Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Killing Blow (channeling mod) on Telos Boltace - bad math - anyone know whats up?

(PSN)BMWWOW

Question

Hey all.

r.e. when I build the Telos Boltace for Channeling using the Killing Blow mod (up to 120% channeling damage increase)....

Base unmodified Telos Boltace Channeling Damage is a multiplier of 1.5.

So in theory, adding Killing Blow at rank 10 (+100% channeling damage increase) should yield a 3.0 multiplier, right?  1.5 + 1.5, right?

But no matter what I do it gives me a FRACTION of that.  A maxed rank 11 Killing Blow (+120%) only raises Channeling Damage to 2.1 multiplier.

What gives??

Tried with a variety of builds -  nothing changes this.  Is the Telos Boltace Channeling broken?

7 answers to this question

it is multiplying the .5 of the channeling damage 
channeling damage of 1.5 is calculated as 50% bonus damage
if it was crit then it would have counted as a multiplyer and it would have taken the 1.5
but channeling is calculated as bonus damage so it only took the .5

(btw i do not understand why crit multiplyer calculates that way)

The problem you are having here is that you are confusing a damage multiplier with a damage bonus.

The channeling bonus damage is "+50% damage while channeling", not a "1.5x multiplier while channeling", and yes the UI is confusing and really needs to be fixed there.  Therefore a +100% channeling damage mod doubles the damage bonus from channeling from +50% to +100%.
All channeling damage mods work off of the weapons "+XX% damage while channeling" base, never a multiplier.

6 minutes ago, NeoSmile said:

(btw i do not understand why crit multiplyer calculates that way)

DE did that math for critical multipliers because they wanted critical damage to stack up faster than if it was simply "+XX% bonus damage on critical".

Edited by Tsukinoki

4 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

The channeling bonus damage is "+50% damage while channeling", not a "1.5x multiplier while channeling".

uhm, +50% and x1,5 is mathematically exactly the same.

@OP : like others said the mod increases the extra 50% damage and does not include the base 100% damage.

13 minutes ago, ButterLutter said:

Yes, but the point is the different effect when you introduce a multiplicative bonus to that.

+50% increased by 120% is +110%, for a channelling effect of x2.1 to total damage, which is what actually happens.

x1.5 increased by 120% is x3.3, which would be a channelling effect of x3.3 to total damage.

29 minutes ago, ButterLutter said:

Mathematically yes they are exactly the same.
In terms of how they are treated in game and how they are affected by mods they are completely different, which is what I was pointing out there.

In game a "+50% damage bonus" is not treated the same as a "1.5x damage multiplier" even though they work out to the same actual increase in damage.
I was merely pointing out that they aren't treated the same by mods, and that the channeling bonus damage falls into the first category and not into the multiplier category.