Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Level Re-Design

Iccotak

With our current movement system and DE in the works of creating enemies with tactical variety I think it is time that we revisit our levels and redesign them with those things in mind. 

First:
Our current movement system makes the levels about purely bullet jumping our way through. We need more varied ways of going through a level. Warframe is advertsied as "Space Ninjas" so give us ways to play through sneakily. Like in assassin's creed.
Basically make the movement system and the level work together like we have seen in the Mastery Rank trials and the Kuva Fortress. 

Games that I think DE could look at

VIDEOS
Titanfall 2 walkthrough

Prince of Persia (2008) Walkthrough

Assassin's Creed 2 level

To fully utilize their parkour systems, they make it necessary to use parkour to get to places and they create multiple floors to travel between through various methods.

Unforunatley, Bullet Jumping removes that in many of our current levels.
New levels such as the Mastery rank Tests, Lua room puzzles, and the Kuva Fortress ARE designed around our movement

Master Rank 11 test

Kuva Fortress Spy Mission

Lua Spy mission

I think we need more levels like this in the game, more open and more options of going through a map.

pop2008-13.jpg

Edited by Iccotak

I agree that (at least the old) tilesets feel claustrophobic, likely because it "worked" for the "old" movement system.

Hopefully those tilesets can be expanded with new, more appropriate tiles for the current movement possibilities.

On the other hand I wouldn't want the game to FORCE you to use all that advanced movement, but merely to give you optional paths to take.

Edited by Shifted

1 minute ago, Iccotak said:

That is all I ask for

True, but if you look at the newer Spy rooms (Lua for example) those are quite challenging and require a full and precise use of parkour 2.0.
Could argue those might be just a bit too hard.

Just now, Shifted said:

True, but if you look at the newer Spy rooms (Lua for example) those are quite challenging and require a full and precise use of parkour 2.0.
Could argue those might be just a bit too hard.

Well those levels are for higher levels, by the time Newer players reached that point they should be well versed in the movement system.

Many people have been asking for these changes and I myself don't know how I'd feel about them...
Some players pointed out that due to the parkhour system Warframe has  we could get a fighting system that's more similar to Nier Automata's or Prince of Persia dodges which actually keep in count stuff such as iframes and dashes ( for the first one ) or wall running , assassinations , ecc... ( talking about the second one ).

Talking about the movement system in relation to how the maps are designed, I'd actually like something that doesn't "force" us  to use the parkhour system ( even cause when we were  newbies we all struggled to keep up with the other players already ) but that encourages this system to be used more often...even bullet jumping but in a different context than just spamming it until the end of the mission ( which is still okay since we are in a grindy game and reducing the time the mission takes we reduce the grind as well ) .
I think new tilesets could actually be a solution, implying that said tilesets, apart from being parkhour puzzles, offered the player something worth parkhouring for....such as new types of mods from their caches or even some warframe's or weapon's parts.
As for running on beams , using flag staffs to jump , sneaking , having to deal with timed or mechanism-activated doors , ecc...I'd love it talking about a "fun" point of view...but it would also slow down people...hence why I wouldn't "force" the system onto players but I'd rather see it getting implemented for a specific tileset only....after all warframe isn't prince of persia.

The game is starting to lose its "space ninja" feeling....so even talking about that...I'd like to see tools such as those cables we sometimes hop onto return being useful instead of feeling redundant and I'd like to have more ninja specific tools....even just to use as consumables....Idk...smoke bombs and stuff.
That would however lead to a whole rework of the game as the enemies system and the missions system would need to be adapted to said changes...so I simply don't know what to suggest without making something move all the other engines...let's see what DE will come up with next....

1 hour ago, Elyann said:

to see tools such as those cables we sometimes hop onto return being useful instead of feeling redundant

Check out the Kuva fortress vdeo I linked. We need more levels like that. There are alot of instances where the cable ast as a point that you can land on or hold onto while waiting for a lift