Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it even possible to get Warfame to never drop below 60fps?

Dizzle22

Question

I have had issues with the frame rate frequently dropping down below 60fps ever since around U18, I believe. I've played with different settings (inside and outside the game) but I can't seem to shake the issue. I've verified and optimized, I've un-parked the cores, set CPU/GPU to high performance, I've updated video drivers, etc etc.

I play at 1080p/60hz with auto vsync on (I get tearing on my display). Even with all settings maxed out I can get a stable 60fps a lot of the time, until the game decides to drop into the 50's, 40's and even high 30's. This can happen because a ton is going on at the time, or it can happen for no real reason. Other times a ton is going on in game, and I'm surprised to see that it is running strong at 60fps...

The issues seems to get somewhat better or worse with various updates to the game. Turning down various settings doesn't change anything, I get the same behavior. Granted, I have not tried slumming it on the lowest possible settings yet, but I should not have to with my hardware. 

I don't have issues like this in other games (here's where we namedrop Witcher 3 on Ultra), and nothing is "wrong" with my PC. It is running clean and lean, I don't even run programs like Steam or itunes. I've tried monitoring my resources during bad fps drops, and neither my CPU or GPU appear to max out at any time. High usage on the GPU, in the 90% range even, but never maxed out and struggling. 

Anyway, I've seen lots of suggestions and have either had already done them, or did them and they did not help. I wanted to touch base here and see how everyone else is doing in regards to performance, and if there is maybe something I'm missing. I've seen the guy claiming to never drop below 120fps, and also the guy with a GTX 1080 saying he has issues, so it's all over the place for this game it seems.

My specs:

Windows 7 x64

i7 3770 (no OC)

GTX 770 2gb (EVGA factory OC)

16gb RAM

Samsung 850 Pro SSD

(I know the GPU is a bit outdated at this point, but as I said this does not seem to be a hardware issue, and this HW should still be overkill for Warframe.)

22 answers to this question

I've not had it drop below 135.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: AMD FX-9370, 18 °C (Vishera 32nm Technology)
RAM: 32.0GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum (@1866MHz)
Motherboard:  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942)    26 °C
Graphics: (Crossfire) 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)    40 °C
Graphics: (Crossfire) 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)    39 °C
Monitor: SE790C (3440x1440@60Hz); Samsung Curved WQHD Ultrawide
Storage: (RAID 0) 931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 (SATA)    24 °C
Storage: (RAID 0) 931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 (SATA)    23 °C
Storage: 111GB Crucial CT120BX100SSD1 (SSD)    24 °C
Storage: 931GB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device (USB (SATA))
Optical Drives: No optical disk drives detected
Audio: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Audio: F.R.E.Q 9 Madcatz Headset

When dealing with screen-tearing, try modifying the game's settings externally. I've had minor issues with Warframe's v-sync settings myself. Granted, we're using different brands of graphics cards. I enable OpenGL Triple Buffering on the occasions that I actually use v-sync. I'm not entirely sure if that setting, or an equivalent, is available to you though. It works perfectly fine for me, since I can typically get 150-200fps. However, your frames are having a bit of an issue, so regardless of your v-sync technology there's not going to be any covering that up. If you don't mind a fuzzier feel to the controls and a minor hit to your response time, look into frame pacing technology. That will at least make your occasional dips less noticeable.

Oh, funny, I should mention Witcher 3 on Ultra actually does limit me to around 80fps. Perhaps it has something to do with the 3400x1440 resolution I'm pushing it on.

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

it depends on why performance is dropping in situations, and what those situations are.
most are likely to be CPU limited situations, but you could also be GPU limited on rare occasions when enough Effects are spammed in one spot.

nobody can really help unless we know what situations performance is dropping, to identify why it is dropping.

Hello OP, your hardware looks decent over all, but I may suggest you look into a GTX 1050TI or a GTX 1060, I am sure with a video upgrade you could easily cap 60 FPS with all the settings maxed out. The GTX 1050TI can be purchased for 129.99 and a GTX 1060 is 249.99

I run at a rather odd Rez but with a 1080 I did notice a little frame drop on a few of the new maps. But it was rare. well over 200fps

Edited by Anpu

9 hours ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

When dealing with screen-tearing, try modifying the game's settings externally. I've had minor issues with Warframe's v-sync settings myself. Granted, we're using different brands of graphics cards. I enable OpenGL Triple Buffering on the occasions that I actually use v-sync. I'm not entirely sure if that setting, or an equivalent, is available to you though.

I was previously using Nvidia's "Adaptive" Vsync setting, along with triple buffering to override the application settings, but I read somewhere that using the internal WF settings was better. I will try to switch back and see if that helps any.

9 hours ago, taiiat said:

it depends on why performance is dropping in situations, and what those situations are.
most are likely to be CPU limited situations, but you could also be GPU limited on rare occasions when enough Effects are spammed in one spot.

nobody can really help unless we know what situations performance is dropping, to identify why it is dropping.

The problem is that it's rarely consistent. It doesn't matter the tileset or the faction, and as I said in the OP there are times where I can expect slowdowns and other times where it doesn't happen (but the same conditions are happening).

I was leaning toward particle effects being my problem, but I already had physx off and tried lowering particles and shadows down to low. No major effect.

I find it hard to believe that WF is maxing out an i7, even a 4 year old off the self unit. It's not like processor power has increased dramatically since Ivy Bridge. Same goes for the GPU. It's 3 years old now, but was a solid card when it was released. It should be able to handle WF at 1080p/60hz.

I find it hard to believe I am hardware bound. I feel like there is a weird setting conflict or other issue somewhere. A great example I can give is that turning AA completely off, or to the highest setting makes no difference. AA would be a major contributor to FPS drops, so the fact that I have the same symptoms even with it disabled is strange.

9 hours ago, Anpu said:

Hello OP, your hardware looks decent over all, but I may suggest you look into a GTX 1050TI or a GTX 1060, I am sure with a video upgrade you could easily cap 60 FPS with all the settings maxed out. The GTX 1050TI can be purchased for 129.99 and a GTX 1060 is 249.99

I run at a rather odd Rez but with a 1080 I did notice a little frame drop on a few of the new maps. But it was rare. well over 200fps

I've been keeping my eye on the 1070 since launch, but it stubbornly will not dip below the $400 price point. Meaning they are still charging above what MSRP on the card was supposed to be. I've spent quite a bit of money this year, and am still eyeing a PS4 as well, so I don't think a GPU upgrade is happening soon.

I'm assuming you have the 1060, if you are running at 200fps

I frequently drop to 50 even on a 1080.  There are some DEEP optimization issues at work.

It's mainly 4-player missions, usually infested, with high spawn counts that cause the drops.

Turning off physx effects helps a fair bit, but not entirely.

Simulor spammers tend to wreck framerates.  They need to just nerf that gun out of existence.  10 ammo consumed per shot should do it.

14 hours ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

When dealing with screen-tearing, try modifying the game's settings externally. I've had minor issues with Warframe's v-sync settings myself.

I feel stupid for not trying this sooner, but Warframe's VSYNC was definitely causing an issue for me. I disabled it and set the frame rate limiter to unlimited (was 60) and it really helps a lot. I even got cocky and set everything back to max including physx and the game was running much better overall. I've disabled physx and set particles to medium for now, as I try to stamp out any remaining instances of the game dipping below 60fps, but I think I'm on the right track now at least.

I am noticing more screen tears, so WF does not seem to play nice with the global nvidia setting, unless I've got that set wrong too. The tearing is only really bad in the liset and dojo where I'm getting 200+ fps, so I guess I can live with that as long as I can get the frame rate to stabilize. 

Is there any point in using the frame rate limiter? It seemed to be part of the problem too. When it comes to tearing, the TV I use a monitor definitely has issues. I wonder if trying another HDMI cable is worth anything...

On 11/28/2016 at 1:15 PM, Dizzle22 said:

I feel stupid for not trying this sooner, but Warframe's VSYNC was definitely causing an issue for me. I disabled it and set the frame rate limiter to unlimited (was 60) and it really helps a lot. I even got cocky and set everything back to max including physx and the game was running much better overall. I've disabled physx and set particles to medium for now, as I try to stamp out any remaining instances of the game dipping below 60fps, but I think I'm on the right track now at least.

I am noticing more screen tears, so WF does not seem to play nice with the global nvidia setting, unless I've got that set wrong too. The tearing is only really bad in the liset and dojo where I'm getting 200+ fps, so I guess I can live with that as long as I can get the frame rate to stabilize. 

Is there any point in using the frame rate limiter? It seemed to be part of the problem too. When it comes to tearing, the TV I use a monitor definitely has issues. I wonder if trying another HDMI cable is worth anything...

Try to avoid the frame rate limiter in Warframe if you can help it. If you toggle it, you're going to kill your nice response times and visuals you get from anything above 60fps. Definitely avoid v-sync, as if you drop below 60fps, it's going to force you down to 30fps until you're stable again. The frame rate limiter doesn't implement frame pacing, so it can still end up choppy even if you set it to something like 90fps. Still a bit odd triple buffering isn't working for you, try enabling it externally now that you've disabled Warframe's internal v-sync. <edited>

(You can also set a custom resolution with a specific frame-rate limit. Set it to something weird and recognizable. I'm on 3440x1440; so I'd use 3441x1441@90 (or whatever) so I can spot it easy in a game's resolution list. Alternatively, just enforce it universally as your monitor default.) Anyway, Warframe generally isn't friendly toward external overrides, regardless of their type. It doesn't even like minor anti-aliasing modifications.

Try a displayport cable if your computer/monitor is compatible. It's rather superior to HDMI. Displayport, if you're unfamiliar, transfers up to a resolution of 3840x2160 at 60Hz with multichannel digital audio. However, this technology is nearly exclusive to monitors. and if you're using a TV, it's rather unlikely you're going to have that port. Adapters for displayport to VGA, displayport to HDMI, or displayport to DVI only ever run you about $6. It's much more versatile than standard HDMI, with none of the version nonsense.

Oh, one more thing. If you're enforcing external modifications to the refresh rate or v-sync, make sure you're not on borderless windowed mode in Warframe. Make sure to be on exclusive fullscreen mode. (Or at least test the differences. Nvidia does work different than AMD, I suppose.)

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

7 hours ago, Dizzle22 said:

I find it hard to believe I am hardware bound.

Players are CPU bound in Warframe at almost all times while playing.
it's just limitations of Processors. there's no amount of money people can spend to resolve this problem, however. technology limitations that all Video Games face.

2 hours ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

Definitely avoid adaptive v-sync, as if you drop below 60fps, it's going to force you down to 30fps until you're stable again.

It's much more versatile than standard HDMI, with none of the version nonsense.

i'm sorry, but Adaptive V-Sync specifically prevents that problem. traditional V-Sync does what you describe.

it's much more versatile absolutely, but it still has Versions just like any other port does.

3 hours ago, -CM-Greymantle said:

Try a displayport cable if your computer/monitor is compatible. It's rather superior to HDMI. Displayport, if you're unfamiliar, transfers up to a resolution of 3840x2160 at 60Hz with multichannel digital audio. However, this technology is nearly exclusive to monitors. and if you're using a TV, it's rather unlikely you're going to have that port. Adapters for displayport to VGA, displayport to HDMI, or displayport to DVI only ever run you about $6. It's much more versatile than standard HDMI, with none of the version nonsense.

Oh, one more thing. If you're enforcing external modifications to the refresh rate or v-sync, make sure you're not on borderless windowed mode in Warframe. Make sure to be on exclusive fullscreen mode. (Or at least test the differences. Nvidia does work different than AMD, I suppose.)

Thanks for your posts. Yeah, the TV is a fairly cheapy Samsung LED unit, no DP or even VGA connections. I got it for free brand new, and a 40in TV makes for a fun desktop monitor, so I can't complain too much... but it does have issues with tearing. I even had to tweak things in Windows for v-sync to help with this.

I play on fullscreen.

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

Players are CPU bound in Warframe at almost all times while playing.
it's just limitations of Processors. there's no amount of money people can spend to resolve this problem, however. technology limitations that all Video Games face.

i'm sorry, but Adaptive V-Sync specifically prevents that problem. traditional V-Sync does what you describe.

it's much more versatile absolutely, but it still has Versions just like any other port does.

I suppose I should rephrase. By CPU bound, I mean that I doubt I am saturating (or maxing out) an i7 with Warframe. And all the evidence points to that not being the case thus far. I could see my older GPU bottle-necking me before my CPU ever would, and even that does not seem to be certain.

Yeah, that is the one part of his post where he lost me, but if he does not have an Nvidia card, some of the marketing verbiage might be lost on him. I have the global setting in the nvidia control panel set to Adaptive V-Sync with triple buffering enabled. Since I have no special entry in there for Warframe, it should follow the global setting, but I'm not sure that it is doing that at all.

2 minutes ago, Dizzle22 said:

I suppose I should rephrase. By CPU bound, I mean that I doubt I am saturating (or maxing out) an i7 with Warframe.

Yeah, that is the one part of his post where he lost me, but if he does not have an Nvidia card, some of the marketing verbiage might be lost on him. I have the global setting in the nvidia control panel set to Adaptive V-Sync with triple buffering enabled. Since I have no special entry in there for Warframe, it should follow the global setting, but I'm not sure that it is doing that at all.

oh, you certainly are or are almost at that point at almost all times in Missions when you have 4 Players and many Enemies around.
just as everyone else is doing the same with their Processor.

Adaptive V-Sync is not exclusive technology, it works the same for everybody.

Yeah, sorry, my bad. I edited that post several times, adding more things to it and rewording things. Missed that bit, the meaning changed entirely. Yeah, you want to use adaptive vsync, but avoid enabling vsync in warframe if you're swapping it to adaptive elsewhere, as one won't override the other. There's been times I've modified settings for warframe externally, and forgot to remove them from warframe itself. 

Oh, and speaking of editing, right, almost forgot to mention: Yeah, it seems my overrides don't always work properly on warframe. I'm not really entirely sure why, and I've never quite figured that out.

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

On 11/28/2016 at 5:06 PM, taiiat said:

oh, you certainly are or are almost at that point at almost all times in Missions when you have 4 Players and many Enemies around.
just as everyone else is doing the same with their Processor.

Okay, so I ran HWMonitor in the background to watch the maximum usage values for my CPU/GPU during a typical short play session (sorties). My fps were all over the place, and I was dipping into the 50's even with my new settings. So this would be a decent example of issues in game.

Out of 8 threads, only one was maxed out 100%. Another two were in the mid-high 70's and the rest were in the 50's and low 60's. I know this is a gross oversimplification, but if I take an average of all the max values across all threads, the average was 75% CPU utilization (max). That is fairly high usage, I will admit more than expected, but hardly maxing the processor out.

So I am not processor bound, even in a four player mission with a lot of action going on.

I will continue to keep an eye on the CPU, however.

Now, my GPU on the other hand was maxing out at 97% with 70% max memory usage. It is possible that the driver will not let the card max out at 100%, or there might be something going on there. Or maybe I really am only hitting 97%.

But as I suspected, the GPU will be a problem before the CPU is.

WF is running much better since I've disabled v-sync. But I think it is pretty clear that whatever setting I have in the Nvidia control panel is not effecting the game, because the screen tearing is certainly much worse than with the WF setting on.

Another issue is that even though I am now staying in the 55-130 fps range during a four player mission, all that jumping around in FPS makes it feel like I'm getting some visual shudder even though I'm not going under 60 anywhere near as much, and that it's only a 60hz display anyway. This is something new to me, that I will have to investigate.

So anyway, I'm still having issues. Maybe I will have some time the next couple days to play with it more.

Thanks again for the replies.

Edited by Dizzle22

1 hour ago, Dizzle22 said:

-snip-

i'm sorry, that is not how Computers work. Processor Utilization Graphs are useless for Video Games, and do not accurately represent usage. at all.

unlike GPU's, Processors do not infinitely scale with tasks, because they don't just crunch numbers en masse, they must actually process logic.
and, Video Games in particular must process all of this logic in order. while you are hitting GPU limit in this situation(if you're running uncapped Framerate or high cap, w/e), the game is CPUbound across 99% of systems, from low to high. on yours too.

i'm sure you'll argue against it, like most do - but i'm sorry these are the facts and arguing against it won't do any good at changing that.

anyways, there's a reason(s) for what's happening. most definitely. the Forums may not be a place that can work closely enough to narrow down exactly what's causing it as we don't have a whole lot of information here.

I think we are just splitting hairs at this point. I am well aware of the processor's central role in everything. The CPU is not my bottleneck is my point, and has been the entire time. I would think the game would be hard locking for seconds at a time if it was, not just dropping frames.

Regardless, I still stand by my initial statement that a 3770 and a 770 should be plenty for WF at 1080/60.

Anyway, I'll post more details to the thread as I figure more stuff out with what is going on with my game. If I can get it working perfectly again, maybe it can help others too. The game certainly has weird optimization issues. If anyone has any more thoughts, I welcome them.

Edit: Just because I know you are going to bring it up, or because perhaps that is what you were trying to say in your last post, yes I am also aware of the serial nature of each processor thread, and how that can add something of a "hidden" layer of latency you will not see on a utilization log. I doubt that is the reason for my issues however.

Edited by Dizzle22

Mine never dips below 60FPS, it never even dips below 100FPS even though i've got a 60Hz Minitor. i7 4790k on 4.9GHz Watercooled and 2x GTX970 OC'd. I usually get around 350~ FPS and when there's a lot of Enemies on Screen i dip to 150 or so.

V-Sync destroys fps big time. I never use it and barely get any tearing. I mean it does happen once in awhile but i'm fine with it instead of dropping a ton of fps for the occasional slight blip on my screen.

Edited by Coaa

Alright, so I've figured it out.

As Greymantle and others have said, Warframe's internal v-sync is indeed trash. So don't use it, and avoid the frame rate limiter as well. However, between the tearing, radically wandering frame rates, and high GPU usage it was obvious I still needed some kind of v-sync enabled, especially since my display is only 60hz anyway.

For NVIDIA cards, what I had to do to force Adaptive V-sync and Triple Buffering was actually create a profile for warframe.x64.exe in the Nvidia control panel and just tell it to use global setting for everything. Even though not having a program added in here means it should be using the global settings, that is apparently not the case until you add an entry for WF. I'm assuming there is something similar to this custom list if you have an AMD card, but you may not have the same issue.

Now, the external v-sync is definitely enforced in game. My FPS counter is locked at 60 fps and the tearing is 99% gone.

I test ran a bunch of missions that would normally cause slowdowns with large groups of enemies etc, and to my surprise the game is running very solid now at 60fps. So, I got greedy and maxed everything again (in this case, enabling physx and changing shadows and particles back from medium to high). Still 99% solid at 60fps.

Hmmm... lets really test it and run a high level infested survival. As I'm sure you are aware, infested and phsyx can be very taxing. Even better, there was an Ember and a Simulor user (but not spammer) in my group. Mostly solid 60fps. I had a few spikes down to 45 fps for like a second, but considering this was basically a torture test, I'm coming away pretty happy.

For whatever it's worth, CPU usage remained about the same (as expected), while my GPU was at a much more comfortable 71% peak during most of my tests. It hit 95% peak after the infested/physx test however.

So, if you are in a situation like me where you need to use v-sync. This is the solution.

One important thing to keep in mind is that it would seem that every time the game is updated you will need to add the entry back into the nvidia control panel for it. I've yet to confirm this, but I know that I already had the game in there, from recently even, and it was not there. My best guess would be that because the .exe was altered during update nvidia no longer sees it as the same program. So, something to keep in mind. I'll come back and edit this post if I find this to be wrong.  Seems this last bit was wrong. 19.2 did not remove the entry.

Edited by Dizzle22

Having changed gpu (gtx570 - not used for gaming originally) on my rig the odds are that the gpu is the issue.  The minimum specs for this game are far too low now with all the particles etc that can thrown up during a level.  Prior to changing to a gtx 1060 I could in most cases get 60fps at 1080p but on very rare occasions with all the stars aligned it could drop to 30 because of all the particles (from exploding infested) and other frames like nova using abilities at the same time.  It was pretty rare though and it wasn't down to the rest of the system as that is an i7 4790k, 16GB ram and 250GB Samsung 850 evo...

Network can also sometimes play a part too, bad host can cause stuttering for other players.. 

The game is still way more stable now, so I recommend the above if you need v-sync. I will play with more settings to see if I can get it just right. Particles and Shadows back down to medium again now, and physx off. I'm the type that refuses to slum it on low graphics, so I will take the time to nickel and dime it.

The sad part is the only people so far in this thread that have no issues are those with overkill god-boxes. Similar issues with a 1060 (roughly 2x as powerful as my 770) and even a 1080?? I'm sure as hell not going to drop the coin just because one game is giving me trouble, and then possibly have it not even make a difference.....

Drop particles to low, and instead of merely reducing the quality of particles like it does between high and medium, Warframe suddenly swaps to drastically reducing the number of particles spawned by individual effects. It's quite effective to combat fps drops that come from particle/shadow issues. Ideally, you don't really have to touch any other setting. It will have some visual impact, but I personally find too many particles distracting anyway and prefer to reduce the count of active particles (and leave ambient particle effects alone, although Warframe doesn't differentiate between the two types in its settings).

I know it's odd to say, coming from me, but personally I think Warframe is pretty well optimized. It looks very good for the amount of power it seems to demand, and rarely has any kind of errors on my machine. Granted, the minimum bar I'm getting from it is pretty high, but there are other games that look nowhere near as good and end up more taxing due to poor optimization. Keep in mind though AMD does not have technology comparable to PhysX available in Warframe's menus, so I have no method of making an adequate comparison between our options. However, I've had no regrets playing the game without Nvidia PhysX effects, although I suppose I don't really know what it is that I'm missing, as they say. Ah well, doesn't matter to me.

Oh, right, side note: My rig isn't really overkill. Keep in mind I'm pushing everything on a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor, so I really do need nearly 3x the power of anybody on a 1080p resolution just to get an equivalent fps result.

Edited by -CM-Greymantle

Oh for sure, I notice the difference between Low and Medium particles right away. I have Lightning Dash on Volt P (my main) and the effects are completely gone on low. I mentioned shadows throughout the thread because it seems like it would use a similar effect to particles. We are moving so fast in WF, that I'm not really stopping to stare at the quality of the shadow effects, so that setting seems like a freebie to turn down. I honestly can't tell a difference in normal play. I also just realized that I turned off character shadows at some point, so that is probably helping even more.

So far, Medium for those two settings are doing okay for me. I will continue to work on it, if needed. Worth mentioning, I do have Depth of Field and Motion Blur disabled, but I think those are mostly personal aesthetic choices that don't have much impact on performance.

Overall, WF is very stable. I think I can count on one hand the times it's crashed to desktop in the 2.5 years I've played. It works well considering the wide set of systems they are targeting. I mean, they still support Win XP last time I checked. It's just that the game runs so well, that when it doesn't it's weird and jarring. I mean I cringe a bit when, for example, Trails of Cold Steel's frame rate drops on my Vita, but in an ultra fast paced game like WF, you just really notice it.

I still think there is something weird beneath the hood that is eating some performance on all of our systems though.

You are not missing a ton with Physx. At least, not like it was back in the day. I still fondly remember the absurd particle effects coming off of the ground slam of the Dual Heat Swords.... These days, the difference is somewhat vague. Particles and similar effects, like a Nullifier globe, just seem to have this extra glowy effect with it enabled. It's pretty, but not worth the performance hit unless your machine can laugh at it.

I suppose you are right, you are pushing a lot more pixels than I am at 1080p. I just couldn't help it when I saw your initial reply with the spec sheet and thought "this f-king guy..." haha.:crylaugh: