Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"endless" black loading screen... again...

fr4gb4ll

I had the same issue earlier. After the restart I waited a few minutes but got grouped with the same people again and had to restart again. Had the black screen a total of 3 times and called it quits afterwards.

16 hours ago, Cebius said:

Suprise suprise, it is back again it seems. I wonder why.

This is strange. But also anoying.

i think it's what happens when a server is not properly crashed, but in an endless loop (often the cause of a missing failure exception routine). my guess was that this happens to the dedicated server more than to an active host, who would surely notice his/her machine behaving oddly (and therefore would restart the game themself) - but one of the devs said it was doubtful this happen to dedicated server more or only. there are other possibilities that could cause something like that too, but since the match WAS loading into SOMETHING and lots of people coming into the loadscreen stayed there a while (if this was their first "visit"), complaining about it in the chat and then leaving again (via killing the game process), and letting others into the now vacant open slot to join the misery (again, often enough), i still say the problem is more likely with dedicated servers than with active host-computer.

but whatever the case is, the main problem is still, that we can only act by forcing an end of the game process - which should never be the sole option in any program. so what we need is either a fast fix to this ever happen again (thorough handling of exceptions in the code) or at the very least a possibility for us to "soft" break this cycle either manually via an exit break command in the console or via the menue (that would require we actually CAN acess it during the load sequence). code wise, it can't be hard to implemant a command like this, but i understand that this could have undesired consequences as well. another method could be an algorithm watching a loading process, and not only giving a timeout break (like the one already does exist in the game) but also put the ip of the faulty host onto a blacklist for some time (maybe an hour or two), so that a client is not conected to this particular host again for some time. thats a bit harder to manage, but also an method used often in netcode for many other programs that require many people to connect to hosts around the globe with all the trouble that can happen an the way (hello router software!).