Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Stealth Mechanic

Sharpstriker

I'll preface this post with, if someone has already made a post like this, I apologize, as it was not my intention to plagiarize your post. That being said, lets begin.

The Main element of this mechanic is lighting. Say all the alarms were off, what if you could hack the console again to alter other aspects of the vessels, or bases. In this case, you would encase the entire map in darkness. With this, enemies field of view is severely decreased and even normal warframes with no stealth abilities can walk fairly close to enemies without the possibility of enemy aggro, and you can avoid them as you go through your mission. Even capture targets will be unable to see you unless you started attacking them. This then allows for new ways of playing capture without just chasing the target down. 

However, there are downside. Enemies will be on their toes, not because they see you, but because they can't see a thing, which is a scary thing when there are ninjas that could be lurking about. though they are on edge, they can still be stealth killed as they believe the lights going out as just a minor power failure that will be remedied soon. Getting too close to an enemy will cause them to shoot in your general direction as they can't see you but they thought they saw something and got spooked. 

The power outage will last 5 minutes in total. however 30 second in, the fun will begin. after 30 seconds, the enemies will have calmed down from the initial shock of the lights going out, and have turned on weapon mounted flashlights, which will allow them to see a few meters ahead of them, however its not exactly a wide field of view.  so warframes can sneak around them as long as they don't get caught in the light, which for those stealth'ing with non stealth waframes, is possible but could be difficult to do.

In the case of infested missions, it'd be fun if this were used on us to make the experience more interesting.

Now the darkness put both us and the enemies at a disadvantage as we can't see as well. For this I'd recommend new tools, like the aforementioned weapon mounted lights, or tool/ upgrade for the helmet that would allow us to see in the dark.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts on the matter. 

the enemies won't be the only ones who can't see a thing... honestly the 'dark' sections of grineer ships are a pain to do because you literally can't see anything (I have a properly calibrated screen via a spyder pro) even after tweaking game brightness/contrast.  It's not as though warframes have any night vision goggles or anything we can equip.... the great orokin civilisation couldn't manage that lol

1 minute ago, LSG501 said:

the enemies won't be the only ones who can't see a thing... honestly the 'dark' sections of grineer ships are a pain to do because you literally can't see anything (I have a properly calibrated screen via a spyder pro) even after tweaking game brightness/contrast.  It's not as though warframes have any night vision goggles or anything we can equip.... the great orokin civilisation couldn't manage that lol

Please Read the bottom of my post, that's what I was suggesting with the tool/ upgrade for the helmets in the form of night vision goggles.

2 minutes ago, Sharpstriker said:

Please Read the bottom of my post, that's what I was suggesting with the tool/ upgrade for the helmets in the form of night vision goggles.

If we were supposed to have night vision goggles we'd probably have them already... clearly a torch on the weapons is the most advanced visual aid the orokin have...

Just now, LSG501 said:

If we were supposed to have night vision goggles we'd probably have them already... clearly a torch on the weapons is the most advanced visual aid the orokin have...

What if it were being developed by a friendly merchant or ally to us for us. or it could be being developed by an enemy faction whose blueprint we steal and destroy the facility to delay the enemies research. Them we take those blueprints and have ordis peform corrections and we can build it and add it to our tools.

Just now, Sharpstriker said:

What if it were being developed by a friendly merchant or ally to us for us. or it could be being developed by an enemy faction whose blueprint we steal and destroy the facility to delay the enemies research. Them we take those blueprints and have ordis peform corrections and we can build it and add it to our tools.

Well the thing is we 'could' have it working now, if cephalon simaris' scanner was a constant visual overlay rather than like a pair of binoculars it wouldn't matter what level of light there is in a level because the enemy would be highlighted etc.  Obviously that would have keybinding issues due to the scan mechanic but that would be fine imo. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)bryan_s21 said:

On missions where it's dark,  frames have flash lights.  Switch from ragned to melee and you see it shut off,  I use that to my advantage as I prefer a stealthy approach. 

You know enemies can't actually see the flashlight, right?

Warframe currently has the most pathetic suggestion of stealth. We'd need extensive overhauls of unalerted and investigating AI. Even alerted AI always know where you are, they don't check the last place they saw you, they just know. Look to actual stealth games for examples of what it should be. People may have mixed opinions on it, but I find the modern Deus Ex games to be pretty fair with stealth.

And not only that, but you'd need maps that actually support stealth gameplay AND an incentive for doing so beyond more exp.

9 hours ago, Rehtael7 said:

Warframe currently has the most pathetic suggestion of stealth. We'd need extensive overhauls of unalerted and investigating AI. Even alerted AI always know where you are, they don't check the last place they saw you, they just know. Look to actual stealth games for examples of what it should be. People may have mixed opinions on it, but I find the modern Deus Ex games to be pretty fair with stealth.

And not only that, but you'd need maps that actually support stealth gameplay AND an incentive for doing so beyond more exp.

I agree that warframe would have to have a massive overhaul to add any real stealth mechanics. However, I think my idea of turning the lights off for a short period of time and making it so you can avoid detection by avoiding the flashlights of enemies, could cover up for lack in stealth in the map design, enemy AI, etc... without having to do that big of an overhaul.

4 hours ago, Sharpstriker said:

I agree that warframe would have to have a massive overhaul to add any real stealth mechanics. However, I think my idea of turning the lights off for a short period of time and making it so you can avoid detection by avoiding the flashlights of enemies, could cover up for lack in stealth in the map design, enemy AI, etc... without having to do that big of an overhaul.

Thing with that is most warframes are covered in glowing lights. You don't need a flashlight to find us.

5 hours ago, Rehtael7 said:

Thing with that is most warframes are covered in glowing lights. You don't need a flashlight to find us.

To that I said, turn off the warframe self flash light and instead give us night vision goggles or a weapon mounted flashlight if you don't want to use the goggle or make the in the dark missions more atmospheric. Or at least turn off the lights when you shut off the lights in the area.

If we can have night vision goggles, wouldn't the enemies also have it? At least the Corpus in particular? Although it isn't hard to imagine the Grineer having a makeshift night-vision goggle.
The Infested count on things more than their sight, I'm sure.... Or it can be easy for them to mutate/evolve into something to track better.

Edited by VoidWraith

On 12/9/2016 at 9:34 AM, VoidWraith said:

If we can have night vision goggles, wouldn't the enemies also have it? At least the Corpus in particular? Although it isn't hard to imagine the Grineer having a makeshift night-vision goggle.
The Infested count on things more than their sight, I'm sure.... Or it can be easy for them to mutate/evolve into something to track better.

I was thinking that the goggles would be a piece of new tech that we get our hands on, and the grineer and corpus also have units that have the goggles, but not the whole army. as for the infested. Honestly this idea was not meant with them in mind, it would be more or less used against us in infested missions, which could have varying effects.