Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennocon, can anybody shed some light please?

(PSN)CaptClapCheeks

Question

I am flying from the U.S and never been to Canada. I also am hearing no cash or debit cards will be accepted at the event.

If anybody could post some helpfull tips on how should I go on buying merch or where can i get a accepted form of payment that is not a CREDIT CARD, it would be greatly apreaceated! 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by (PS4)AnDrAdE10cpa

22 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

I wouldn't suggest getting a credit card to anyone who isn't quite well off into their career.

Agreed.  I had one and it's been a nightmare paying it off.  The interest fees are insane and they really come after you if you're late, nevermind miss a payment entirely. 

TennoCon looks fun, but it's not worth the hassle of a credit card.  

Upside to a PrePaid card is that no one can charge you for more than is on the card.  That means no overdraft fees, no "exceeding your balance" fees, none of it.  The transaction is simply canceled. And if it gets stolen, they can only take what's on the card, not your entire account. 

26 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Agreed.  I had one and it's been a nightmare paying it off.  The interest fees are insane and they really come after you if you're late, nevermind miss a payment entirely. 

Upside to a PrePaid card is that no one can charge you for more than is on the card.  That means no overdraft fees, no "exceeding your balance" fees, none of it.  The transaction is simply canceled. And if it gets stolen, they can only take what's on the card, not your entire account. 

Hence why I use devitsdebits 

What on earth is a prepaid credit card???

I asked this last year as well and it was severely frustrating. What is it? A card that i insert money into? When I go into any store that has something like that, all of those kinds of cards have the words "Debit" written right on them. I don't understand what is the difference between a gift card or my own VISA debit card. Please, someone shed light on what on earth does "pre-paid credit card" mean. A gift card? A Visa Gift Card (that literally says like debit right on the card). I don't quite understand, this was annoying last year and on the thread related to this same topic on last years TennoCon no one gave any kind of clear answer, not even the [DE] Rep that was in that thread. What is the difference between a "pre-paid credit card" and a debit card? Doesn't pre-paid and credit card contradict each other? Pre-paid means you cant spend more than whats on a card, and a credit card is a card where you can spend more than the financial source attached to it (you'd just be in debt). Every kind of card I can imagine when I go to a store that I have to first insert money into literally says DEBIT right on it. I don't get it

Edited by Vindicative

28 minutes ago, (PS4)AnDrAdE10cpa said:

I believe it is a equivalent to the visa gift/debit card we can buy in most stores here in the U.S, so if I understood correctly we just need to get a visa "gift card" when we arrive in Canada and load up with the funds we intend to use.

Okay, I am going to be a bit slow just because I still don't see the difference

If a "pre-paid credit card" is indeed just like a VISA GiftCard. Why is my Debit Card blocked? Both are VISA Cards, both say Debit on them (i have checked what the card looks like), and both cannot spend over the amount in them. That's like my primary gripe with this whole thing. Is it because one is connected to my bank and the other is disposable?

Edited by Vindicative

9 minutes ago, Andaius said:

Most likely because your personal debt card was issued by your bank, and connected to your personal accounts maybe? prepaid cards are not.

Okay see, if this is the case than I can understand. DE just does not want to deal with my bank, they should just say so. I was not the only person last year who was severely confused by what "pre-paid credit card" was and why/how it was different from our issued VISA Cards because like I said they say "No Debit Cards" MEANWHILE every single VISA Gift Card literally has the word "Debit" printed right on it. This was a giant source of confusion for a lot of people last year with no clear cut explanation

My bank issued card can literally be used as BOTH a Credit/Debit Card and when I brought this up last year, even the [DE] person on the thread said I couldn't use it. So, I hope you can understand my confusion and frustration

Edited by Vindicative

12 minutes ago, Neo_182 said:

Sure.

So interact cards do not function with their scanning machines.

And they do not accept cash.

Only major credit cards are accepted.

As much as thst sucks it's a safety precaution i'm sure. 

I don't speak for DE but i'm certain they would tell you something similar.

I must be missing like some key information or something because I still don't understand.

Stuff I do understand:

1. I understand that: No Debit Card / Cash can be used at TennoCon

2. I understand that: My Visa Card that is both Debit/Credit cannot be used (I assume this is what an interact card means because I have no idea what that is)

3. I understand that: Major Credit Cards Only or "pre-paid credit card"

In my attempt to understand what on earth a "pre-paid credit card" is, one Tenno suggested it's like a VISA Gift Card. My confusion: If "pre-paid credit card" is indeed a VISA Gift Card and all Visa Gift Cards literally have the word "Debit" printed right on them, does this not violate #1 of "No Debit Card / Cash can be used at TennoCon"

I am sorry for being really slow on this

Edited by Vindicative

4 minutes ago, Neo_182 said:

Major Cc names only. The prepaid aspect is only because you can recharge the card if you wish.

I'm not sure what you fail to understand at this point, sorry.

Their ma machines only accept cc's even if the text on the prepaid card says debit.

VISA is indeed a major credit card. You are telling me that it will accept a VISA Gift Card even if the word debit is printed on the card. That's literally all I wanted to know and you answered it by saying Yes. I was confused just because the word "Debit" is printed right on a VISA Gift Card and they said "No Debit Allowed". It's a bit contradictory, but I thank you for clearing it up

Edited by Vindicative

3 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the system we're using (we likely will not have proper PoS machines this year either). A prepaid card, as Neo suggested, is a good option if you do not have a credit card. 

Why dont you get  those card reader things you put on phones like i see in commercials. 

Come on, DE, you gotta be up on this. 

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/payments/mobile-credit-card-processing/

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader#

https://squareup.com

people want to throw money at you. You gotta make it easy so they throw  more. 

3 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

people want to throw money at you. You gotta make it easy so they throw  more. 

Yes please, I would much prefer using my own card that's secure and always with me than to have to go through additional hassle

19 hours ago, JSharpie said:

I wouldn't suggest getting a credit card to anyone who isn't quite well off into their career.

19 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Suggesting to get a credit card isn't suggesting to get in debt or exercises irresponsible spending. Credit cards are great because of the freedom of having a lot of purchase power without the risks associated with carrying around a lot of cash on you, not to mention credit building and points. If you're paying interest then you're overspending, so my suggestion is never spend more than you're willing to pay completely at the end of the month. 

Pre-paid cards on the other hand can be stolen just like cash, they have service fees and some of them even have expiration dates. So why should I pay a pre-paid card company to use my money, when I can have a credit card company pay me to use my money? It's all in the maturity of the spender I guess, but for me its a no-brainer. 

As far as your last point @MagPrime all VISA and most major credit cards come with fraud-protection, so you don't have to worry about people stealing it. I've my credit card stolen once and had 3 fraudulent charges in the matter of hours. One call and everything was fixed. 

Edited by (PS4)Regiampiero

16 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

they didnt want to charge the international fee or something?

I'm not sure what you mean by this... The card readers do not allow for bank card transactions. 

Again, for clarity, credit cards and prepaid credit cards are the best option available at this time if you'd like to buy some merchandise.

As a side note, credit cards actually have the highest transaction fees for merchants (which is why many small businesses do not accept them). Cash is the only payment method with no fee, but handling that scale of cash transactions is not something we're prepared to do right now. 

1 hour ago, [DE]Drew said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this... The card readers do not allow for bank card transactions. 

Again, for clarity, credit cards and prepaid credit cards are the best option available at this time if you'd like to buy some merchandise.

As a side note, credit cards actually have the highest transaction fees for merchants (which is why many small businesses do not accept them). Cash is the only payment method with no fee, but handling that scale of cash transactions is not something we're prepared to do right now. 

I've been on the otherside of the desk for a couple convention's and I'm surprised there's a difficulty with cash.  For every convention I've attended and staffed, cash has been the preferred method of payment for small to average sized purchases.

5 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

intuit and paypal readers say they accept debit cards. 

3 hours ago, MagPrime said:

this is why prices always ends in 99 cents. 

Plus it's a convention, it's ok to charge a couple bucks more. 

47 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

intuit and paypal readers say they accept debit cards. 

this is why prices always ends in 99 cents. 

Plus it's a convention, it's ok to charge a couple bucks more. 

...that's not my quote?