Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Very unsure of what warframe I should get next

HAV0X

Question

I currently own a Frost Prime and an Excalibur and I'm getting kind of bored playing it. I would I am thinking of getting some sort of frame with a good damage ability, some defense ability (like frost's snowglobe for example), and some kind of "nuking" ability. At this point, I have decided between either Vauban (possibly prime) or Oberon. I see Oberon as a jack-of-all-trades frame with an offensive, defensive, and nuking ability, but that it's "underwhelming". Booben, is a very good cc frame, but is quite squishy and doesn't have an "pure" offensive and defensive ability. I am open to all sorts of suggestions and advice; so feel free to say which one is better, or suggest a different warframe!

14 answers to this question

When you said "defensive ability" and "nuking ability" in the same sentence, my immediate thought was Rhino. Granted, his Iron Skin protects himself only, but in terms of offense, (self-)defense, CC, and even mobility, Rhino is one of the best all-rounders out there.

If you're new to the game, though, then just be aware: Iron Skin will make you virtually invincible against low-level enemies, which can potentially lead to very bad gameplay habits at higher levels (e.g. not bothering to dodge attacks or avoid knockdowns).
If you're experienced with the game, then Rhino is great to have at all levels of play-- but if you haven't played too much yet, then approach Rhino with caution. He'll make the game too easy, and that's not a good thing.

EDIT:

Speaking of frames that make the game too easy (although at high levels instead of low levels in this case)-- Loki with the Irradiating Disarm augment will turn every enemy in the map into a walking Decoy, while being practically untouchable himself.
In terms of CC, survivability, defensive support (by disarming/distracting), and all-around ease-of-use, Loki is one of the best choices out there. He can be tough to use for new players, but once you get your hands on some Corrupted mods, Loki instantly becomes one of the most disgustingly powerful frames in the game.
He's basically a jack-of-all-trades, but instead of being decently good at a crapton of different things, he's borderline overpowered at a crapton of different things.

I actually stopped maining Loki because he made every high-level mission boring. He's that good.

Edited by SortaRandom

Ash is a balanced Warframe, more offensive than defensive. He has his smoke screen which also works for spy. Even with the rework he's still really good.

Ember's WOF is an offensive ability, and I guess you could call it a nuke. If you build it a particular way, everything will just die. There's also the firequake augment which knocks enemies down when they get hit which helps with defense.

You can also consider Rhino, Nyx, and Limbo. 

Saryn does a lot of damage when built properly (though she is a DoT frame rather than a nuke frame) and has some defensive aspects, though Molt doesn't do much for a team at higher levels. Mag does a lot of damage and can supply a pretty steady stream of CC and area fire denial.

As TruthArbiter said, it's hard to get nukier than Maim Equinox, but her CC builds can take a fair amount of investment to be efficient.

Edited by freeformline

42 minutes ago, HAV0X said:

I currently own a Frost Prime and an Excalibur and I'm getting kind of bored playing it. I would I am thinking of getting some sort of frame with a good damage ability, some defense ability (like frost's snowglobe for example), and some kind of "nuking" ability. At this point, I have decided between either Vauban (possibly prime) or Oberon. I see Oberon as a jack-of-all-trades frame with an offensive, defensive, and nuking ability, but that it's "underwhelming". Booben, is a very good cc frame, but is quite squishy and doesn't have an "pure" offensive and defensive ability. I am open to all sorts of suggestions and advice; so feel free to say which one is better, or suggest a different warframe!

Personally... when I started looking for a new 'Frame to play with, I decided "Why pick one, when I can pick all?" After that, I started expanding my Warframe storage and, per my decision, just started picking up Warframes and working with them. 100 plat and plenty of alerts later, I have 27 supercharged Warframes to play with and 6 Reactors cooling in storage.

31 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

When you said "defensive ability" and "nuking ability" in the same sentence, my immediate thought was Rhino. Granted, his Iron Skin protects himself only, but in terms of offense, (self-)defense, CC, and even mobility, Rhino is one of the best all-rounders out there.

If you're new to the game, though, then just be aware: Iron Skin will make you virtually invincible against low-level enemies, which can potentially lead to very bad gameplay habits at higher levels (e.g. not bothering to dodge attacks or avoid knockdowns).
If you're experienced with the game, then Rhino is great to have at all levels of play-- but if you haven't played too much yet, then approach Rhino with caution. He'll make the game too easy, and that's not a good thing.

EDIT:

Speaking of frames that make the game too easy (although at high levels instead of low levels in this case)-- Loki with the Irradiating Disarm augment will turn every enemy in the map into a walking Decoy, while being practically untouchable himself.
In terms of CC, survivability, defensive support (by disarming/distracting), and all-around ease-of-use, Loki is one of the best choices out there. He can be tough to use for new players, but once you get your hands on some Corrupted mods, Loki instantly becomes one of the most disgustingly powerful frames in the game.
He's basically a jack-of-all-trades, but instead of being decently good at a crapton of different things, he's borderline overpowered at a crapton of different things.

I actually stopped maining Loki because he made every high-level mission boring. He's that good.

No arguments there... both Loki and Rhino (primed or not) can be rather... crazy, when properly played... but Loki takes it to extremes.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm not a beginner player, but I only have one frame atm. So Rhino's good as well as Equinox. Sorry if I didn't clarify, I'm looking for frames that have decent survivability without being a glass cannon. They can be a cannon, just not a glass one. So far I have settled on Rhino, Loki, Equinox, and the almighty Booben. What about Oberon? Is he worth it, and if so; is he better than Rhino, Booben, Loki, or Equinox? Is there some frame with decent health and decent damage.

17 minutes ago, HAV0X said:

Thanks for all the replies! I'm not a beginner player, but I only have one frame atm. So Rhino's good as well as Equinox. Sorry if I didn't clarify, I'm looking for frames that have decent survivability without being a glass cannon. They can be a cannon, just not a glass one. So far I have settled on Rhino, Loki, Equinox, and the almighty Booben. What about Oberon? Is he worth it, and if so; is he better than Rhino, Booben, Loki, or Equinox? Is there some frame with decent health and decent damage.

Oberon's considered to be one of the less-useful frames, sadly. Him, Hydroid, Limbo, and (to an extent) Zephyr are popular candidates for "needs a rework".

He's advertised as a defensive druid/paladin, but his kit more closely resembles that of a supportive all-rounder-- except, rather than being decently good at a crapton of different things, he's kinda mediocre at a mediocre number of different things.

His tanking/healing capabilities are insufficient at best in high-level gameplay, since his base shield/health/armor aren't fantastic and Renewal can't keep up with incoming damage. His CC is decent, but still unreliable (since his 1 and 4 are simply Radiation procs whose duration can't be improved with mods).
To my understanding, the only field that he truly stands out in is giving the entire map a shag-carpet floor with Hallowed Ground, which your teammates will love you for during Hek fights and certain Infested missions since they prevent Status procs. But even this ability is virtually unable to do anything else.

(This is without Augments, by the way. I haven't used any of his augments before, so I can't decide whether they're useful or not.)

He's not a bad frame by any means; you can most certainly get the job done as Oberon in all levels of play. He's just... overshadowed.

17 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

Oberon's considered to be one of the less-useful frames, sadly. Him, Hydroid, Limbo, and (to an extent) Zephyr are popular candidates for "needs a rework".

He's advertised as a defensive druid/paladin, but his kit more closely resembles that of a supportive all-rounder-- except, rather than being decently good at a crapton of different things, he's kinda mediocre at a mediocre number of different things.

His tanking/healing capabilities are insufficient at best in high-level gameplay, since his base shield/health/armor aren't fantastic and Renewal can't keep up with incoming damage. His CC is decent, but still unreliable (since his 1 and 4 are simply Radiation procs whose duration can't be improved with mods).
To my understanding, the only field that he truly stands out in is giving the entire map a shag-carpet floor with Hallowed Ground, which your teammates will love you for during Hek fights and certain Infested missions since they prevent Status procs. But even this ability is virtually unable to do anything else.

(This is without Augments, by the way. I haven't used any of his augments before, so I can't decide whether they're useful or not.)

He's not a bad frame by any means; you can most certainly get the job done as Oberon in all levels of play. He's just... overshadowed.

So basically don't get him, until he gets buffed. What's the consensus of Oberon vs Loki? Will the almighty Booben prevail or the Loki Master-race? Is Rhino the best Jack-of-all-trades warframe? Not spectacular in every area but good enough to be considered good.

59 minutes ago, HAV0X said:

So basically don't get him, until he gets buffed. What's the consensus of Oberon vs Loki? Will the almighty Booben prevail or the Loki Master-race? Is Rhino the best Jack-of-all-trades warframe? Not spectacular in every area but good enough to be considered good.

- Oberon's still worth getting even if just for Mastery and Fashionframe alone. Unless you're running dangerously low on frame slots, the worst thing that'll happen is that you get more experienced with him and know how to use him more effectively when the rework eventually hits.

- Loki > Broberon. It's not even close.

- Booben and Loki have far too different roles to properly compare. Just keep in mind that Booben is a support frame who's absolutely beastly in a team setting (especially in missions where the enemy comes to you, rather than the other way around), whereas Loki is an all-rounder who's amazing in both solo and team settings (as long as the mission isn't Hijack).
Pick whichever suits your playstyle.

- There is no "best" jack-of-all-trades frame, since all of the all-rounders still have somewhat different roles from each other. Rhino is simply on the "heavier" side of the spectrum, and has an exceedingly simple but robust moveset. He works well with virtually any weapon you give him.
You might find this less or more appealing than something like Excal (offensive all-rounder with strong melee synergy); or Volt (caster-like all-rounder with a slight affinity toward crit guns); or Loki (unkillable all-rounder with a very slight affinity toward hard-hitting melee weapons, but has zero "offensive support" (damage buffs for teammates, etc) capabilities).

tl;dr:
Just pick what you think looks fun. Just be aware that Oberon/Hydroid are slightly underpowered, and that Loki is slightly overpowered. Everything else can be decided by your playstyle alone.

Edited by SortaRandom

From what you said you want in a warframe, I'd recommend getting Nova (or the prime if you still have the relics/plat). Her fourth ability is a great crowd control that can serve as a sort of defensive ability that gives you time to get out of harm's way while also making enemies explode when they die, and her second ability is a nuke when you shoot into it (I personally enjoy using it with any of the Tigris series of shotguns)