Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ivara Prime

(PSN)BalancedEdge7

So since I finally finished farming all the Ivara pieces a few weeks ago, I've been playing her almost nonstop for every situation. W/out even a reactor I've brought her on level 40-50 missions no sweat. By far my favorite play-style and power set. Given there were no other designs or even many pieces of fan art for Ivara, let alone a prime variant, I decided to design my own. I started out by tracing the original frame (eliminating the massively over-sized head), and gilding/ altering lines and spaces where I saw fit. 

The initial result was the drawing on the left. I especially wanted to include the earring dangles, as my favorite alt helmets on all frames have them (There'd probably also be some on the other sections of the hood and the back). The helmet design followed the original skull-esque form while slimming it down, proportioning it a bit more realistically, and completing the X-Circle-Square-Triangle PS4 controller button theme present in the eyes. Then I thought it was missing something to fit the character, simply adding shiny parts (to a stealth frame, no less!) didn't make much sense.

Looking around at hunting equipment, I found a neat little piece of gear I thought would be perfect- the ghillie poncho. Of course, a full sized one on Ivara would make her look like a kubrow on two legs, so I minimalized the style for a small, orokin poncho w/ a repeating gild-and-space "camo" pattern. This would be either default design (removable by prime toggle) or an auxiliary attachment, as it links to the hood and arm pieces.

Finally, as with all primes, it needed a characteristic weapon. While in actuality this would probs be like the ballistica prime or daikyu prime, I based a bow on the Hungarian style of horsebow, a short agile recurve bow designed for fast firing while mounted (or in this case, flying at top speed toward unsuspecting enemies from the air).

rIgLJiE.png

Lemme know what you think- other possible design ideas and such. I might end up making a 3D mockup or nah, but this was just to pass the time so I'm probably not gonna draw any new changes.

5/1/17

Got bored, started redesigning in sculptris. A lot easier to scrap and redesign on the spot. Taking previous comments into account, cloth parts are being given a more ghillie, open design. Front is left visible, yet to decide how I want it to look though. Most details are now influenced from Scandinavian (viking i.e, Danish/ Norwegian) design. General inspiration:

0d2bGEV.jpg787d94886386add3c528463be79b0129.jpg

In addition to the hood-esque detail so that the poncho has something to link to like in the first design. I guess poncho is more of a cloak now.

rFpn761.png21NsyfY.png

Once again, thought? Continue? Burn it?

Edited by (PS4)BalancedEdge7
UPDATE!

I'm liking the look of the poncho, but pretty much everything else looks like a recolor. I understand that is mostly what Prime Warframes are, but recently, we have been seeing some changes in design for Prime items. Case and point, Nekros Prime and Banshee Prime.

At the very least, have you considered a new helmet?

Also, the Daikyu is kinda suck, and its mechanics don't really make me all that excited for it. While I completely understand the Bow design, and that could be a design for her Artemis bow, she came out with a new sniper rifle, the Rubico. It also happens to be my favorite Sniper rifle. Since the Vectis Prime is soon to be Vaulted, we will need a new Primed Sniper rifle. I suggest the Rubico Prime.

All in all, pretty good, but I think the overall design could use a little work.

Gonna keep this short because I'm sleepy:

Dude, I adore the Daikyu. It's one of my favorite weapons in the game, so I'd love Daikyu Prime. I disagree with @Lordnight5hade in terms of making another sniper rifle, not in the sense of not wanting one, but in the sense of theme. It'd be like making Galatine Prime go along with Valkyr Prime instead of Venka Prime (Yes, I'm well aware that it came with Nekros Prime, but I'm using it for example purposes). While it would be useful (and it is) on Valkyr Prime, it would not be very fitting for a Warframe like Valkyr, who's been known for being the "kittyframe" of WARFRAME, whereas some blinged-out claws do fit her. The same goes for Ivara and the Daikyu. While sniper rifles are very effective as Ivara (I've been guilty of doing this, sniper Ivara is amazing), and we're in a very dire need for new primed sniper rifles, it just wouldn't be thematically fitting for Ivara Prime to come out with a sniper rifle of any kind.

That aside, couple things on the designs themselves:

The design for both the Bow and Ivara Prime are a bit too conservative compared to how our more recent Prime arsenals are. Don't be afraid to push your creative limits! 

One thing you need to know about Ivara is that her actual model itself is broken down into pieces, meaning that DE has far more creative reign on what Ivara Prime could look like. If you want me to, I can send screenshots of what Ivara's body model looks like without all of the armor pieces; I was able to get a chance at seeing it while I was working on my Ivara Pagana helmet, it's very interesting to look at. I'd also work on the design for Poncho Prime a bit more; as much as I'd die for an auxiliary like that, the pattern on the poncho is rather awkward.

Keep in mind that Warframes have five color channels to your disposal, as well as any neutral areas that are uncolourable. With your current design, you have four; two matte colors that could be of two different materials if you wanted them to, one metallic color (the gold), and an energy. I'd say you have enough room to do one more. Don't be afraid to use neutral areas, but don't overdo them, either, and with Ivara's current design you can do gradients as long as you're careful with them. Another thing I'd add onto that is to further distribute your energy colors as well. Take a close look at how the energy is distributed throughout her design, as well as the designs of the recent Warframes, and see what you can do to add onto the design.

A useful thing to do is to put the colors you want to be recolourable to the side, as well as which color channels they are.

All in all, it's cute. Not a big fan of the poncho's or the helmet's designs, but I do love myself some Ivara, and this is a lovely take on Ivara Prime. Aside from my criticisms, it's very cute, and is reminiscent of the older Primes and how their Prime versions, but do keep in mind that there are a lot less limits for Ivara Prime than you think. Take reference to our current Prime Warframes, especially the newer ones, and see how far you can go with it.

10 hours ago, Lordnight5hade said:

I'm liking the look of the poncho, but pretty much everything else looks like a recolor. I understand that is mostly what Prime Warframes are, but recently, we have been seeing some changes in design for Prime items. Case and point, Nekros Prime and Banshee Prime.

Also, the Daikyu is kinda suck, and its mechanics don't really make me all that excited for it. While I completely understand the Bow design, and that could be a design for her Artemis bow, she came out with a new sniper rifle, the Rubico. It also happens to be my favorite Sniper rifle. Since the Vectis Prime is soon to be Vaulted, we will need a new Primed Sniper rifle. I suggest the Rubico Prime.

All in all, pretty good, but I think the overall design could use a little work.

It is mostly a recolor, absolutely. I looked back-and-forth between the primes I have and their regular counterparts, and even on the new ones the basic body shape and style is the same, it's usually patterns or additions that make them different (i.e; Nekros' wing cape and stomach and Banshee's sash), and even then the additions are most of the time more gilded pieces. The helmet I considered for a while, looking around at different cultural representations of the hunter, but the hood was definitely my favorite. Still gonna make up a few sketches for other designs, but there weren't many other distinguishing styles that haven't already been used in alt helmets.

8 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

Gonna keep this short because I'm sleepy:

Dude, I adore the Daikyu. It's one of my favorite weapons in the game, so I'd love Daikyu Prime. I disagree with @Lordnight5hade in terms of making another sniper rifle, not in the sense of not wanting one, but in the sense of theme. It'd be like making Galatine Prime go along with Valkyr Prime instead of Venka Prime (Yes, I'm well aware that it came with Nekros Prime, but I'm using it for example purposes). While it would be useful (and it is) on Valkyr Prime, it would not be very fitting for a Warframe like Valkyr, who's been known for being the "kittyframe" of WARFRAME, whereas some blinged-out claws do fit her. The same goes for Ivara and the Daikyu. While sniper rifles are very effective as Ivara (I've been guilty of doing this, sniper Ivara is amazing), and we're in a very dire need for new primed sniper rifles, it just wouldn't be thematically fitting for Ivara Prime to come out with a sniper rifle of any kind.

That aside, couple things on the designs themselves:

The design for both the Bow and Ivara Prime are a bit too conservative compared to how our more recent Prime arsenals are. Don't be afraid to push your creative limits! 

One thing you need to know about Ivara is that her actual model itself is broken down into pieces, meaning that DE has far more creative reign on what Ivara Prime could look like. If you want me to, I can send screenshots of what Ivara's body model looks like without all of the armor pieces; I was able to get a chance at seeing it while I was working on my Ivara Pagana helmet, it's very interesting to look at. I'd also work on the design for Poncho Prime a bit more; as much as I'd die for an auxiliary like that, the pattern on the poncho is rather awkward.

Keep in mind that Warframes have five color channels to your disposal, as well as any neutral areas that are uncolourable. With your current design, you have four; two matte colors that could be of two different materials if you wanted them to, one metallic color (the gold), and an energy. I'd say you have enough room to do one more. Don't be afraid to use neutral areas, but don't overdo them, either, and with Ivara's current design you can do gradients as long as you're careful with them. Another thing I'd add onto that is to further distribute your energy colors as well. Take a close look at how the energy is distributed throughout her design, as well as the designs of the recent Warframes, and see what you can do to add onto the design.

A useful thing to do is to put the colors you want to be recolourable to the side, as well as which color channels they are.

All in all, it's cute. Not a big fan of the poncho's or the helmet's designs, but I do love myself some Ivara, and this is a lovely take on Ivara Prime. Aside from my criticisms, it's very cute, and is reminiscent of the older Primes and how their Prime versions, but do keep in mind that there are a lot less limits for Ivara Prime than you think. Take reference to our current Prime Warframes, especially the newer ones, and see how far you can go with it.

I'm curious about this model with the removable pieces. This iteration is definitely just a first attempt. To be real, I still don't like the shape of Ivara's character model, which this is traced from initially, but I didn't want to completely scrap it and start over (yet). The bare model might be a good base to change some more things- I'm thinking a more ninja-esque style, like the game started out being, if it's to be paired with the daikyu. Daikyu seems fitting because of the draw gimmick, which isn't as much of a problem when you're invisible.

I agree with the over-minimalism, I usually do logo design and I'm not used to making things less practical. Poncho definitely needs some work, ghillie pattern is hard, but I think w/ the ornaments I can play on Ivara's fish-like appearance like scales. Helmet, as I said with Lordnight5hade, in progress. Frankly tempted to pull a Holden Caulfield style or an ushanka.

And one thing I left out entirely that I didn't want to deal with (that I'm surprised no one mentioned) was the whole quiver of arrows on her right arm. That'll probably come back in later designs.

8 hours ago, MagPrime said:

"I'ma keep this short with only 4ish paragraphs..."  0.0

I like the design, but MissKeepItShort is right, go a little nuts with the design. 

It was more a matter of time I wanted to put into it. Future designs will probably just be sketches until the very end, so I can get more ideas down. 

11 hours ago, MagPrime said:

"I'ma keep this short with only 4ish paragraphs..."  0.0

I like the design, but MissKeepItShort is right, go a little nuts with the design. 

I mean, if you wanna see long, I've made a 50+ page concept.

3 hours ago, (PS4)BalancedEdge7 said:

It is mostly a recolor, absolutely. I looked back-and-forth between the primes I have and their regular counterparts, and even on the new ones the basic body shape and style is the same, it's usually patterns or additions that make them different (i.e; Nekros' wing cape and stomach and Banshee's sash), and even then the additions are most of the time more gilded pieces. The helmet I considered for a while, looking around at different cultural representations of the hunter, but the hood was definitely my favorite. Still gonna make up a few sketches for other designs, but there weren't many other distinguishing styles that haven't already been used in alt helmets.

I'm curious about this model with the removable pieces. This iteration is definitely just a first attempt. To be real, I still don't like the shape of Ivara's character model, which this is traced from initially, but I didn't want to completely scrap it and start over (yet). The bare model might be a good base to change some more things- I'm thinking a more ninja-esque style, like the game started out being, if it's to be paired with the daikyu. Daikyu seems fitting because of the draw gimmick, which isn't as much of a problem when you're invisible.

I agree with the over-minimalism, I usually do logo design and I'm not used to making things less practical. Poncho definitely needs some work, ghillie pattern is hard, but I think w/ the ornaments I can play on Ivara's fish-like appearance like scales. Helmet, as I said with Lordnight5hade, in progress. Frankly tempted to pull a Holden Caulfield style or an ushanka.

And one thing I left out entirely that I didn't want to deal with (that I'm surprised no one mentioned) was the whole quiver of arrows on her right arm. That'll probably come back in later designs.

It was more a matter of time I wanted to put into it. Future designs will probably just be sketches until the very end, so I can get more ideas down. 

I can see where you're coming from completely. Your first drafts are first drafts for a reason: they're a start.

For the helmet/design as a whole, I'd go for a Norse inspiration, since Ivara comes from the norse name Ivar, and she could be based on Ivar the Boneless, a deadly Norse archer. I personally wouldn't go for ninjas as too much of an inspiration, more or less just because of the inspiration Ivara is taken from.

I'll get some screenshots for you of an armorless Ivara once I'm out of class. In addition, I could even throw in some of my own sketches if you'd like me to.

Very well done concept. 

You kept Ivara's visual language intact while "prime~y-fying" it without making the added details and gold applications look cluttered. (My favorite part is that you got rid of the weird flat apron-like design covering her hips in the original design.)

From a design perspective, however, the poncho is too much. While it is detailed enough to not look completely out of place, it obscures too much of a critical part of the frame's silhouette. (Center of the body visually determines the weight orientation of the entire pose and the shoulders determine the action orientation.)
My advice would be to make the poncho or hunter's net occupy a much smaller part of the silhouette or apply it like a piece of carry-on equipment. (The hunter's net sort of flung over the shoulder for later use.)

1 hour ago, Indrome said:

Very well done concept. 

You kept Ivara's visual language intact while "prime~y-fying" it without making the added details and gold applications look cluttered. (My favorite part is that you got rid of the weird flat apron-like design covering her hips in the original design.)

From a design perspective, however, the poncho is too much. While it is detailed enough to not look completely out of place, it obscures too much of a critical part of the frame's silhouette. (Center of the body visually determines the weight orientation of the entire pose and the shoulders determine the action orientation.)
My advice would be to make the poncho or hunter's net occupy a much smaller part of the silhouette or apply it like a piece of carry-on equipment. (The hunter's net sort of flung over the shoulder for later use.)

It was an interesting dilemma, because with Ivara's agile stance, she is so crouched over that you can never really see the front of her anyway. I think one possible solution would be to make it more like a shawl, covering the shoulders and back (since the back is usually less detailed and covered by a syandana anyway), and when crouched the back is the only thing that would really need to be covered. Then front detail, and especially sigils can still be seen. The front part of the shawl poncho can be something like ribbons dangling from the space where they connect to her arms, in reference to the translucent dangly bits on the original design, similar to valkyr's auxiliary but wider, more flowy. 

On 3/31/2017 at 6:12 PM, BlueLTO said:

You want Ivara Prime? THIS is Ivara Prime:

TBH I really don't care about the design I would just love to get Ivara prime but a design like this would look awesome and I wouldn't want it to look any other way.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2017 at 6:59 PM, Lordnight5hade said:

Well there's one issue there. Rubio is a grineer weapon isn't it? So I don't think that would happen. Though that thought process sorta got tossed out the window with Helios prime. Either way, with daikyu prime they could entirely change the weapons mechanics and give it more crit so it's actually worth a damn. I love the daikyu but it really needs a buff or it needs a prime that doesn't have the same stupid mechanics.

2 hours ago, KillerMemeStar3 said:

Well there's one issue there. Rubio is a grineer weapon isn't it? So I don't think that would happen. Though that thought process sorta got tossed out the window with Helios prime. Either way, with daikyu prime they could entirely change the weapons mechanics and give it more crit so it's actually worth a damn. I love the daikyu but it really needs a buff or it needs a prime that doesn't have the same stupid mechanics.

According to the Warframe Wikia, while the Rubico resembles the Grineer sniper rifle, the Vulkar, it says nothing about the Rubico being the same. As far as I can tell, the Rubico is a Tenno sniper rifle.

As for the Daikyu Prime, they could give it more crit, which is always nice, but I have never seen them change a weapon mechanic for a Primed Variant. I don't think that would happen, and would probably make the weapon suffer, evem if it was primed.

Also, loving the idea of the Cloak. I could see that as something that could be applied in an Auxilary slot, for Ivara only. I think it would probably be a good idea to fill in the holes in her cloak though. Or just leave a few. Too many doesn't really look like her style. When I think cloak, I kinda think like Ranger's Apprentice cloak, if you know what that is.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:13 PM, Lordnight5hade said:

Also, loving the idea of the Cloak. I could see that as something that could be applied in an Auxilary slot, for Ivara only. I think it would probably be a good idea to fill in the holes in her cloak though. Or just leave a few. Too many doesn't really look like her style. When I think cloak, I kinda think like Ranger's Apprentice cloak, if you know what that is.

Read the whole series, forgot about it until now. The character's kinda similar to the design I'm going for- nordic medeival. The open design for the cloak is sort of a spinoff on the transparent dangly bits on the original Ivara model.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, BlackDiamondAce said:

okay, I'm sure if you talk to any 3d modeler/sculptor.  They will break your model down for the hard segments.  What program are you using?

Sculptris. It's just fun to mess around with and throw into Mixamo for autorigging. I have zero training in modeling or the like, so It's the best I can do.

well for 0 training, its really good.  I've never heard of sculptris, but I have used Maya, Zbrush, Blender, and 3DSMax.  and in my opinion, hard surfaces can be done in any of these programs.  just a good tip, hard surface overlays should generally extrusions or pieces atop others; unless its all solid construction.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:10 PM, Lordnight5hade said:

According to the Warframe Wikia, while the Rubico resembles the Grineer sniper rifle, the Vulkar, it says nothing about the Rubico being the same. As far as I can tell, the Rubico is a Tenno sniper rifle.

As for the Daikyu Prime, they could give it more crit, which is always nice, but I have never seen them change a weapon mechanic for a Primed Variant. I don't think that would happen, and would probably make the weapon suffer, evem if it was primed.

But... Cernos prime is entirely different from its other varients. They completely changed the mechanics of the weapon.

44 minutes ago, KillerMemeStar3 said:

But... Cernos prime is entirely different from its other varients. They completely changed the mechanics of the weapon.

Giving a base of 3 arrow multishot is not a complete change. 

A complete change is having the Euphona P being the Pyrana's prime. Completely changing the animations, fire rate, damage distribution, etc, is a complete change. To date, that sort of thing hasn't been done. Some Primes do get some added mechanics, but nothing that makes the weapon another one entirely.

The Cernos Prime needed something to be relevant considering the Rakta and Mutalist variants (quickfire and Status versions). So it fires three arrows to remain relavant and useful, as a CC bow. 

And the Mutalist Cernos is much more different than the Cernos P is compared to the regular. There are Four Cernos Variants, after all. Already too many. 

Point is, complete mechanic changes are only needed if the weapon being primed has too many variants that fill the other roles.

27 minutes ago, ALOEDA1 said:

skirt?

i'm out of this until its removed

we have too many loincloth style skirts in this game

What were you thinking of? I agree with the loincloth, it was there as a base to test a full skirt. Depending on how that works out with stretching and such, I was either gonna roll with it or scrap it and go similar to the original where there's not really any cloth on the legs.