Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rate my Orthos Prime Build

_Electrolite_

Question

So I made 2 builds for this awesome meelee

The first one is a little mix of crit while keeping the status damage

http://warframe-builder.com/Melee_Weapons/Builder/Orthos_prime/t_30_200020001_226-1-5-238-3-3-266-7-3-311-8-3-360-2-5-488-5-7-637-4-8-733-0-8-796-6-3_733-6-226-9-360-11-238-7-637-6-488-11-796-5-266-7-311-10/en/4-0-47/121960/0

The second one is more focused on status and mixed with volt can cause really good damage.

http://warframe-builder.com/Melee_Weapons/Builder/Orthos_prime/t_30_200020001_238-3-3-266-2-3-311-8-3-360-1-5-641-6-5-729-7-8-733-4-8-793-0-5-796-5-3_793-8-360-11-266-7-238-7-733-6-796-5-641-9-729-12-311-10/en/4-0-47/121962/0

With Orthos speed and range i can really cause some damage even on high level and the corrosive can take really fast the enemy armor.

You think I should change some mods here? Like using pure status mod than these Virulent Scourge/Voltaic Strike?

25 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Electrolite123 said:

I know that viral affects the health but I never tried, it`s effective to run against high level grineer with all their armor?

well, since you are going for status, so, slash procs, that bypass armour, with viral you effectively double your damage.

4 minutes ago, KYLoooo said:

well, since you are going for status, so, slash procs, that bypass armour, with viral you effectively double your damage.

could just also look at gas + cold/shock+ duration buff + condition 

that rips things apart faster o. o

-shock cc. cold slows, i find cold better 

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

I'd very strongly recommend you replace one of your "elemental" damage mods (Virulent, Voltaic, Buzzkill) with Organ Shatter if you're going to be relying on crits for damage. Whichever one gets replaced depends on which procs you want (although I'd personally try getting rid of Buzz Kill first, since all it does is increase the chance of Slash procs without actually increasing slash proc damage).

Out of curiosity, which warframe are you using? If you're using something that makes frequent use of stealth multipliers (Loki/Ash/Ivara, Excal, Inaros, anything with Naramon, etc), then you should definitely go for a Gas build. Landing a Gas proc while stealth multipliers are active will rip apart level 100+ Grineer Heavies with ease, and will practically instagib everything else.

Edited by SortaRandom

9 minutes ago, KYLoooo said:

Gas doesn't bypass armour.

Anything can bypass armor as SortaRandom just pointed out.

And with Primed Reach you still deal finisher-typed gas dmg by spamming melee. No context execution is required for that damage bonus. I used to use the Orthos Prime a lot until it eventually just started feeling too weak to me. But if you're gonna use it, use a stealth frame and take advantage of its ridiculous range w/ Primed Reach. It can get the job done, I just find other tools more effective at the same job.

Nothing quite looks as sexy as an Orthos Prime though.

25 minutes ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

could just also look at gas + cold/shock+ duration buff + condition 

that rips things apart faster o. o

-shock cc. cold slows, i find cold better 

47 minutes ago, KYLoooo said:

If you wanna go status go viral not corrosive.

I took both Ideas. I`m using Viral proc and changed buzzkill with sochking touch. With the speed of this weapon and all the procs i can inflict. Slash  Impac Viral and Electric i can deal a very high damage thanks to Condition Overload. I`m getting happy with where this build is going.

Now I`m not sure how much Status I should keep. I wonder if it`s better to use Vicious Frost and keep 39 per cent status or use North Wind and keep 30 per cent status. i`m not sure if this 9 per cent status are worth the difference

Edited by Electrolite123

15 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

I'd very strongly recommend you replace one of your "elemental" damage mods (Virulent, Voltaic, Buzzkill) with Organ Shatter if you're going to be relying on crits for damage. Whichever one gets replaced depends on which procs you want (although I'd personally try getting rid of Buzz Kill first, since all it does is increase the chance of Slash procs without actually increasing slash proc damage).

Out of curiosity, which warframe are you using? If you're using something that makes frequent use of stealth multipliers (Loki/Ash/Ivara, Excal, Inaros, anything with Naramon, etc), then you should definitely go for a Gas build. Landing a Gas proc while stealth multipliers are active will rip apart level 100+ Grineer Heavies with ease, and will practically instagib everything else.

Really? Doesnt buzzkill increase my slash proc damage? What about the 120 slash increase? It`s translated into more raw damage right? Well I think I will trade it for Organ Shatter in the crit build

And yes sometimes I use Naramon or Loki I will change to Gas in these situations.

Edited by Electrolite123

10 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

Anything can bypass armor as SortaRandom just pointed out.

And with Primed Reach you still deal finisher-typed gas dmg by spamming melee. No context execution is required for that damage bonus. I used to use the Orthos Prime a lot until it eventually just started feeling too weak to me. But if you're gonna use it, use a stealth frame and take advantage of its ridiculous range w/ Primed Reach. It can get the job done, I just find other tools more effective at the same job.

Nothing quite looks as sexy as an Orthos Prime though.

I have from Nikana Prime to Gal Prime and others meelees but Orthos still is my absolute favorite. I can easily kill anything I face even at level 80+ and as I dont do too many survives I dont need something OP to kill level 150, Orthos is good enough, this mixed with the Speed and Range from Orthos and I was already able to easily out kill or out damage people using Nikanas for example.

57 minutes ago, Electrolite123 said:

Really? Doesnt buzzkill increase my slash proc damage? What about the 120 slash increase? It`s translated into more raw damage right? Well I think I will trade it for Organ Shatter in the crit build

I haven't tested it myself (except on the Telos Boltace, but that's a bit of a special case), but according to the wiki, Slash procs' damage scale from the base damage of your weapon only. It might be helpful to pop a high-leveled enemy into the Simalcrum, land some Slash procs on it with and without Buzz Kill, and see if the numbers are any different.

Buzz Kill will probably add more raw damage to your weapon (at least, compared to a third Elemental), but frankly, considering how weak it is against armor, it's not nearly as helpful as the raw numbers make it seem. Slash damage is valued for its procs, not its elemental advantages.

Edited by SortaRandom

If you want a hybrid crit/statu build on the orthos, something is going to have to go.

Orthos simply does not have enough crit to be viable for the blood rush that you've slotted in.

At 16% it becomes pretty good and works well with the rush/contact, at 10% i'd call it a waste to partially commit.

If i were you' I'd remove the range, leaving me with this. (Swap elements for gas/magnetic against corpus or if playing stealth)

c6tMEjk.png

Edited by BeeOverlord

38 minutes ago, BeeOverlord said:

If you want a hybrid crit/statu build on the orthos, something is going to have to go.

Orthos simply does not have enough crit to be viable for the blood rush that you've slotted in.

At 16% it becomes pretty good and works well with the rush/contact, at 10% i'd call it a waste to partially commit.

If i were you' I'd remove the range, leaving me with this. (Swap elements for gas/magnetic against corpus or if playing stealth)

c6tMEjk.png

Thats exactly my original build that i changed some time ago. You are right, for crit i should not mix too much

2 hours ago, BeeOverlord said:

c6tMEjk.png

could just do shattering impact -if memory serves orthos has impact dmg- , saves a mod slot in higher levels , you could then add another mod for higher slash or something 

7 hours ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

could just do shattering impact -if memory serves orthos has impact dmg- , saves a mod slot in higher levels , you could then add another mod for higher slash or something 

The reason you'd want corrosive is the flat out bonus damage (or lack of penalties) against most enemies. Same reason people build it on non-status weps.

The reason you'd want gas (if you're playing stealth) is the ridiculous bonus damage gas gets while you're invis.

Honestly though, I think i'd completely pass up on crit and just mod the orthos for status, slap an impact on it as well and call it a day.

5 hours ago, BeeOverlord said:

The reason you'd want corrosive is the flat out bonus damage (or lack of penalties) against most enemies. Same reason people build it on non-status weps.

The reason you'd want gas (if you're playing stealth) is the ridiculous bonus damage gas gets while you're invis.

Honestly though, I think i'd completely pass up on crit and just mod the orthos for status, slap an impact on it as well and call it a day.

status is more my style, weeping wounds could also help if want constant status 

gas works even without stealth but you lose the buff of multiplier true , but with enough stacks and duration buffs + condition it makes it kill fast , in truth it can kill faster then corrosive if modded right, but its so much easier to mod corrosive works on everything xD and less work 

Yeah gas worked well when I used Loki. I ended up using the status build much more. Its very effective and I could even kill level 100 corrupt bombards easily, not bad for an Orthos.

Here`s the lastest build

I`m going to use another forma so I can put Buzzkill instead of Jagged Edge, the slash proc combined with virus is crazy. But as you commented now I`m not sure if instead of Buzzkill I should put an Impact mod or another Status mod like voltaic strike to increase the virus proc chance and add another status effect to work with Condition Overload....

On 2/25/2017 at 4:41 PM, KYLoooo said:

He didn't even mention armour.

Are you pulling my leg? Being facetious? Or did you just not read the post?

Here, I'll quote it for you just so we're perfectly clear.

On 2/25/2017 at 4:27 PM, SortaRandom said:

Out of curiosity, which warframe are you using? If you're using something that makes frequent use of stealth multipliers, then you should definitely go for a Gas build. Landing a Gas proc while stealth multipliers are active will rip apart level 100+ Grineer Heavies with ease, and will practically instagib everything else.

Do you not understand that stealth ignores armor and when said hit is a Gas proc, the gas proc is essentially ignoring armor. Not sure how you failed to understand this incredibly simple concept based on your blatant understanding of mechanics from your other posts, but, well, there you go.

Edited by DiosGX
o3o

4 hours ago, DiosGX said:

Are you pulling my leg? Being facetious? Or did you just not read the post?

Here, I'll quote it for you just so we're perfectly clear.

Do you not understand that stealth ignores armor and when said hit is a Gas proc, the gas proc is essentially ignoring armor. Not sure how you failed to understand this incredibly simple concept based on your blatant understanding of mechanics from your other posts, but, well, there you go.

@KYLoooo is right, actually. Not only did I not mention armor at all, but Gas procs with Stealth don't ignore armor, either.

Basically, what happens with DoT procs is that the stealth multiplier (which multiplies all melee damage by 8x) gets applied multiple times. Because of the way DoT damage is calculated, Slash/Fire/Toxic/Electric procs will deal 64x their usual damage, and Gas procs deal 512x their usual damage.

This is what causes Grineer heavies to get instagibbed like nothing. There's no armor-ignoring mechanic or anything like that-- Stealthed Gas procs just have so much raw damage that the enemy instantly dies anyway.

Edited by SortaRandom