Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 8.3: Feedback Thread

[DE]Rebecca

That's understandable.  I'm just afraid that the mobile shield idea might be too powerful of a skill.

It's just that in my head, I imagine that the user would be able to carry around the dynamic directional cover, being able to avoid a lot of damage, if used correctly. Also the user is getting an electrical damage boost and infinite bullet range (I recently just learned about the "hitscan" mechanic).

Though I completely agree with you that its use for team support would likely be rather difficult. Since the shield would move with the users reticule, teammates would probably not want to use it because of how it would likely be moving around so much. I think the mobile shield will not likely be used for team support because of this, rather more as a self buff.

As for it being a bit more skill-based, yeah, but I don't think it would be difficult to handle, would it? The current benefits that Electric Shield gives right now are pretty strong, and the player skill in the current one is strategic placement, since it's static. Though, I guess it could be said that the mobile version would require some strategic aiming, but I don't think that would be as difficult to manage compared to static placement. Then again, it could be that a different kind of player skill emerges with a mobile version.

Either way, if the Electric Shield did become mobile, it is going to require some testing to make sure it is not overpowered. Which is what we're here for, I guess. Who knows what kind of emergent gameplay could show up with it?

I don't really think it would be overpowered at all. You'd still have Vauban dominating infested (mobile) defense and Frost for grineer and corpus (mobile) defense. The mobile shield would make him a favored choice in (solo) boss runs on corpus bosses, but I don't think he would out do banshee with her sonar for other types of bosses, although he does provide the speed boost for the whole team, which is nice for rushing to and from the boss. It would probably an even competetition between both of these, most probably left to personal choice. Other than that, whatever, the other kind of mission types hardly have any specific requirements. He would probably be a bit more durable than the other squishy frames, but is still lacking in other areas, since he has no real crowd control and the "importance" of speed for group speed runs would also be left unchanged.

Of course this is all just conjecture, but I can hardly see it happening any other way.

Funnily enough, this would remove Volt even further from his advertised "alternative to gunplay", since the shield makes guns even better.

With speed and shield, his description should probably be changed to that of a support warframe. Hell, maybe change shock to a skill than can also "hit" friendlies and give them another short term buff or something - however do note that I don't necessarily want this. What I personally would find more interesting would be the ability to "combo" Volts own moves to create cool effects (as I outlined in another post here) and reinforce his position as a "caster" frame.

Edit: I just realized that I only though about Volts abilities to combo, but didn't actually write about it! Haha, I'll do that now.

So, since both speed and shield have a duration, I think something cool should happen if you use shock while they are up.

While speed is active and you use shock, everybody who is buffed by it, should also discharge a shock (or a radial electricity wave), because you already charged them with electricity and now your team mates act as conduits for you.

On the other hand, if you got shield up or deployed somewhere and shoot a shock through it, it should get amplified and deal it's damage in a big cone, not just the arc of lightning we know.

This would give Volt more things to do with his abilities, make equipping all of them a good idea and finally reinforce his place as a "caster" frame (tbh I think most frames would profit from such a set up for their abilities, but this is a Volt thread after all).

Edited by Wojek

I don't really think it would be overpowered at all. You'd still have Vauban dominating infested (mobile) defense and Frost for grineer and corpus (mobile) defense. The mobile shield would make him a favored choice in (solo) boss runs on corpus bosses, but I don't think he would out do banshee with her sonar for other types of bosses, although he does provide the speed boost for the whole team, which is nice for rushing to and from the boss. It would probably an even competetition between both of these, most probably left to personal choice. Other than that, whatever, the other kind of mission types hardly have any specific requirements. He would probably be a bit more durable than the other squishy frames, but is still lacking in other areas, since he has no real crowd control and the "importance" of speed for group speed runs would also be left unchanged.

Of course this is all just conjecture, but I can hardly see it happening any other way.

Funnily enough, this would remove Volt even further from his advertised "alternative to gunplay", since the shield makes guns even better.

With speed and shield, his description should probably be changed to that of a support warframe. Hell, maybe change shock to a skill than can also "hit" friendlies and give them another short term buff or something - however do note that I don't necessarily want this. What I personally would find more interesting would be the ability to "combo" Volts own moves to create cool effects (as I outlined in another post here) and reinforce his position as a "caster" frame.

Edit: I just realized that I only though about Volts abilities to combo, but didn't actually write about it! Haha, I'll do that now.

So, since both speed and shield have a duration, I think something cool should happen if you use shock while they are up.

While speed is active and you use shock, everybody who is buffed by it, should also discharge a shock (or a radial electricity wave), because you already charged them with electricity and now your team mates act as conduits for you.

On the other hand, if you got shield up or deployed somewhere and shoot a shock through it, it should get amplified and deal it's damage in a big cone, not just the arc of lightning we know.

This would give Volt more things to do with his abilities, make equipping all of them a good idea and finally reinforce his place as a "caster" frame (tbh I think most frames would profit from such a set up for their abilities, but this is a Volt thread after all).

I was actually thinking along the lines of it being balanced against the enemies you're fighting. It would definitely not make Volt the best warframe, but I just don't want Volt to be a gunning power house because of the mobile Electric Shield. That may just be me who feels this way, and maybe weird that I want him to sill be fair to the enemies.

If the mobile Electric Shield were to still cost 50 energy, I think maybe the electric damage buff would need to be lowered, or the duration to be shorter. Or a slight decrease to both benefits. I just don't think the risk of being shot at from a direction the shield is not blocking at will be enough to compensate its dynamic mobility.

and hahaha, yeah. I agree that the mobile shield would stray Volt further away from his current description. Volt's abilities right now don't really fit the "alternative to gunplay". Except maybe Shock, but it's currently not an good alternative to using the guns. And, Yeah, I really wouldn't mind Volt's description being changed, as I really do love Speed and Electric Shield. Otherwise, the developers will need to change up his abilities to fit the "caster" role, or try what you suggest with Shock and Electric Shield.

This mobile Electrical Shield sparked an idea. Why not make it some sort of Overshield that while active gives you the damage bonus? I can think of ways to balance this as I also know this could be abused, but bare with me. How this shield will act is an overshield to your parties current shields. It lasts for the duration and while it is active you also get the benefits as you would be shooting through the current Electrical Shield. But it is applied to teamates in a close range, maybe the range of the speed ability. When it goes down on a player, they lose the overshield and the damage bonus. You will not be able to reapply it until the end of the duration or everyone has lost the shield completely.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Feel free to criticize or add to it.

This mobile Electrical Shield sparked an idea. Why not make it some sort of Overshield that while active gives you the damage bonus? I can think of ways to balance this as I also know this could be abused, but bare with me. How this shield will act is an overshield to your parties current shields. It lasts for the duration and while it is active you also get the benefits as you would be shooting through the current Electrical Shield. But it is applied to teamates in a close range, maybe the range of the speed ability. When it goes down on a player, they lose the overshield and the damage bonus. You will not be able to reapply it until the end of the duration or everyone has lost the shield completely.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Feel free to criticize or add to it.

From my point of view, you didn't change much about the current mobile shield idea, but turn it into a group wide copy of iron skin.

There's really no reason for this change, as it also would put Volt more into the support role.

I'd rather have the regular shield, albeit a bit bigger, moving with Volt and then he can provide cover for teammaters if he so dares.

This is all pretty good, but does a 5 second boost in melee speed really help?  Especially at only 10% boost.  Fully modded out it becomes useful in combat, but anything other than that its pretty useless in combat.

You need to learn to use Continuity and Constitution.

This is all pretty good, but does a 5 second boost in melee speed really help?  Especially at only 10% boost.  Fully modded out it becomes useful in combat, but anything other than that its pretty useless in combat.

For a frame with an armor rating of 10? In my opinion, no increased melee rate is pretty useless, and would actually get you killed if you tried to make use of it.

For a frame with an armor rating of 10? In my opinion, no increased melee rate is pretty useless, and would actually get you killed if you tried to make use of it.

Unless speed give the enemy an accuracy debuff so they miss half the bullets and the melee speed boost is increased.

There is a visual issue that I found with overload. When you change your energy color it changes the electricity color, but when you do overload there is still that extra purple shockwave animation and I just can't get past it. I don't know about others but this should at least have like a secondary energy coloring option.

well the melee speed buff is awesome.

Maxy Fury + Speed + Broks Fragor is pretty awesome.

Volt is tied for the highest base shield %. He may not be able to wade through hits like some frames but with a possible + 150% regen rate + 1k sheilds; he can def do some nasty hit and run strikes.

I do agree his other skills need a MASSIVE dps boost to compete with usability of the other frames. 

Edited by ADDpillz

People still want Volt to do higher numbers. This is a bad idea, and here's why~

At higher levels, you still won't do enough damage.

Like Vauban, Volt's abilities need to have effects, or 'equations' as I like to call them. If you just ask for a higher damage output, he will still be outclassed by frames who do things asides from numbers. Vauban can have the weakest set up of mods and his bastialle will still prove extremely useful on the battlefield, regardless of the level. Because it does no numbers, only gives an effect. Like an equation, the equation doesn't give a number outright, but you can plug any number into it's variables and get an outcome. Volt shields could instead of giving electricity damage, give a damage multiplier! Or Shock could take off 1/3rd of the max-health of any enemy (except bosses). You could say that's overpowered, but it's an effect that lasts anywhere, because its not a number, its an equation. And equations can accept any number.

Edited by Lyelentu

There is alot of threads about Volt, but isn't was even mentioned in the stream yesterday. Looks like this frame always will be broken.

Also, Volt should have base speed near Loki.

They have a lot of things to do with the game. Its not easy managing everything all at the same time, but at least acknowledgement of Volt's brokenness is almost necessary (in my opinion). I'm really sad that Volt continues to be broken, and below decent.

Volt's speed (again in my opinion) should be 1.15-1.2. Speed is disgusting right now (I shouldn't have to keep saying this, IN MY OPINION), so increased base speed would be beautiful. Also, increased base power would be nice.

Frankly, three things need to happen here:

First, ALL 'Frames with a base armor below 40 need to have a review.  The concept that shields make up for low armor just DOESN'T work.  Loki is the only one that regularly gets away with it, and that's because of his speed and synergistic skills that DON'T FOCUS ON IMMOBILIZING HIM.

Second, Volt's skills need a complete rehash.  THEY AREN'T CUTTING IT.  Lightning is the WEAKEST damage type; Volt's Shock is UTTERLY USELESS next to Tesla because Tesla ACTUALLY HITS LOTS OF PEOPLE.  Speed is not a "potent alternative to gunplay".  Lightning shield?  I love how it works with Dera, but why is the Warframe of lightning sitting still so much to use this skill (WHY IS A SQUISHY UNIT EVER SITTING STILL?!?!)?  And as for Overload...  well, this move stopped being good when I was stuck in the air for longer than my foes were stunned.  It's fine if you're running low-level stuff and can KILL with this move, but if enemies survive the damage, you usually die from being an enormous floating, glowing target.

Third is this:  Devs, PLEASE rethink Volt's (and Ember's) roll in combat.  The skills they have DO NOT MATCH the Shield/Armor/Health/Speed balances.  The range they work at is counter-intuitive to the defences they possess.  If super-high level mobs are here to stay (and why shouldn't they be?), then ALL 'Frames should have a chance at top difficulty.  Nothing ruins a gaming experience quite like being excluded from end-game after putting WEEKS (or even MONTHS!) of work on a given character.

Edited by Cytobel

I say it all the time, Volt is seriously underpowered. It's understandable that the devs have much on their hands now and cant immediately jump to his rescue, but at least acknowledging his absolute stupidity would be nice. Like Cytobel said, his skills don't match his stats, and he has essentially no role in combat. He's not fast, not a damage dealer, hardly versatile in a useful way, and he's not a tank in the slightest. What the hell is Volt exactly?

I was actually thinking along the lines of it being balanced against the enemies you're fighting. It would definitely not make Volt the best warframe, but I just don't want Volt to be a gunning power house because of the mobile Electric Shield. That may just be me who feels this way, and maybe weird that I want him to sill be fair to the enemies.

If the mobile Electric Shield were to still cost 50 energy, I think maybe the electric damage buff would need to be lowered, or the duration to be shorter. Or a slight decrease to both benefits. I just don't think the risk of being shot at from a direction the shield is not blocking at will be enough to compensate its dynamic mobility.

The thing is, DE said something about bringing up all the Frames to Vauban's and Nova's level. If that's really their goal, they will have to change the enemies, too! So first of all we'd need to see how the mobile shield works out (without any changes to what kind of buffs it gives) and then wait and see how the new artificial intelligence, as well as statistics of the new mobs work out.

First, ALL 'Frames with a base armor below 40 need to have a review.  The concept that shields make up for low armor just DOESN'T work.  Loki is the only one that regularly gets away with it, and that's because of his speed and synergistic skills that DON'T FOCUS ON IMMOBILIZING HIM.

As a side-note, I never got this. I have banshee, volt and nyx and never had a situation where I though that more armor would have saved me. I just ... I just don't know what you guys do that you perceive this as a problem. Maybe you should just use shade instead of deth cube or something or upgrade your redirection to at least 280% (I found this to be quite the sweet spot, has a cost of 10, so it gets halved to 5 or a if I got no D-polarity, then it's 10 flat, which also fits into most loadouts).

The thing is, DE said something about bringing up all the Frames to Vauban's and Nova's level. If that's really their goal, they will have to change the enemies, too! So first of all we'd need to see how the mobile shield works out (without any changes to what kind of buffs it gives) and then wait and see how the new artificial intelligence, as well as statistics of the new mobs work out.

Yeah, it would be better to test out the mobile shield with no change to the stats at first. Even without new AI and stats for the enemies, I think single steps at a time are best for testing such things too. It's just that I have this gut feeling inside that it could potentially be too powerful, and I guess that's just me.

Especially with the announcement in the very recent live stream, where they stated that they are planning on changing up armors, elemental damage and such. Those changes would definitely be new factors to consider too.

Second, Volt's skills need a complete rehash.  THEY AREN'T CUTTING IT.  Lightning is the WEAKEST damage type; Volt's Shock is UTTERLY USELESS next to Tesla because Tesla ACTUALLY HITS LOTS OF PEOPLE.  Speed is not a "potent alternative to gunplay".  Lightning shield?  I love how it works with Dera, but why is the Warframe of lightning sitting still so much to use this skill (WHY IS A SQUISHY UNIT EVER SITTING STILL?!?!)?  And as for Overload...  well, this move stopped being good when I was stuck in the air for longer than my foes were stunned.  It's fine if you're running low-level stuff and can KILL with this move, but if enemies survive the damage, you usually die from being an enormous floating, glowing target.

Third is this:  Devs, PLEASE rethink Volt's (and Ember's) roll in combat.  The skills they have DO NOT MATCH the Shield/Armor/Health/Speed balances.  The range they work at is counter-intuitive to the defences they possess.  If super-high level mobs are here to stay (and why shouldn't they be?), then ALL 'Frames should have a chance at top difficulty.  Nothing ruins a gaming experience quite like being excluded from end-game after putting WEEKS (or even MONTHS!) of work on a given character.

And what do you know about fixing Volt?

I am just going to keep periodically posting this until it trends: 

What if Volts Electric Shields could also be conductors for his Ultimate like the way computers and lights are....it would give an entire new utility aspect for both his ultimate and his 3 skill. 

It would not require that much new coding/designing to implement and it would solve many current problems while providing a new strategic utility to Volt.

Now, Volt could use his shields at choke points like a jacked-up version of Vabauns Telsa turrets except Volt's ult would be the trigger to set them off. 

Implementing this would be like getting two birds stoned at once. 

Edited by ADDpillz