Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laser Rifle Vs Deth Machine Rifle

DeMantic

So I've been looking through the sentinels, I have all three fully leveled and personally I found Wyrm to be my new favorite since the update that fixed Crowd Dispersion. Seeing the animation go off is a great way to tell if/when it's working so props to that DE. 

But the rifles...

So I took a look at the listed stats for both and here they are:

Laser Rifle - 3.0 Damage - 6.7 Fire Rate - 100 Accuracy - 32 Clip

Deth Rifle - 5.0 Damage - 8.3 Fire Rate - 100 Accuracy - 100 Clip

I'm under the impression that clip size is completely irrelevant to all sentinels. Warrior certainly does not fire off 32 rounds and if it does, they're bundled super tight and the Swift Deth seems to go on forever.

ANYWAY.

The Laser Rifle has a base damage of 3, fires slower than Deth Machine Rifle and even with the accuracy being 100, those shots fired do not all hit the same target. Laser rifle's bullets travel over time, Deth Rifle does not. What's the point of me using Wyrm over Dethcube? Crowd Dispersion and Vaporize have the same usefulness as I see it so the only deciding factor is the rifles. Now I would love to forma the Laser Rifle, but I don't really see the point when the Deth Machine Rifle is just so much better in every category. I have little suggestions to improve this besides maybe upping the damage. Is there something about Laser Rifle that I'm missing?

What are you thoughts on this, Tenno? Any changes/improvements you'd like to be made to the Laser Rifle? 

Note: This is not a NERF DETHCUBE thread so do not make it such. 

Stay Frosty Folks

Wyrm attacks several targets, whereas the Cube focuses 1 target until it is dead. So Wyrm can be used for crowd control with mods like freeze, stun etc. (+crowd dispersion of course)

Edited by bakaxy

How are Crowd Dispersion and Vaporize the same? Crowd Dispersion knocks down everyone in a radius while Vaporize rarely ever wipes a single nearby enemy from existence.

But yes, the sad thing is that in this game, killing everything is rewarded. And that's what Dethcube does.

Fat lot of help Wyrm provides. Might as well take shade.

that is my own preference as well. I bring Cube to obliterate esp when using maxed gear. And Shade for all other cases. Was just stating a possible reason if Cube and Wyrm were the only choices.

Besides, Wyrm's twisting &#! can be very distracting...

How are Crowd Dispersion and Vaporize the same? Crowd Dispersion knocks down everyone in a radius while Vaporize rarely ever wipes a single nearby enemy from existence.

I think it's more he means that neither is game breakingly good, and that both are more an extra than a true reason to bring the Sentinel. I know I personally just base the use of my Sentinel on it's damage (with the exception of Shade anyway).

Crowd Dispersion is useful on all levels even endless defense missions. Be sure to put it as one of your first skills so it'll have priority.

My Wyrm may not do as much dmg as the Dethcube, but its noticable on normal maps, save for endless defense.

If I'm doing Endless Defense, I normally have infinite energy via Trinity/Energy Siphon, and plenty of CC already. I'd rather have the higher damage with infinite ammo than a CC I can't control.

Edited by Verazix

This is not a NERF DETHCUBE thread so do not make it such. 

But it SHOULD be!

In all seriousness though, even the "rate of fire" stat seems like a lie. Dethcube has like ~2-3 x the dps uptime of a wyrm. The wyrm has ~2 x the dps uptime of a shade.

This is a 5x forma Dethcube. A wyrm couldn't do this (okay well maybe it could, but definitely not in 6m50s)

Edited by ralwn

It is good to know that it's not only my problem. When I do a mission like Tolstoj it's like sentinel mission. THE DAMN CUBE STEALS ALL OF MY KILLS. It is kinda annoying when im trying to level up stuff -_-

I'm actually considering building a 2nd cube which will only have cryo rank 0 + speed trigger rank 5 + metal augur rank 5 + rifle stun rank 5.

My 5xforma cube screws me out of so much xp in any system besides pluto. When I don't care about xp, its fine.

Well just the idea of having 2 offensive sentinels doesnt have sence, if wyrm gets buff more than deth cube then ever1 will be ohh buff deth cube so it can be good again, this will go over and over I think that the best DE can do is take out Wyrm like they do with snipertron, just leave it for beta players like vandal weapons (dont make a vandal wyrm that will be pontless) and start thinking in a better crowd control sentinel or just remake wyrm to be crowd controler and not offesive sentinel, we have stealth, offesinve, we need 1 crowd controler, 1 defensive sentinel, 1 buffer sentinel, also maybe why not  a Healer sentinel like a mini tinity, Allways having 2 of the same type will be ending in a endless forum post discusion... get 1 of each and everyone will be happy dont u think so ?

how about reworking Wyrm into a Melee Sentinel? automatically melees enemies at close range (with potential CC in addition to Crowd Dispersion). It can potentially have a niche to players who want to stick to ranged weapons mainly.

I think it's more he means that neither is game breakingly good, and that both are more an extra than a true reason to bring the Sentinel. I know I personally just base the use of my Sentinel on it's damage (with the exception of Shade anyway).

If I'm doing Endless Defense, I normally have infinite energy via Trinity/Energy Siphon, and plenty of CC already. I'd rather have the higher damage with infinite ammo than a CC I can't control.

It's definitely as you say, both skills have their uses and both do them well. Just in terms of the rifle, Wyrm seems to fall a little short.

Crowd Dispersion is useful on all levels even endless defense missions. Be sure to put it as one of your first skills so it'll have priority.

My Wyrm may not do as much dmg as the Dethcube, but its noticable on normal maps, save for endless defense.

Oh I've seen Crowd Dispersion come in handy a few times to stun enemies at the cryopod long enough for me to blow their faces off. And honestly I doubt any sentinel including Dethcube will shine in a high wave endless defense with the insane armor multipliers.

I really thing Wyrm could use a buff. After all, it's supposed to be the primary "warrior" type sentinel. So while I don't expect Wyrm to dish out as much damage as a player, it should at least be high enough to be noticeable.

Yes, see this I like. Warrior to me is sword and shield. Crowd dispersion is a great shield type ability. But it's supposed "sword" feels more like a dagger at the moment. It needs some kind of a buff, maybe not damage but some other form of CC or utility built into it. 

But yes, the sad thing is that in this game, killing everything is rewarded. And that's what Dethcube does.

It's as Verazix says. They're not the same, but they have the same usefulness in what they're meant to do.

Wyrm attacks several targets, whereas the Cube focuses 1 target until it is dead. So Wyrm can be used for crowd control with mods like freeze, stun etc. (+crowd dispersion of course)

You know I noticed this but I never considered it to be a CC until you mentioned it. But if it does attack multiple targets, shouldn't the base damage be a bit higher so each target hit will have more damage done to it? It's amazing to see when Laser Rifle goes off and 3 enemies are slowed from the ice damage mod, but I still end up having to pull 99% of the damage off it. (May be a slight exaggeration there, but you get the point)

Isn't the laser rifle a burst weapon? That'd make its DPS higher..

It fires in volleys of three I believe, but last I checked had a pretty big delay between the "bursts." I wouldn't mind seeing one with Fire Rate mod put on, but I've already Forma'ed my Dethcube's Rifle five times so I don't see myself moving to Wyrm any time soon regardless.