Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Netcode Needs A Serious Update

H0PE

1 or 2 out of 5 games I got totally un-enjoyable game. Best it would describe as ... dunno frame by frame screenshot game... Enemies, items are not moving, just running at one place, then after 5-10sec they move 5-10steps. This is probably like 1500+ms ping speed connection to the host.

2 out of 5 games I got lagy game, not so much as the above example, but still feels like I got 500+ms ping to the host.

If I understand correctly based on my experience, then clients in the group hosting the game, and they one of them the "server", is that correct? If yes, then the issue can be solved very easily, here is how:

1.) When a session starts, server sends out ping and measure player's netspeed for 5-10seconds.

2.) Then you rank them up in the group in order based on netspeed, and before the game starts.

e.g.: 1: 40ms, 2:98ms, 3: 150ms

3.) Then before players enter the game if needed you give the server to the first player in the list.

4.) If the server drops out or quits, you give the server job to the next player in the list.

Choppy laggy game problem solved -as much as you could with such an easy sollution-. Not a perfect solution since you never know what pc the other guy has and netspeed could change (like I start a torrent download in the background, that would definitely slow down my net :D).

But we need some sollutions because 4 out of 5 games as I above mentioned, the network games are really hard to enjoy as of now.

P.S.: I wouldn't even mind hosting all games when I start a game, I got 120/10 net, and kind of above awerage machine if that would boost my and other's enjoyment, but I suppose its kind of random who gets server.

Feel free to correct me and give better solution to the problem, and/or any information regarding my knowledge. :)

Edited by H0PE

The netcode is fine, your lack of understanding is the problem.

Games are hosted by the players, not DE, who ever launches the game hosts it, if the host drops the second person to join becomes the host and so on. If you insist on only joining others rather than hosting yourself you need to change the ping limit in your settings under the network tab, that way you wont be able to see games where the hosts ping is too high for a smooth game.

Edited by HexCaliber

Ping is only part of the issue, and by far the smallest part.

The other pars are:

-Host bandwidth to you (different than ping)

-Host performance.

If you join a host with poor upload bandwidth you will suffer. The ping may be 50ms but if he cant upload the game data fast enough there is going to be a lot of lag. Ping filtering doesn't really help with this.

If you join a host with poor computer performance then you will have lag because their computer cant handle doing everything fast enough.

Both of those issues are tricky to deal with and handle properly, and have nothing to do with the ping limit.

So fixing the lag and netcode is quite a bit more complex than you would think.

Edited by Tsukinoki

There are several issues to this.

1. The host's hardware.

Someone trying to host from a 3ghz Single Core or 2.2ghz Dual Core will almost certainly make laggy games.

Or even a host with a 4ghz Quad Core with only 2GB of RAM will make laggy games.

Minimum specs that are listed are for playing, not hosting.

2. The host's upload speed.

If a player only has 1Mbit (0,17 MB in speed) he will make a terrible host.

A 3Mbit upload speed is advised for hosting by DE.

3. Your own DL speed.

If you have ADSL 1 or 2Mbit (128KB / 256KB) internet, it's almost certain you'll get high pings.

If you can't download information fast enough, you're getting lag because of incomplete data.

Now, imagine this:

A friend of mine has 1Mbit DL and UL speed, plays on a 2.6ghz Dual Core and has 4 Gigs of RAM.

He would be a really S#&$ty host.

Another friend of mine has 50Mbit DL and 10Mbit UL speed, a 4ghz Quad Core and has 16 Gigs of Ram.

He would be a good host.

I understand things fine, what you mean is my knowledge is lacking right? :)

Thanks for pointing that settings out, I'll try to lower to 100ms. However ... well I think that will not change much but will see in the next day or so what will change.

The netcode is fine, your lack of understanding is the problem.

Games are hosted by the players, not DE, who ever launches the game hosts it, if the host drops the second person to join becomes the host and so on. If you insist on only joining others rather than hosting yourself you need to change the ping limit in your settings under the network tab, that way you wont be able to see games where the hosts ping is too high for a smooth game.