The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't Scrap Your Already Made Animations For Sword Etc In Blade Storm.

-..-

Simply have the animations you already have made apply to those types of weapons (swords, daggers etc) and have the rest of the weapons (hammer, scindo, etc) use the standard assassin blades.

Its not per type and yes per weapon.

So for example they have to make the whole set for Dark Dagger, Heat Dagger and any other dagger, not only for daggers and setit for all of them.

Thats why they had to change it.

Essentially rather than rigging animations for each and every melee weapon they have in the game, and needing to for each and every melee weapon they release afterwards, they're giving Ash always-equipped wrist blades which he uses in variations of the executions they displayed earlier. It's a tad disappointing since you won't be able to use your favorite melee weapon for the job, but I'm just happy that they're adding in fancier animations for Blade Storm at all.

My only gripe is that the blades they are displaying really don't match the overall feel of the Warframe, or even the game in general. There are hardly any western-stylized bladed weapons, so I have to feel as though a more eastern aesthetic for the wrist blades would be more appropriate. I'm sure I'll get to carve up enemies in more of a fancy fashion once they get around to implementing slightly more interactive melee combat.

To be honest, I really don't know about what to think about ASH's "wolverine claw" idea.

I too agree that making custom animations for every melee weapon existing/to be coming is way over doing

but a hidden blade idea just came out of nowhere; and like DiabolusUrsus mentioned in his post,

I feel they are somewhat out of place to be used for ASH's ability.

But then again, ASH did already have an ability to summon/throw magical-homing-comes-out-of-nowhere-ninja-star

so I guess my argument might not be a strong one.

If they are going to implement it though, my only wish is that they make it feel befitting for ASH's property

in which I mean that they use some "ash" or "smoke" element into it.

Maybe something like adding an effect forging a make-shift blade made from concentrated ash particles

(kind of like a glass shard?) from his arm before engaging in the Blade Storm and shattering them afterwards

might feel a bit legit.

Just an idea :P

Essentially rather than rigging animations for each and every melee weapon they have in the game, and needing to for each and every melee weapon they release afterwards, they're giving Ash always-equipped wrist blades which he uses in variations of the executions they displayed earlier. It's a tad disappointing since you won't be able to use your favorite melee weapon for the job, but I'm just happy that they're adding in fancier animations for Blade Storm at all.

My only gripe is that the blades they are displaying really don't match the overall feel of the Warframe, or even the game in general. There are hardly any western-stylized bladed weapons, so I have to feel as though a more eastern aesthetic for the wrist blades would be more appropriate. I'm sure I'll get to carve up enemies in more of a fancy fashion once they get around to implementing slightly more interactive melee combat.

Wrist blades aren't western. The form of weapons originated from India and are typically known as Katars. And India is considered part of Asia. A lot of the culture and aesthetics between South Asia/ West /East Asia blended together due to long running trade routes (e.g. Silk Road) and geographical closeness, most famously being what Buddhism and Hinduism take from each other, even alot of their ancient weapons have major similarities. Katars are typically seen as more of an asian weapon than a western. In popular contemporary culture, wrist blades or katars are weapons used by rogues or stealthy individuals. The hidden blades in Assassin's Creed for example coming from the Hashashin. Following this, wrist blades aren't too far a stretch for Ash, a stealth warframe.

Not to mention Warframe takes inspiration from both western and eastern aesthetics, so even if wrist blades were western, it wouldn't be too out-of-context. 

Edited by Tangerine

Mm. The dagger things make consistent sense - the ability does the same damage regardless what weapon you use it with, which... well, using a Scindo to cast the ability and using a pair of Ether Daggers to cast the ability is a bit inconsistent in that it does the same damage. At least this way it'll make sense.

So no, I'm not in favor of a few weapons having different bladestorm animations based on what the devs thought to do first.

Wrist blades aren't western. The form of weapons originated from India and are typically known as Katars. And India is considered part of Asia. A lot of the culture and aesthetics between South Asia/ West /East Asia blended together due to long running trade routes (e.g. Silk Road) and geographical closeness, most famously being what Buddhism and Hinduism take from each other, even alot of their ancient weapons have major similarities. Katars are typically seen as more of an asian weapon than a western. In popular contemporary culture, wrist blades or katars are weapons used by rogues or stealthy individuals. The hidden blades in Assassin's Creed for example coming from the Hashashin. Following this, wrist blades aren't too far a stretch for Ash, a stealth warframe.

Not to mention Warframe takes inspiration from both western and eastern aesthetics, so even if wrist blades were western, it wouldn't be too out-of-context. 

I am well aware of the cultural origins of many of the weapons in Warframe. I also understand (as mentioned in other posts) that the blades they actually showed are probably just placeholders for the time being. However, the longer blades displayed in the animations they did show were distinctly Western in design... and really clashed with the general vibe I get from the Ash warframe, specifically. The smaller blades looked fine. But the longer ones, the ones that were veritable swords coming out of his arms, looked off. I'm not criticizing the type of weapon they gave Ash for his Blade Storm, just the aesthetic design of the blades themselves.

To simplify what I'm trying to say here, I think that the final version of Ash's blades should be designed to better match the strongly distinctive 'ninja' feel of the frame itself. He throws shuriken. He drops smoke bombs. He teleports. He goes all sneaky-like. For all the space-ninja Warframes that are nothing like space-ninjas, I simply think it would be best to make the one actual space-ninja as appropriately space-ninja-ey as possible.

basically what they are doing is instead of giving every weapon its own animations for bladestorm they are giving bladestorm its own unique animations i heard that at max rank wrist blades come out of wrists like assassins creed style or something so it should be pretty good

• 3 weeks later...