Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime build

genr8k

Question

this is what I currently have on my soma prime,  It is not my main weapon, but I still like to use it.

WkUS7So.jpg

The Riven mod is +75.3% crit  chance, +49.8 status duration, and has 3 rolls.  I got the riven from sortie when they first started.

I eventually want to max out Heavy Caliber, so this current setup would take all my modding points unless I add more forma.  .

Here are my questions,

1: is this the best I can do, or can it be improved? I took this to a lvl 40-50 void and it easily killed everything there, but haven't taken it to sortie yet.

2: should I continue to put forma into it so I can fill the last spot, or maybe change 1 out to add an element mod?  I would need to add 2-3 more forma on this to add 1 element mod,

3: I have 97% crit chance without Critical Delay,  Does the extra 15% crit chance make a difference.  the -fire rate helps with ammo, but ammo is never in short suppl.  I was thinking of removing it and adding forma so I can add 2 elemental mods.  

I really don't like how I have to re lvl the weapon every time I put forma on it, especially since I can only put 1 forma on it at 1 time.  

Any Suggestions are welcome,  

Edited by shiro.OoKami

12 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, Eleodon said:

Where is elemental ? You may switch Critical delay for Elec + Poison to get Corrosive... 

as it is right now I don't have room for an elemental, but I will remove critical delay and put forma on it to make room. Im saving the current 2 points for when I lvl up heavy caliber.  Im thinking of putting a bar polarity on it for elemental so I can switch them out depending on the enemy.  

48 minutes ago, bluepheonix13 said:

Critical delay is a weak mod, you should exchange it for an elemental mod or firerate. And you should absolutely forma it again to fill that last slot if you like it. 

Thank you,  I was not sure the extra crit chance it gives was worth it.  I am assuming I will be needing to forma it another 2-3 times to add elemental.  1 for Point strike, 1 for vital sense, and 1 for elemental.  

19 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

cut critical delay for an elemental combo. generally corrosive. Reroll the riven to get + crit chance  and + damage or crit damage.

I have thought about that, but with the RNG of the rivens it might be a while before that happens, if ever. Especially since they made it harder for meta weapons like Soma to get good stats.  The stats on it are the original ones, and its been rolled 3 times.  Plus i don't find Kuva farming fun.  I got 8 rivens i got from sortie, this is the only one that is for a weapon I like and use regularly,  all my others were for miter, and miter type weapons that rivens can't help, or for weapons that I don't like.

I have some kuva left so i might re-roll it again. 

Thank you for the tip on what I should look for in the riven, I wasn't 100% on what i should try to get. 

Edited by shiro.OoKami

2 hours ago, shiro.OoKami said:

1: is this the best I can do, or can it be improved? I took this to a lvl 40-50 void and it easily killed everything there, but haven't taken it to sortie yet

It is a straight forward crit build but it lacks elemental mods. 

2: should I continue to put forma into it so I can fill the last spot, or maybe change 1 out to add an element mod?  I would need to add 2-3 more forma on this to add 1 element mod,

That is your decision to make. If you want to use that weapon long term why not. I have 4 forma on it and do not regret it. 

3: I have 97% crit chance without Critical Delay,  Does the extra 15% crit chance make a difference.  the -fire rate helps with ammo, but ammo is never in short suppl.  I was thinking of removing it and adding forma so I can add 2 elemental mods.  

I would remove critical delay because 97% crit is more than enough. And you will probably not like it but I would also remove that riven. Soma P with point strike has 75% crit chance. Soma P is a bullet hose. And 75% will make 3 of 4 bullets crit (if you hit the head). The riven is too expensive in terms of mods space for the little it does to improve the Soma P.  

The only reason you would go for more than 100% crit chance is when you have a shot at red crits at 200%. But that is not the case with your build. Something like bladed rounds would be better in terms of effective damage. 

And yes you should add two elemental mods. Otherwise you will not kill those sortie 3 enemies. This would be my advice for a "normal OP" Soma P build that does high crit damage.

Serration
Split Chamber
Heavy Calliber
Point Strike
Vital Sense
Bladed Rounds
Shred
Infected Clip
Stormbringer

EDIT: I put 9 mods in here ... shame on me.

Edited by k05h

36 minutes ago, k05h said:

I would remove critical delay because 97% crit is more than enough. And you will probably not like it but I would also remove that riven. Soma P with point strike has 75% crit chance. Soma P is a bullet hose. And 75% will make 3 of 4 bullets crit (if you hit the head). The riven is too expensive in terms of mods space for the little it does to improve the Soma P.  

The only reason you would go for more than 100% crit chance is when you have a shot at red crits at 200%. But that is not the case with your build. Something like bladed rounds would be better in terms in effective damage. 

And yes you should add two elemental mods. Otherwise you will not kill those sortie 3 enemies. This would be my advice for a "normal OP" Soma P build that does high crit damage.

Serration
Split Chamber
Heavy Calliber
Point Strike
Vital Sense
Bladed Rounds
Shred
Infected Clip
Stormbringer

Thank you,  

Do you have any advice on what I can use besides Bladed Rounds, or know when it will be available?   I have some plat, but Id prefer to use it on cosmetics, and weapons/warframe slots.  I'll go to the market and see what prices I get.  

I realized the Riven mod isn't really worth the space with its current stats.  I wasn't using it for a while, then tried it out and started seeing more red crits, so I just left it.    i will re-roll it when I have enough kuva.  Not a big fan of farming for the stuff so it might be a while. Until then I will probably let it sit with the other mods. 

Is it even possible to get a red crit build on a soma?

Edited by shiro.OoKami

With rivens it's pretty hard due to the fact that the Soma has one of the worst dispositions in the entire game.

The easiest way to get a red critting soma would be taking hold of Argon Scope (on headshot +135% crit chance while aiming for 9s).

On top of that due to ammo constraint and this being a horde game you're really tight on mod space. Once you fit in the mandatory slots, namely Serration, Split Chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, two elementals you're left with only 2 slots one of which is basically Shred period. It's unlikely for a riven to be able to top Heavy Caliber (+62% total damage) or Bladed Rounds (+52% total damage).

I'll share a rule of thumb i use for guns like the Soma. If you want to use a Riven for it, your aim shoud be to get Punchthrough on the Riven and use it in place of Shred. That way you cab use your Riven for some added bonuses on top of the near-mandatory punchthrough and not leave out any of the big hitters.

Also @k05h mind that your listed build uses 9 mods xD

Edit: i also forgot one thing. The easiest way to get a Soma to redcrit is to get hold of an Adarza Kavat. Its precept Cat's Eyes gives you 60% additive crit chance for 10s every 30s or so. It brings the Soma to 135% crit chance easily and reliably and has the advantage of working for every weapon (including exalted ones) and sinergising incredibly well with Blood Rush fueled melees because the crit chance from the kitty takes effect before Blood Rush does, giving for example a 10% crit chance melee a 243% crit chance at 1.5 combo instead of the normal 34.5%, or the more logical 94.5% if the kitty actually added crit chance last like it does for everything except Blood Rush.

Edited by Autongnosis

1 hour ago, shiro.OoKami said:

Thank you,  

Do you have any advice on what I can use besides Bladed Rounds, or know when it will be available?   I have some plat, but Id prefer to use it on cosmetics, and weapons/warframe slots.  I'll go to the market and see what prices I get.  

I realized the Riven mod isn't really worth the space with its current stats.  I wasn't using it for a while, then tried it out and started seeing more red crits, so I just left it.    i will re-roll it when I have enough kuva.  Not a big fan of farming for the stuff so it might be a while. Until then I will probably let it sit with the other mods. 

Is it even possible to get a red crit build on a soma?

Just leave out the bladed rounds and it will do just fine. (I actually made a mistake by putting 9 mods on my post but it is corrected now) This one of most popular and most easy to recreate builds:
https://goo.gl/ImDa9o

It is possible to build a red crit soma but only with the right riven and with argon scope on top of it. RNG was nice to me and gave me a riven with crit chance increase and initial electric damage. I can red crit around 50% of my shots and still do corrosive damage. While it makes me grin in mission it is just unnecessary overkill. The Soma P is fine a fine weapon the way it is. It does not need any buff.

One more advice: Bring a carrier with ammo mutation for high level content (Axi defense, sortie 3 defense) because Soma loves to run out of bullets. 

Edited by k05h

As mentioned, you want 90%x2 Corrosive for general use on Soma however Vs. Corpus you will want 90%Toxic +60/60% Toxic.

There's a bit more involved in modding Soma later in levels and progression but that's the basics.

Eventually your Soma will require 8 Forma to have access to all available loadout options and those options will change some of your modding.

As Example Primed Bane gives -5% damage output without a negative to accuracy in comparison to Heavy Cal. It's better IMO but costly to invest in as you need all three faction mods maxed. As enemy armor scale status will become more important than flat damage and you will replace 90% elementals with 60/60% elementals.  If you get Primed Cryo then Blast damage ends up surpassing Corrosive Vs. Infested. None of this should affect a newer player but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

6 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Eventually your Soma will require 8 Forma to have access to all available loadout options and those options will change some of your modding.

As Example Primed Bane gives -5% damage output without a negative to accuracy in comparison to Heavy Cal. It's better IMO but costly to invest in as you need all three faction mods maxed. As enemy armor scale status will become more important than flat damage and you will replace 90% elementals with 60/60% elementals.  If you get Primed Cryo then Blast damage ends up surpassing Corrosive Vs. Infested. None of this should affect a newer player but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

What would the 8 polarities be, or will it change?  

I have Prime Cryo, but im very cautious about putting the D polarity on the Soma since all other elemental mods are N/Bar polarity.

Ill check Baro's store to see when he has the primed Bane mods,  I bought the Prime Bane Grineer one lat time, but didn't have enough ducats for the others.

9 minutes ago, shiro.OoKami said:

What would the 8 polarities be, or will it change?  

I have Prime Cryo, but im very cautious about putting the D polarity on the Soma since all other elemental mods are N/Bar polarity.

Ill check Baro's store to see when he has the primed Bane mods,  I bought the Prime Bane Grineer one lat time, but didn't have enough ducats for the others.

Most Primaries like Soma will require Vx6, ---x1 and Dx1. Some weapons that use mods like Vile Acceleration will use ----x2 instead of a 6th V slot.

The D polarity on Primed Cryo is actually the reason you have to Forma so much in order to fit all available loadout options. You shouldn't have to forma that much until all your mods are maxed however. I would just work towards that over time and put the D in last so you don't end up wasting any Forma in the long run. Primed Cryo is only going to be useful for Infested and Corrosive Projection groups on a crit based weapon like Soma.