it often.

Quite so.

also what warframe is that again in your profile? Nyx? I'm jelly Banshee doesn't have that nice cleavage forming and " obviously a female " chest-popping :(

Edited by Cute

I would't mind but 90% of the weapons in this game are melee e.e

I don't mind the overload on melee weaponry, i only stick with 1 set myself :P

I honestly think they should give an exp multiplier to melee weaponry since it requires actually being up-close and at risk compared to your other weapons, why should it get the same exp drops? As stated above on several posts melee is almost useless when used during any other mission outside infected, and even then using your primary is still a better option, melee is there only to give you a fighting chance with no ammo *which shouldn't be happening considering we have ammo packs, and in defense missions it's unlikely you'll run out*

Melee is tedious enough to level but whenever I'm not solo there is always someone spamming abilities and putting xp our rank 30 suits.  I wish xp was distributed in a way that didn't waste so much of it.  Suits already get affinity orbs and bonus objectives, they need to stop hogging all the xp.

I don't mind the overload on melee weaponry, i only stick with 1 set myself :P

Its agonizing if you want profile ranks

Yeah, it's more time consuming to rank up melee weapons. That's why it's awesome if there's a Frost or Saryn in the party, who can babysit you by nuking those Grineers on Kappa/Kiste. Papa Frost and Mama Saryn can babysit 3 low level warframes easily. :)

Problem with melee weapons is always that you expose yourself to enemy fire when using them since they are also quite weak compared to most primary and secondary guns.

Even with Overheat, Iron Skin and the other damage sponge abilities, melee weapons either take too long to kill or are too weak to kill many opponents quickly.

Meanwhile high level Grineer and Corpus have insane firing speed and auto aim making any second exposed to fire a death sentence.

Ironical, the melee weapon i managed to level up the fastest was the Glaive, because thanks to the polarity slots you can put the two essential mods, charge speed and charge damage in maxed form on them around level 10. After that all other mods are optional and the Glaive is working at it's peak and since it was range based you could use it with being able to quickly avoid enemy fire again.

Edited by Othergrunty

Yeah, it's more time consuming to rank up melee weapons. That's why it's awesome if there's a Frost or Saryn in the party, who can babysit you by nuking those Grineers on Kappa/Kiste. Papa Frost and Mama Saryn can babysit 3 low level warframes easily. :)

but if they keep spamming abilities you're not getting much exp for your melee weaponry :P

My Skana is FINALLY 28 after........dozens and dozens of missions.

Tried going to Mercury and killing everything with the stupid sword, and you might get 2-3% of a level.

Woo.

The only way to level a melee weapon is to go in a group and let everyone else do all the killing. Preferably on some map where it doesn't matter what your melee is.

Melee has been bad since update 7, when they got rid of the warframe melee mods.

They're hard to level up because they used to be ridiculously good, now they suck(with very few exceptions)/cost the same amount of xp.

I usually farm melee xp with the grineer, they don't have any flying dudes, and don't usually knock you.

Don't use a sentinel, they'll steal kills.

Try to get some buddies who all want to use melee weapons.