The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutagen Samples and Mutagen Masses

SpydrXIII

So it already seems that removing Helminth Cysts will be a feature of the infested wing of the ship.  Might I add more infested laboratory functionality by letting you separate Mutagen Masses into Mutagen Samples?  You can think of it like the incubator.  You do a mission to get the initial part (organism in this case), but it takes time and breaks/destroys some of the Mutagen Samples in the separation process.  So there are other constructible upgrades, like how we make the incubator more efficient.  So after upgrading (maybe a total of 3 upgrade tiers) you can get more and more Mutagen Samples successfully separated from the Mutagen Mass.  The final tier, of course, letting you get the full 10 Samples from one Mass.  And for some bonus fun an optional super upgrade, going beyond getting the full 10 samples out (like 15 samples).  Maybe some kind of crazy infested mouth thing you feed the samples to and with time it can split the Mutagen Mass into more Mutagen Samples then it actually takes to make a Mutagen Mass.  Maybe this mouth upgrade does all sorts of neat genetic tricks.  It could be a great Infested material sink for late game.  Like mutating or digesting organic materials into other things.  Or just taking the nonsellable materials and converting them into a new sellable resource, so we can finally clean up some of that inventory space!

I've thought over this as well. My suggestion would be to use the pherliac pods for some way to farm gain mutagen samples. It is also just terrible to see that the most used clan resource has the lowest reward rate on invasions. it's crafting resources are also the least accesible research resource (hurray to mutagen samples/masses).

Add to this that infested outbreaks cannot trigger a special event, like zanuka hunter or g3, and it is just clear to me that infested are truly meant to be farmed for hours without gaining anything significant. Not to mention that infested still tend to be a mixture of completely frustrating toxin oneshots and boresome 1 hit kills for almost anything in the game.

What I would really like to see is pherliac pods or completing infested outbreak missions being used to add some nice new mechanic/unit to the infested faction. It could also be a great idea to add a relay with a myconian style where we could trade pherliac pods for mutagen samples. This would probably be like very few mutagens per pod, but it still means you get a S#&$load of mutagens if you've got yourself a good stack of those useless juggernaut drops.

I do not think resource pricing should be changed, but the way in which you get that resource could. It doesn't even have to be much imho, but right now i've come to the conclusion that in best case scenario's you are still spending a few days of game time to farm the samples, game time for which you must find the right squad over and over.