Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Snow Globes

DEATHLOK

Question

This should have been done when the Frost/Ember frames became available, but perhaps we could share some ideas about the effective use of Frost's Snow Globes.

I find them highly effective for Defense and Excavation missions, missions wherein mobility has been compromised. I wonder how many others think the same way.

I don't use them on Interception missions unless I am asked to do so by other players. I will generally ask if anyone wants one on a particular node, so they know the offer is there. I do not take it personally if no want wants them on the map—unless it's a higher level mission and I'm having trouble.

Snow Globes can be placed at entrances to slow the influx of enemies, but they have to be quite large to be effective, and the enemy threat should merit the extra defense. But never place snow globes around haphazardly, as they often protect enemies more than allies or objectives. Many of us know what it's like to find ourselves unable to fight because errant Snow Globes are in our way.

Bigger is generally better. Blast damage passes through Globes. There's no where to hide in a tiny Snow Globe when Bombard are incoming. Small, stronger Globes can be more effective when Nullifiers are around, but otherwise you go big or go home.

Remove Snow Globes you no longer need. Hit them from the outside with your first power. It's good manners and good house keeping.

Please share your feelings if you have a moment.

Edited by DEATHLOK

16 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, DEATHLOK said:

Remove Snow Globes you no longer need. Hit them from the outside with your first power. It's good manners and good house keeping.

This is one that I highly suggest players to do. Some players don't like having snow globes in random spots that stop your teams bullets from hitting a big group of enemies that you have to go in the globe to kill, but you end up dying.

Can I suggest people think hard about the faction you are fighting?  Snow Globes against the infested can be nothing more than a way of blocking clear fields of fire around the objective unless you have the augment or someone hangs around in the globe dispatching the ones that get that far.

17 minutes ago, SquattingMouse said:

Can I suggest people think hard about the faction you are fighting?  Snow Globes against the infested can be nothing more than a way of blocking clear fields of fire around the objective unless you have the augment or someone hangs around in the globe dispatching the ones that get that far.

It's still useful for excavation, where you just need to keep the thing alive. 

But for defence avalanche all the way, globes are just annoying. 

Eh, bigger is not always better. It's up to preference for how big you want snowglobe as enemies can still walk inside it. 145% range is the minimum desired but you have to be at the center to avoid the blast aoe from rockets. The Ice wave impedance augment would be better than placing snowglobes at an entrance imo, HOWEVER, combined with snowglobe, it's a deathwish for any non-nullifier hostile walking inside it. Also consider that snowglobe also pushes enemies outside of it's radius when cast, dealing damage to them in the process if they collide into anything

56 minutes ago, DEATHLOK said:

Bigger is generally better. Blast damage passes through Globes. There's no where to hide in a tiny Snow Globe when Bombard are incoming.

Not anymore, actually. Bombard/Napalm explosives no longer have wallhax, so Frost no longer needs max range when building his Globe. Unless you're building for better CC, that is.

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

7 minutes ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

Not anymore, actually. Bombard/Napalm explosives no longer have wallhax, so Frost no longer needs max range when building his Globe. Unless you're building for better CC, that is.

When was this?

1 hour ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

IIRC it was in the patches just before the Glast Gambit. You'd have to read the patch notes to find it, but it's a thing and Frost players everywhere rejoiced.

Ah, that explains a bit since i was on a bit of a hiatus prior

On 2.1.2017 at 6:38 PM, TrickshotMcGee said:

NAPALMS actually can penetrate through the Snow globe. only bombard rockets dont get inside the globe. on ps4 we have the Build 19.5.7 i dont know if they fix napalms in further updates!

or is it fixed at the latest PC Update build notes?

On 2.1.2017 at 6:48 PM, TrickshotMcGee said:

IIRC it was in the patches just before the Glast Gambit. You'd have to read the patch notes to find it, but it's a thing and Frost players everywhere rejoiced.

can you show me this patchnote about the Snow globe changes? is there mentioned if napalms were introduced too??

2 hours ago, (PS4)NoVa_Erk said:

NAPALMS actually can penetrate through the Snow globe. only bombard rockets dont get inside the globe. on ps4 we have the Build 19.5.7 i dont know if they fix napalms in further updates!

Scorches can still kill you through an intact globe for certain.  I had the pleasure of one wiping out our whole squad in one blast in yesterday's sortie.  I wonder about the cat ladies and their crazy AoE fire damage - that probably still kills you as well.

2 hours ago, (PS4)NoVa_Erk said:

can you show me this patchnote about the Snow globe changes? is there mentioned if napalms were introduced too??

This was NOT a change to snow globe.  It was a change to the bombard's rocket.

In the fixes section...

• Fixed numerous issues with enemy projectiles being able to affect players through solid objects. Affected enemies are as follows:
    o Bombard
    o Corrupted Bombard
    o Manic Bombard
    o Hellion
    o Denial Bursa
    o Drover Bursa
    o Comba/Scrambus
    o Executioner Gorth
    o Executioner Vay Molta
    o Shik Tal
    o Zanuka
    o Jackal
    o Vay Hek Terra Frame
    o Tyl Regor
    o Kela de Thaym

18 hours ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

Scorches can still kill you through an intact globe for certain.  I had the pleasure of one wiping out our whole squad in one blast in yesterday's sortie.  I wonder about the cat ladies and their crazy AoE fire damage - that probably still kills you as well.

This was NOT a change to snow globe.  It was a change to the bombard's rocket.

In the fixes section...

• Fixed numerous issues with enemy projectiles being able to affect players through solid objects. Affected enemies are as follows:
    o Bombard
    o Corrupted Bombard
    o Manic Bombard
    o Hellion
    o Denial Bursa
    o Drover Bursa
    o Comba/Scrambus
    o Executioner Gorth
    o Executioner Vay Molta
    o Shik Tal
    o Zanuka
    o Jackal
    o Vay Hek Terra Frame
    o Tyl Regor
    o Kela de Thaym

OK, i even dont read anything about napalms !! thats sad. it is ridiculous how many range they have honestly!! the spread inside the bubble at 160 is so bad, that you have to get to the other side of your globe to avoid his napalm proc or damage.

on WIKI there are the NAPALMS included. is it now only this list or will they add the napalms to the list?

Edited by (PS4)NoVa_Erk