Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PS4 - Anyone here with the PS4 4.50 FW Beta try "Boost Mode"?

Tersora

I tested warframe with ps4 pro boost mode. The performance boost is definitely noticeable. 

EDIT: Ok maybe not. Played a fissure mission right now. It was on ceres and we were a 4 man squad including a miragulor and Ember. If I play alone it is butter smooth. As soon as I play with other people it starts to lag a bit. I suspect it has something to do with the network connections. It can be mine since I have great Internet. I also play with LAN Cable. Still on 4 man squad it seems to stay at 30 fps when many effects are on the screen.

I hope the devs improve the performance on the ps4. Pro or not pro. It needs a performance patch especially since the normal ps4 is almost unplayable when doing fissure missions.

Edited by (PS4)ChillZI1986

1 hour ago, (PS4)ChillZI1986 said:

I tested warframe with ps4 pro boost mode. The performance boost is definitely noticeable. 

EDIT: Ok maybe not. Played a fissure mission right now. It was on ceres and we were a 4 man squad including a miragulor and Ember. If I play alone it is butter smooth. As soon as I play with other people it starts to lag a bit. I suspect it has something to do with the network connections. It can be mine since I have great Internet. I also play with LAN Cable. Still on 4 man squad it seems to stay at 30 fps when many effects are on the screen.

I hope the devs improve the performance on the ps4. Pro or not pro. It needs a performance patch especially since the normal ps4 is almost unplayable when doing fissure missions.

How do I enable this mode? I also run it a in a Ps4 Pro.

Guys - Boost Mode only affects titles that have not been patched to "unlock" the use of the PS4Pro hardware.   Warframe is already patched/compiled to take advantage of that (although no actual optimizations have been done specifically for PS4Pro yet).  This is why Warframe already runs better on the Pro (prior to this new firmware update).

Remember the PS4Pro is different than the XBox One S - That is, unpatched games will run exactly the same on the Pro as the standard hardware.   The "boost" mode only applied to older, unpatched games. 

2 hours ago, Justavius said:

Guys - Boost Mode only affects titles that have not been patched to "unlock" the use of the PS4Pro hardware.   Warframe is already patched/compiled to take advantage of that (although no actual optimizations have been done specifically for PS4Pro yet).  This is why Warframe already runs better on the Pro (prior to this new firmware update).

Really?  I don't recall Drew or any of the DE folks confirming this.

AFAIK, Warframe doesn't have any official PS4 Pro patch update, nor was I aware that it was compiled with PS4 Pro in mind (ie. taking advantage of the 2nd GPU).

Anyway, I'll definitely get to try Boost Mode after work today and see how it plays out.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)vinster said:

Really?  I don't recall Drew or any of the DE folks confirming this.

They said in an article (http://wccftech.com/warframe-ps4-pro-hdr-dx12vulkan-support/) that "Warframe currently offers base support for PS4 Pro." This means that the extra power is "unlocked" but no optimizations have been done yet.   We know this is true because the game runs better on PS4Pro  (I have personally seen this as I have a PS4 account also) and any game can only see improvements on PS4Pro if that game is specifically patched/compiled to do so.

Edited by Justavius

So i tested the boost-mode yesterday and imo the game got now very good antialiasing, the textures looks better and all feels so much graphically. Sry for bad english i hope you understand me! I play on a fullHD beamer, screen size is 110 inch diagonale.

20 hours ago, Justavius said:

They said in an article (http://wccftech.com/warframe-ps4-pro-hdr-dx12vulkan-support/) that "Warframe currently offers base support for PS4 Pro." This means that the extra power is "unlocked" but no optimizations have been done yet.   We know this is true because the game runs better on PS4Pro  (I have personally seen this as I have a PS4 account also) and any game can only see improvements on PS4Pro if that game is specifically patched/compiled to do so.

Thanks for the link.  This was the full answer:

Warframe currently offers base support for PS4 Pro. Essentially, because of the PS4 Pro’s beefier hardware, Warframe runs better currently without any additional work from our side.  However, we are planning to take advantage of what the PS4 Pro offers in an official way in 2017. So yeah, I personally am looking forward to seeing how badass Warframe will look using the PlayStation 4 Pro’s tech.”

I'm conflicted.  The term 'base support' is vague.  The 'runs better currently without any additional work (this was said prior to PS4 4.50 Boost mode implementation) seems to confirm my suspicion that no specific optimizations/patch was done.

The 'we are planning to take advantage of what the PS4 Pro offers in an official way in 2017' leads me to believe an upcoming official PS4 Pro patch may happen this year.

Anyway, back to the topic of Boost Mode.  I got home and activated the setting last night and fired up Warframe.  It still runs great.  It seems smoother but maybe I'm just imagining.  I don't have an FPS counter on screen so have no idea if the frame rates are indeed better.  Raids (especially JV) tends to show this better but I didn't get a chance to run a raid last night.  I'll play more over the weekend and see how it goes.

Either way, no issues with Boost Mode for me.  I wish some techie guy can do an actual comparison like the Digital Foundry article did and post some side-by-side video comparisons!

Personally, I took "Warframe runs better currently without any additional work from our side" to mean this:   "We flipped the compiler switch in the dev tools that allows the game to take advantage of PS4Pro hardware, but we did nothing more."

Obviously I'm not on the dev team, so I can't be 100% sure what they did do.  But, what I am 100% sure of is this:  no PS4 game will run differently (better?) on the PS4Pro hardware unless it is recompiled to do so.   And we know that even prior to boost mode that Warframe ran better on the PS4Pro hardware.  Therefore it was patched in some way to take advantage of PS4Pro.

All that being said, I also am not 100% sure exactly what boost mode does.  But most sources do say that boost mode only affects "unpatched" titles.   But yea, we'll need something like Digital Foundry to run some tests to know for sure.

I'm very confused about this boost mode for Warframe on PS4 Pro...

I explain :

as I don't have a "frame counter" in my eyes, I would not be able to say if the frame rate is really better now...

After several days of use, I eventually have noticed some little improvement, I have the "feeling" that it is a little better...

Is is the "placebo effect" because I have the boost mode activated ? I don't know... I still have some frame drops but I would say that they are a little bit less frequents... Like Justavius said, some Digital Foundry tests would be nice to have some objective infos about that...

I would be very glad also if DE have a better communication about their PS4 Pro improvement plans than just this article (december dated) that is very "evasive" and does not give some clear infos about the PS4 Pro future optimisations...