Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

THOUGHTS ON THIS PC PLZ

Dark5eiD

Question

So my pc is dying as it s very old. punishment trying to play warframe at this point. i found this pc that is 1 year old that is a reasonable priced. could you please provide some opinions as to wether or no you think this is a good idea to purchase. This is not the hardware i normally use. i mainly play warframe, but also play masseffect. please find a specs below.

btw this is priced around $900 CDN.. which is in my budget, building a new PC would cost me alot more from what i can see.

thanks for your help :)

9MYASdv.png

Edited by Lord_Impaler

7 answers to this question

Decent hardware. Mid-range for its time, but kinda outdated now. I can tell you it's definitely not gonna run battlefield 4 at 70-90 fps unless you turn down all the settings and maybe even resolution. At least it will totally run warframe, no problem with that at all. 

As for the price, you could easily get better if you build custom. If you aren't familiar with PC parts, it can be extremely intimidating to pick your parts on your own; but don't worry! People have done all that work for you. I introduce pcmasterrace's build section. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds

In your price range, it looks like you could get "the exterminator", and then replace the rx 470 with a gtx 1060 like so: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R7xQGf. That's going to be a very respectable rig that will probably run battlefield 4 at 100-120 fps. If it's not quite in your budget you could get the lower vram 3gb version of the 1060. That basically means that you very specifically won't be able to push the texture quality of games quite as far, but it's still going to be solid on everything else. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xTz3NN

Please, let me know if you have any questions

Edited by Phasedragon

at a quick glance it seems decent. Everything there is pretty much decent and from what you said you would use it for, should do the job without a problem. It isn't anything special though from what I can see. It seems like an ok deal. If you just wanted a second opinion and need to buy it quickly, go ahead, otherwise I'd recommend waiting for someone to comment who knows himself out a bit more than I do on computers.

Edited by gkuoni

That's a good PC, but I personally wouldn't buy it. The AMD FX CPU is good, for the moment, but it's not gonna be long until AMD's Ryzen CPUs will release, and the FX will become obsolete instantly, due to how many drawbacks they have. Meanwhile, the GPU... Well, it's very good, but it's an HD series, so, it has quite the power draw, compared to, say, the R7 370 (which is the second re-release of that card), which has half the power draw.

If you really need the computer now, look for one that has an Intel Quad Core CPU, especially one of the newer ones and at least a GeForce 1060 or Radeon RX 480. If not, you can wait until Ryzen releases, check the performance then comparatively to Intel CPUs, and make a more informed decision.

That's a good computer, don't get me wrong, just, not good enough for the long haul. It will fall off really fast, as newer, more demanding games will come out.

P.S. Drop the Optical Drive if you have decent internet. Most games nowadays that come on disc just have an almost empty disc with the just steam installer anyway, so, you'll still have to download them. Therefore, it's just extra cost for little use.

Edited by Gabbynaru

I'm pretty sure if you used places like Freegeek you could easily beat that price with a similar level of hardware. Though I'm not sure what part of Canada you'd be based in or if you have access to Vancouver. You'd have to spend a fair amount of time on second hand sites for the gpu, but the risk carried is the same as wherever you would go used.

That advertised pc isn't terrible but I personally wouldn't buy it - the seller is being on the optimistic side with the framerates it'll produce. Let's allow him 'artistic license' shall we.

Some of the parts don't have listed model numbers - the PSU for example. It immediately brings into mind the CX line of Corsair's Power supplies, which are fine for Office and light web stuff etc. but I would never use for any normal gaming. Particularly not with that line of GPU, as power sapping as they are.

1 hour ago, Lord_Impaler said:

So my pc is dying as it s very old. punishment trying to play warframe at this point. i found this pc that is 1 year old that is a reasonable priced. could you please provide some opinions as to wether or no you think this is a good idea to purchase. This is not the hardware i normally use. i mainly play warframe, but also play masseffect. please find a specs below.

btw this is priced around $900 CDN.. which is in my budget, building a new PC would cost me alot more from what i can see.

9MYASdv.png

This PC is very similar to what I have right now. It will definitely run Warframe without any trouble. Yes, you can run BF 4 at those FPS as long as you don't go above 1080p resolution. That's the highest resolution my TV supports so I haven't needed to go higher than that.

I will say that the overall price listed does seem higher than it should be. But that could just be because I'm use to building my own PCs.

Edited by DatDarkOne
correcting autocorrect

3 hours ago, Lord_Impaler said:

9MYASdv.png

A 'one year old' PC with four year old parts. You can do better, even on that budget.