The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How about a Crossbow that acts like an actual Crossbow?

-AoN-CanoLathra-

So, with the recent string of bow-only sorties, I realized that, while I do enjoy our current selection of bows, our crossbows seem to be a bit lacking, as we only have two, and they are functionally identical to assault rifles barring the bullet drop. I also find it annoying that I have to dedicate 2-3 mod slots to fire rate and reload on normal bows just to make them viable. So, why not have one that combines the single-shot damage of a traditional bow with the ready-to-shoot ease of a crossbow?

So here is my weapons concept:

Name - Venator

Description: Hunt down your enemies with this high-power Tenno crossbow.

Stats:

• Mastery Rank:  5
  • Weapon Slot:  Primary
  • Weapon Type:  Crossbow
  • Trigger Type:  Semi-Auto
  •  
  • Noise Level:  Silent
  • Fire Rate:  ∞*
  • Charge Rate:  1 sec/charge
  • Accuracy:  100.0
  • Magazine Size:  10
  • Max Ammo:  72
  • Riven Disposition:  Neutral to start
  • Reload Time:  2 seconds
  •  
  • Physical Damage:  200
  • Impact:                     20
  • Puncture:               100
  • Slash:                      80
  • Crit Chance:  35%
  • Crit Multiplier:  2.0
  • Status Chance: 15%
  • Punch Through:  1m

*Has no actual fire rate. Weapon automatically chambers and charges the next bolt. Bolts can be fired as soon as they are charged. Charge time is affected by Fire Rate mods.

If you fire the last round in a mag, you must reload the mag and then wait for the charge to complete. If you reload before firing the last shot in the mag, your charged bolt is preserved, and you can fire as soon as the reload is finished.

Charging is indicated by a ring around the crosshair, just like charge shots and reloads on other weapons. Ring remains solid while zoomed in to indicate a bolt is loaded.

Accuracy is reduced to 16.7 for non-zoomed shots, just like normal bows and snipers.

So, what do you think? Would you use it? Do you think it could ever be implemented? What are some of the problems you see with it? Would its unique auto-charge function work?

49 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

I also find it annoying that I have to dedicate 2-3 mod slots to fire rate and reload on normal bows just to make them viable

1 Vile Acceleration is completely fine on both Paris Prime and Dread. 

That said, I really like your concept. I would at least consider using this, especially with that nice crit chance. 

Why not make it so it has no charge up, no mag, but instead a relatively long reload time, I think that would better represent a crossbow.

So after you load an arrow it is always ready to fire. Though that might just be a single shot sniper rifle without hitscan.

5 minutes ago, Taddl said:

Why not make it so it has no charge up, no mag, but instead a relatively long reload time, I think that would better represent a crossbow.

So after you load an arrow it is always ready to fire. Though that might just be a single shot sniper rifle without hitscan.

And you have to stand still to reload it, putting it on the ground and standing on it while you wind back the firing wire and nock a new bolt in it.

Yeah, not sure you REALLY want a cross bow that 'acts like an actual crossbow'. According to a quick search, relading a crossbow depending on type can take anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds.

6 hours ago, Ciaus said:
7 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

I also find it annoying that I have to dedicate 2-3 mod slots to fire rate and reload on normal bows just to make them viable

1 Vile Acceleration is completely fine on both Paris Prime and Dread. 

That said, I really like your concept. I would at least consider using this, especially with that nice crit chance. 

I don't like the Damage Reduction from Vile Acc., so I typically run Shred for extra punchthrough and Speed Trigger for the charge speed. I only add Vile Acc. on the Daikyu because it needs it.

6 hours ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:
6 hours ago, Taddl said:

And you have to stand still to reload it, putting it on the ground and standing on it while you wind back the firing wire and nock a new bolt in it.

Yeah, not sure you REALLY want a cross bow that 'acts like an actual crossbow'. According to a quick search, relading a crossbow depending on type can take anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds.

Yeah, I was going more for a modern compound crossbow mechanism, but a fancy one with a motor to pull the string for you and a top-mounted magazine to feed the bolts. That way there's no mandatory unzooming to charge it.

51 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

I don't like the Damage Reduction from Vile Acc., so I typically run Shred for extra punchthrough and Speed Trigger for the charge speed. I only add Vile Acc. on the Daikyu because it needs it.

Fair, I guess the VA is just such an insane speed boost that I've gotten used to it. Can't go back to the +60% one anymore XD
Also you normally do better using 1 slot for VA than 2 for speed mods, because the extra damage you can put on almost always brings more to the table. 

27 minutes ago, Ciaus said:
1 hour ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Fair, I guess the VA is just such an insane speed boost that I've gotten used to it. Can't go back to the +60% one anymore XD
Also you normally do better using 1 slot for VA than 2 for speed mods, because the extra damage you can put on almost always brings more to the table.

True, but I like the extra punchthrough from shred, as it lets my hit enemies behind cover and/or hit several at a time.