Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 8.3: Feedback Thread

[DE]Rebecca

Contacted DE, apparently Volt is "one of the the more popular frames in the office," meaning he is being tested a bit more than others.

Ladies and gentlemen, we may be on our way to success.

MFW+gif+finally+loads+_2f543067f24d7d003

If this is true, than that is relief. DE usually turns out good fixes (except for recent Volt "fix") so I hope they will do better if Volt gets another fix. 

Edited by Solaurus

MFW+gif+finally+loads+_2f543067f24d7d003

If this is true, than that is relief. DE usually turns out good fixes (except for recent Volt "fix") so I hope they will do better if Volt gets another fix. 

It is a sad day, when no one wants to use Volt on a corpus killing event, when that is meant to be his specialty.

So I jumped in the shoes of Volt today and thought :''what could make this guy really fun to play as?'' And I`ll get to what I figured out later, but for now I think we first have to sum up what Volt Stands as. 

For me, Volt is speed and just as the description says, ''a powerful alternative to gunplay.''. So, one would expect a multitude of ways to fry and disintegrate his foes while having excellent agility and flexibility in combat.  

So, without further we do, here is what I think should be changed : 

Shock : seems to properly chain now but it seems to still be behind abilities like slash dash or Shuriken. My suggestion is to buff it`s damage.

Speed : Nothing to really complain about. I wish it gave a bit more speed but otherwise it`s an OK ability.

Electric shield : Now, this ability needs a major overhaul. 

First and foremost, it should be a mobile shield like the one in Dark Sector and inFamous.

Second, it should deflect bullets instead of just absorbing them

Third, it should have synergy with Shock. Basically, I shoot shock while the shield is active and it consumes the shield and both abilities merge to form a huge shockwave of Electricity that penetrates multiple targets while also stunning them. 

Overload : While not the worst, I think Volt should generate a shield aura around him that makes him immune to damage for the duration of the ability . The ability should also stun targets while it lasts.

That`s about it, I hope this suggestion and the others are heard and that Volt is made even more awesome than he already is.

well, after breaking mine out today for the event (And quickly going back to frost because of it) My thoughts on current volt:

1. His base starts are pretty in-line with other frames, so no real changes here, beyond skills.

2. Shock - This power needs serious help to match up to other, better 25E slot1 powers (Charge, slash dash, null star, etc.)

So: Make it's damage 50/50 Electrical and physics impact and potentially up it by a large amount at max rank by making it target with not 1, but 2 arcs of lightning, one on his target, one on the closest nearby target. (The end result is it keeps it's stun on electric-weak enemies, and now does more damage to other enemies, and potentially causes chaos if it kills something, as Phys Impact would cause it to throw enemies back on death ala Paris or Kunai type weapons.)

3. Speed - This power is good enough as is, as the buff makes it easier for him and teammates to close or keep distance on targets, though one thing: Greatly reduce the massive "FOV" or camera change on it, nothing sucks more than trying to make a jump and having a volt hit that and completely screw your camera angle. instead, make a "Sparking" aura appear around people affected by the speed boost, don't change the FOV, and keep the speedlines (And make the lines last for the full duration with the new aura)

4: Electric shield - This power has a good idea (Defense that improves offense) But it's executed pretty bad, make the size of it and shape increase with rank to a 180 wall about 1.5 frames high, when placed at ground level, about 7.5m wide, this gives it more defense, and a larger radius where it improves offense ability

5. Overload - This is the current worst ultimate in the entire game, it does nearly no damage to enemies, even corpus at higher levels, the gimmicky light-breaking is useless on nearly every map, and the massive lockdown on the player is paaaainful, so lets ditch this gimmick in favor of something worth using:

New ult: Thunderstrike

Volt charges up, before striking himself with a massive lightning bolt, shattering nearby lights and electrical objects, and dealing heavy damage to nearby enemies, after the initial strike, volt gains a shield that arcs lightning at nearby enemies dealing electric/phsyics damage on hit for several seconds

Essentially: Hits you with lightning, causing a shockwave that deals Phys damage and grants you a shield that hits nearby targets as if vauban stuck you with a couple tesla grenades.

One, this power is a hell of a lot more impressive visually compared to "Expanding colored circle", Two, it fits volt more as an "Ultimate" ability, Three, it has a shorter window of vulnerability on such a squishy frame, and 4, it does the same damage as his new shock (Electric/physical) so it's actually useful on all enemies now

And i kept the breaking of lights in it, because popping overload and watching the lights go dark and explode is pretty awesome as-is, so i wanted to keep that feeling of power but make the ultimate a heck of a lot more impressive and useful.

Edited by Zerethon

well, after breaking mine out today for the event (And quickly going back to frost because of it) My thoughts on current volt:

1. His base starts are pretty in-line with other frames, so no real changes here, beyond skills.

2. Shock - This power needs serious help to match up to other, better 25E slot1 powers (Charge, slash dash, null star, etc.)

So: Make it's damage 50/50 Electrical and physics impact and potentially up it by a large amount at max rank by making it target with not 1, but 2 arcs of lightning, one on his target, one on the closest nearby target. (The end result is it keeps it's stun on electric-weak enemies, and now does more damage to other enemies, and potentially causes chaos if it kills something, as Phys Impact would cause it to throw enemies back on death ala Paris or Kunai type weapons.)

3. Speed - This power is good enough as is, as the buff makes it easier for him and teammates to close or keep distance on targets, though one thing: Greatly reduce the massive "FOV" or camera change on it, nothing sucks more than trying to make a jump and having a volt hit that and completely screw your camera angle. instead, make a "Sparking" aura appear around people affected by the speed boost, don't change the FOV, and keep the speedlines (And make the lines last for the full duration with the new aura)

4: Electric shield - This power has a good idea (Defense that improves offense) But it's executed pretty bad, make the size of it and shape increase with rank to a 180 wall about 1.5 frames high, when placed at ground level, about 7.5m wide, this gives it more defense, and a larger radius where it improves offense ability

5. Overload - This is the current worst ultimate in the entire game, it does nearly no damage to enemies, even corpus at higher levels, the gimmicky light-breaking is useless on nearly every map, and the massive lockdown on the player is paaaainful, so lets ditch this gimmick in favor of something worth using:

New ult: Thunderstrike

Volt charges up, before striking himself with a massive lightning bolt, shattering nearby lights and electrical objects, and dealing heavy damage to nearby enemies, after the initial strike, volt gains a shield that arcs lightning at nearby enemies dealing electric/phsyics damage on hit for several seconds

Essentially: Hits you with lightning, causing a shockwave that deals Phys damage and grants you a shield that hits nearby targets as if vauban stuck you with a couple tesla grenades.

One, this power is a hell of a lot more impressive visually compared to "Expanding colored circle", Two, it fits volt more as an "Ultimate" ability, Three, it has a shorter window of vulnerability on such a squishy frame, and 4, it does the same damage as his new shock (Electric/physical) so it's actually useful on all enemies now

And i kept the breaking of lights in it, because popping overload and watching the lights go dark and explode is pretty awesome as-is, so i wanted to keep that feeling of power but make the ultimate a heck of a lot more impressive and useful.

I like some of your ideas Like Thunderstrike, but what you also have to consider is "Does Volt actually ADD anything to the team?" He doesn't do considerable damage and he doesn't necessarily support anyone either. Nor is he tanky at all. Speed and Ele.Shield are fun, but I think that they would have to go in order for Volt to reach his true potential as a damage dealing frame that DE seems to be trying (and failing) so hard at.

I like some of your ideas Like Thunderstrike, but what you also have to consider is "Does Volt actually ADD anything to the team?" He doesn't do considerable damage and he doesn't necessarily support anyone either. Nor is he tanky at all. Speed and Ele.Shield are fun, but I think that they would have to go in order for Volt to reach his true potential as a damage dealing frame that DE seems to be trying (and failing) so hard at.

That's what i did, currently shock does little more than stun corpus and annoy everything else, and the same goes for his ult

By rebuilding shock & Overload into heavy hitters, making speed not mess with peoples vision range, and making his electric shield more of a usable bit of cover, it makes volt into a fast damage dealer who can both boost and protect his team.

Remember, by making both his ult and shock deal partial or full physics impact, the phys damage ignores armor (so it hits hard on almost everything) and if it finishes off a target, it throws it back, and the flying body can also cause damage. so not only would he now hit harder on more things, he'd also have a more impressive visual flair as well (throwing people around with bolts of lightning, summoning massive walls of it to block enemies and boost friendly damage, zooming around at superspeed dropping massive bolts of lightning into groups. Oh yeah, i can back this 100%)

SHOCK:
- Just buff damage.
OR
- Reduce cost [10 - 15] and turn it into a hold-to-channel ability (usable while moving).

SPEED:
- Keep the way it is, but maybe make it so other frames only get 50-70% of effect, as volt is slow as hell and other frames out run him with or without the buff. (could always just buff base speed. Rather sad being on par with rhino)

ELECTRIC SHEILD:
-I am taking this from someone who previously posted on this forum but I thought this was brilliant. *Make it so that when the shield is placed, and overload is used, it will act as an "electronic" in the area and making it explode and damaging near by enemies.*(credit goes to syle)

This change would make volt players think more strategically when placing the shield, so when they get over run and the shield no longer provides full cover, they can simply overload the shield to nuke nearby enemies.

OVERLOAD:
-The synergy with electric shield would reduce the situational nature of this ability, and would make it more fun to use overall.

The biggie is the change to electric shield. I like having a deployable cover, and adding the explosion combo with overload would really give that ability the "alternative to gun-play feat". Some of these abilities may not have to get a damage buff at all, as on the most recent live stream they mentioned an overhaul to how elemental damage will work.

tl:dr
make shield explode and do damage when overload is used 

Edited by CreedOfGod

Speed would need to be adjusted for him to reach full potential by either adding a different effect or making it activate a different way while still maintaining it's original effects and having an additional effect or boosting both his default speed and swing speed dramatically and replacing the speed skill.

Either would be fine. He would have to move as fast as the speed skill allows him to run, but faster. And a much faster swing speed.

Speed would need to be adjusted for him to reach full potential by either adding a different effect or making it activate a different way while still maintaining it's original effects and having an additional effect or boosting both his default speed and swing speed dramatically and replacing the speed skill.

Either would be fine. He would have to move as fast as the speed skill allows him to run, but faster. And a much faster swing speed.

I think keeping the run and melee speed boost but ditching the FOV Effect is best, MAYBE add electrical damage to volts melee (Ala saryn's contagion) or something just to give it a personal trick beyond "Hit this, run, fast"

overall though, he'd be on par with rhino or ember in terms of being a 2support/2damage skill style frame with some tweaks (I'm partial to mine, obviously  but still)

Had an interesting Revelation when choosing a new pistol after replacing the Bruston with the Dera (Bruston is now my Nyx's primary) , so I look at the Dual Vastos and jsut realized: Does the Volt look like a possible gunslinger? Yes! So I was wondering as a new alt Helemt is something styled off of Western... stuff? Like Bandanas, low brim hats: the works! But it's just my opinion... 

Had an interesting Revelation when choosing a new pistol after replacing the Bruston with the Dera (Bruston is now my Nyx's primary) , so I look at the Dual Vastos and jsut realized: Does the Volt look like a possible gunslinger? Yes! So I was wondering as a new alt Helemt is something styled off of Western... stuff? Like Bandanas, low brim hats: the works! But it's just my opinion...

This doesn't really have any relevance to this thread.

And I don't think Volt looks anything like a gunslinger tbh.

Other than my revelation comment for Alt helemt, I think a great way to support his team is with Speed: Boost Rate of Fire of all weapons and abilitiys (maybe), increase sheild recharge (maybe), just overall making things speed up, if you understand what im saying.

And then Sheild: Turn damage done into enegry? I'm not sure, just an idea. Make it move with you?

Shock: I would like a better hitscan with this, as I like to use it to kill sheild ospreys sicne it chains to ospreys usually, but if i completly miss the osprey, i miss, so i think it should like arc to robots or targets with sheilds or both?

Really i think what Volt should be is a quick and mobile frame that focuses on eliminating Corprus and supporting quick fighting. Or something else...

Really i think what Volt should be is a quick and mobile frame that focuses on eliminating Corprus and supporting quick fighting. Or something else...

Volt is advertised in game as this:  "VOLT can create and harness electrical elements. This is a high-damage Warframe perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun-play."

Which he is not, he's the lowest damaging (200 damage or less ult? REALLY? it's worse than banshees even in terms of tick damage due to being electric.) frame in the game and with a maxed focus mod STILL has trouble against his best targets (Corpus over 45-ish laugh him off pretty easy)

the other problem with that is that NO frame should be good against only one enemy type - they should be relevant everywhere, heck ember and saryn both work on all enemy types, and completely dominate the ones they counter (Infested & Grineer respectively) Where volt doesn't counter corpus, let alone even HARM anything else. barring 1 or 2 really gimmicky locations where the side trick of his ult actually works.

This is why i came up with the simple fixes: Add a second damage type to his damage skills, rebuild his ult around this, and then make his shield get bigger & taller with rank (So it actually blocks things without having to have everyone crouch behind it

It just makes sense, his current ult is worse than trinity in terms of animation (At least trinity has the sense to duck and punch the ground, ratther than float above cover and make herself a target) and damage, as the best i've seen it do -raw- (Outdoors, no gimmicks) is like, 200-400 with a maxed focus mod.

Toss in +50% Physics impact on shock and make his ult into something using 100% Phys impact followed by lingering electric (To keep the theme i went with the lightning bolt supercharge shield) and suddenly he's able to damage even armored targets.

More or less, volt is a relic of a time when he used to be relevant, now he's even been replaced as a starting frame (By mag, who also has a couple problems still) and he needs some serious major overhaul work to bring him in line with other damage frames, as ember, nova, and saryn all blow him completely out of the system.

Edited by Zerethon

I don't understand this trend going on about asking for Ele. Shiel to blow up when Overload is used. Do people not realize Volt would have to expend 175 energy without a mod to lower power cost to get an affect? Not to mention the affect would most likely will still be underwhelming without 2-4 ele.shields around. But than that would be 300 energy spent on just shields and then 100 on Overload. Not to put anyone down, but that just has to be the dumbest idea I heard all day, and I go to college.

I don't understand this trend going on about asking for Ele. Shiel to blow up when Overload is used. Do people not realize Volt would have to expend 175 energy without a mod to lower power cost to get an affect? Not to mention the affect would most likely will still be underwhelming without 2-4 ele.shields around. But than that would be 300 energy spent on just shields and then 100 on Overload. Not to put anyone down, but that just has to be the dumbest idea I heard all day, and I go to college.

Echoing you on this, it's kinda dumb.

Though, it would work if say, his ult hitting it caused it to launch a shock bolt towards all nearby enemies (Chaining based on the shields rank)

But that only works if he has a reason to use his ult, which currently, you don't really have a reason to slot his ult or shock at all (they don't do much of anything)

I thought it would be a nice strategic addition to give electric shield the usefulness on an "alternative to gun-play" frame.

and I go to college too.

I thought it would be a nice strategic addition to give electric shield the usefulness on an "alternative to gun-play" frame.

and I go to college too.

It's usefulness is blocking bullets and supercharging your own shots. You shouldn't blow it up with your ult, rather it should just launch lightning at nearby people at most, or get a buff to it's coverage area so it's a more effective defense option.

It's usefulness is blocking bullets and supercharging your own shots. You shouldn't blow it up with your ult, rather it should just launch lightning at nearby people at most, or get a buff to it's coverage area so it's a more effective defense option.

But even then the energy costs and set up times (this isn't freaking Yu-Gi-Oh, why am I laying shields like trap cards) would most certainly not make up for the outcome.

and I go to college too.

I have to agree with Zerethon and Solaurus on this, to me it sounds more like a gimmicky band aid fix for Overload.

The power cost of the combo alone is enough to make me want to just shoot them with an Ogris instead.

But even then the energy costs and set up times (this isn't freaking Yu-Gi-Oh, why am I laying shields like trap cards) would most certainly not make up for the outcome.

set up times? it's like less than a second to set up the shield

I have to agree with Zerethon and Solaurus on this, to me it sounds more like a gimmicky band aid fix for Overload.The power cost of the combo alone is enough to make me want to just shoot them with an Ogris instead.

and it could always have a energy return feature...so if you blow it up with overload you get half or so of ele. shields energy cost. That way you wouldn't be so hesitant to use the combo.

Edited by CreedOfGod

set up times? it's like less than a second to set up the shield

and it could always have a energy return feature...so if you blow it up with overload you get half or so of ele. shields energy cost. That way you wouldn't be so hesitant to use the combo.

I think by set-up he means timing for enemies to be within a good range. The wait could be short or saddeningly long.

Also, live stream thread open, get your volt q's in