The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Struggling to play warframe on pc, upgrade help?

(PSN)CommanderC2121

So, Ive had the same computer for years, and have finally decided i should upgrade some stuff, especially with the black friday deals. As it stands, i struggle Warframe at all low, a minimized screen and a 800x600 resolution. Now, my computer knowledge is better software wise then hardware wise, so im going to put my specs below, and see if any of you can help me figure out the problem, and find a replacement part for it, preferably below $200
Thank you
Specs: (since i dont know whats needed or not needed, all put down all i can)

Tower dimensions: 19.1x8x16.8
Processor: AMD FX-4300/3.6 GHZ
Quad core
Cache memory: 4 mb L2 cache
Motherboard: AMD 760G
RAM: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB memory
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT520
1GB video memory
Power Supply: 500 Watt-AC 120/230

6 minutes ago, -.A.-Grabbelmann said:

Hey Commander :D

i would suggest you to buy a new gpu. The other parts seem fine to me. So go and find something for under 200$ (gtx 1060 with 3gigs of vram would be enough (230 €))<-overkill

Should i be worried about the rest of my system being unable to run the card? Ive heard rumors of people getting a card, and finding out their motherboard or power supply cant handle it

2 minutes ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

Should i be worried about the rest of my system being unable to run the card? Ive heard rumors of people getting a card, and finding out their motherboard or power supply cant handle it

Should be fine with the motherboard. And nvidia Cards dont need much power. The cards are mostly between 70-150W today. Not 300 like a few years ago. 

46 minutes ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

So, Ive had the same computer for years, and have finally decided i should upgrade some stuff, especially with the black friday deals. As it stands, i struggle Warframe at all low, a minimized screen and a 800x600 resolution. Now, my computer knowledge is better software wise then hardware wise, so im going to put my specs below, and see if any of you can help me figure out the problem, and find a replacement part for it, preferably below $200
Thank you
Specs: (since i dont know whats needed or not needed, all put down all i can)

Tower dimensions: 19.1x8x16.8
Processor: AMD FX-4300/3.6 GHZ
Quad core
Cache memory: 4 mb L2 cache
Motherboard: AMD 760G
RAM: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB memory
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT520
1GB video memory
Power Supply: 500 Watt-AC 120/230

Its your GPU. My PC is worse than yours in every other aspect and can run in the max settings always 60+ FPS.

Using a Phenom II X4 945 3.1ghz

MOBO: ECS 6100

RAM : 4GB DDR2 800

GPU: EVGA GTX750 SC 1GB

Like Grabbelmann said, today GPUs are extremely efficient, my GTX750 only needs 300w, Im using an Corsair CX430 and its enough to run everything + 3 coolers and 2 HDDs.

But first you need to check how many amperes your PSU can provide to the 12v rail. 22A+ is enough, doesn't matter if uses two rails or only one.

An 1050ti 4GB is enough, if you play other games you can get an 1060. Since I'm brazilian, I don't know about the prices in the US.

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

15 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Your system is very similar to mine, except the GPU.

I've got a GTX 560 and it runs just fine at 1920x1080 on medium settings.

Just tried running a mission on high settings and my GTX 560 still coped fine, the only difference was the GPU fan running a little louder.

2 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Just tried running a mission on high settings and my GTX 560 still coped fine, the only difference was the GPU fan running a little louder.

How much is a gtx 560? I honestly just want a card that makes the game run. It could be at medium or low, but please let me get something that keeps me from forcing a 800x600 resolution

I just upgraded to a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB myself for $150. Lets me play Warframe on max everything at 1080p. The in game FPS counter says I'm getting 120 FPS steady. That's more than enough for me. I'm quite pleased with it. It also runs off a 300w power supply, so you won't have to upgrade that.

I would think that computer should be fine.  It looks a lot like mine which plays WF fine.   I would, before spending money, see if you need to clean out the registry, startup programs, and generally tune your OS and software side performance.   Also check your networking and be sure you have around 5+ mbytes (not mbits, computes work with bytes) per sec.   

If that does not work, try a 'new' graphics card.  The only major diff between your machine and mine is I have a gforce 550 series.   That is 1, maybe 1.5 generations apart, and should not be enough to give you super bad performance in and of itself, but maybe it does.  I can't recall that far back on what the difference is.   I have over 10 mbytes/sec networking and I keep my machine highly tuned.  I am probably going to replace it soon.. been avoiding winx and had other things I needed more because this old one is still working and still playing all my games fine.

Be aware that if you over-do it on a new graphics card you MAY need a new power supply to go with it.

Edited by jonnin

5 minutes ago, jonnin said:

The only major diff between your machine and mine is I have a gforce 550 series.   That is 1, maybe 1.5 generations apart, and should not be enough to give you super bad performance in and of itself, but maybe it does.

GeForce GTX cards are for gaming, GT cards are for general use, there is a big performance difference when it comes to running games.

1 minute ago, ChuckMaverick said:

GeForce GTX cards are for gaming, GT cards are for general use, there is a big performance difference when it comes to running games.

Ah, OK.  Its been so long since I bought anything, I couldn't remember!!  So maybe this is his problem.   As old as that rig is, he has 2 options if he goes for a card... get an older one (like my series, or even a little newer) used / cheap or get a new hot one that he can put into his next machine (but again, this might mean a new power supply..!).

Man, all these people recommending the 480/1060. I wouldn't even pair that with fx6xxx much less with what op has.

All you need is actually way on the low end. Stick a rx460 or gtx 1050 into the pcie slot and don't worry about spending more, changing power supply, or anything else. each of those options is about $100 and I wouldn't spend more than $120 unless you upgrade your full rig. take those extra $80 and get yourself an ssd.

For reference, I started warframe with a core2quad at 2.66ghz and a gtx630. even with that gpu (which i would never recommend) it stayed at 40-60 fps at 1080p, dipping into mid twenties because of the cpu in heavy battles. then i got a 750ti, but fps stayed the same only prettier while gpu was at around 30% use. then got a i7 2600 which shot my fps to never dip below 60 and got my 750 to 100% use. the 1060 is 3-4x the performance of my 750, so pairing with your cpu would be throwing away money.

tl;dr. get a rx460 or gtx1050/1050ti. if your psu has no 6pin, get the version of the gpu that doesn't require it.