Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What does "All rights reserved" mean?

(XBOX)LAZYNOOB2017

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes, you're fine. It just means that they reserve all the rights given by copyright law, such as the right to change the product, or distribute it. It means they keep all those rights, unless they specifically give permission to someone else.

It's almost like a legal catch-all (not really at all but it's a good summary). You don't need to worry about it as long as what you're doing isn't prohibited. Streaming is fine. A good way to check is that if something is allowed on YouTube or Twitch, it's probably okay to stream. Outlast has LOADS of videos and streams.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

4 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Yes, you're fine. It just means that they reserve all the rights given by copyright law, such as the right to change the product, or distribute it. It means they keep all those rights, unless they specifically give permission to someone else.

It's almost like a legal catch-all (not really at all but it's a good summary). You don't need to worry about it as long as what you're doing isn't prohibited. Streaming is fine.

How am I supposed to know whether I'm allowed to stream in other games?

Edited by (XB1)LAZYNOOB2015

6 minutes ago, (Xbox One)LAZYNOOB2015 said:

Usually you're fine to do so. Very, very rarely are you not able to, like if a game isn't out yet and you're under NDA.

Assume you can. Most of the time, you'll be right. If other people are doing it, 99% of the time you can do it too.

most companies don't mind it so long as the game is actually out.   Getting pre-release stuff and streaming it is a No-no and a whole field of legal issues.      Other then that.   Pretty safe to stream just about any game.  Though.  Sega and Nintendo seem to be hit and miss.  Some things they are okay with,  others not so much o.O.

11 minutes ago, (Xbox One)LAZYNOOB2015 said:

If you really need to be sure, that's what their EULA is there for. But really streaming is pretty much universally accepted, but a quick search brings up this list for twitch https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1992676-list-of-prohibited-games, which seems to be games they've banned (seriously, some of those titles are rediculous), rather then the individual games banning streams.

Edited by rapt0rman

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)LAZYNOOB2015 said:

As long as there are no special circumstances like other people have mentioned, there shouldn't be an issue from anyone other than Nintendo when it comes to Streaming. If in doubt though, most publishers/developers have an explicit statement somewhere on their website or in their forums granting gamers the right to stream/record/monetize under certain conditions (usually giving copyright disclaimers, linking to their website, and not putting things behind paywalls.) You can always hunt that stuff down, usually find it by looking for Monetization Policy, Twitch Policy, or YouTube Policy.

Edited by Ceryk

19 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

If you really need to be sure, that's what their EULA is there for. But really streaming is pretty much universally accepted, but a quick search brings up this list for twitch https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1992676-list-of-prohibited-games, which seems to be games they've banned (seriously, some of those titles are rediculous), rather then the individual games banning streams.

4th from the bottom is an absolute rollercoaster of a title