The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

trouble playing Banshee with Silence's muffle effect

Morgana_Arcana

So, I really like the idea of Banshee, and I've tried to play her extensively. The issue I have is with the muffle effect from Silence on the game's sound effects. First of all, I find it much harder to be aware of my surroundings when I can't hear the full sounds as normal; this applies extra to Kuva which is what I mainly do day-to-day, where normally I can pinpoint the Kuva cloud before I see it by hearing it. Unfortunately in that case, the cloud is muffled to almost be silent. It's also just an unpleasant effect for me, as it sounds like your ear getting stopped up, you know? And lastly, I just like hearing the game's sound assets, as well as gun effects and gun feel.

So yeah, I wonder if something can be done regarding this? Either a UI option, or adjusting which effects are lowered?

As a heavily audio-oriented person, I wish I could play Banshee but I find the Silence effect a deal breaker. :(

5 minutes ago, xcynderx said:

as a toggle....sure...but overall....no, her 3 is doing exactly what its description is and what the player will have to deal with.

Sure technically it's "realistic" but it's a video game with space magic, tons of stuff doesn't make strict sense.

A toggle would be nice.

Edit: Also this comes up on other frames, a good example is Ivara's Prowl. In that case, it doesn't actually make sense that an ability that makes you not seen, also makes you also not able to hear. It hinders me in the same way.

Also how does Sonar work if there's no sound?

Edited by Camisoul
additional point

10 minutes ago, KYLoooo said:

It actually doesn't say anything about Banshee not hearing anything when using silence, just the enemies can't hear anything anymore. 

in game no...but the wiki does say this:

Silence will also deafen the caster, muffling all gunfire from friend, foe, and self alike.

1 minute ago, xcynderx said:

Silence will also deafen the caster, muffling all gunfire from friend, foe, and self alike.

Well yes the wiki describes how the ability currently works, what is it supposed to say?

Edited by Camisoul

29 minutes ago, xcynderx said:

So it deafens everyone but it doesn't stop sound from travelling so Sonar still works?

What bothers me at all is how the stun and thus clear attack on theyr vocal perception doesn't affect enemys accurancy....The inner ear is the center of balance for ones body...it would make sense to at least come with a accurancy drop and random ragdoll Cc, representing theyr loss of balance.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Some other thoughts.

You can turn off the screen filters for things like Hysteria, or Loki invis (through color correction, but still).

1 hour ago, KYLoooo said:

So it deafens everyone but it doesn't stop sound from travelling so Sonar still works?

Well, for Sonar to work, Banshee needs to hear as well. Just sound travelling doesn't do much, you have to also detect it coming back to make sonar. And if you're detecting it.. well that's hearing isn't it?

Also, in ARCHWING we can HEAR in SPACE. Explain that. :P

Since it's all fiction, it's good that these things are done just so that the game is more comfortable, intuitive, and fun. Realism doesn't automatically make things fun like a magic wand!

1 hour ago, xcynderx said:

hahah, yeah...video game logic at its finest.

sonar is different then sound in many ways, DE use it by small levels of energy that the enemies hit and it bounces back to the caster, unlike sound the comes from something, so if you look at the different ways to use it, it has may was of use, i might be wrong or im not explaining it correctly but there are many ways to use it and being set in the time and place of the game has many possibilities to be use.  

4 hours ago, Camisoul said:

Also, in ARCHWING we can HEAR in SPACE. Explain that. :P

This point, space, is actually what explains silence working with sonar rather well... You can't just zoom out sound, that only works when you remove the traveling medium, in this example air.

Silence thus has to be rather of a counter meassure, nullifying sound by creating the negative equal. The strange sound that remains can be considered a backdrop and would of course ignore wavelength outside of what's programmed, perceptible sound.

The medium in space could still be matter. Do enemys make sounds as well? They do, do they not? That point definitly makes no sense.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

16 hours ago, KYLoooo said:

Yes Sonar still works if you activate silence first. Sonar is a form of echo location. Some animals use it on a frequency we can't hear. As long as the animal using sonar feels the sound bounce off something and back to them they can be alerted to objects being there, even if we don't hear it ourselves. 

Edited by (PS4)salovel1991