Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help with Nekros build

JohnKable

Question

Hi guys, i want to ask to "nekros main" players and its frequent users too a good build for him.
Its quite some time i have nekros prime in my inventory and I want to show some love with formas, but first of all ive been trying alot of builds and couldnt find a satisfying one so far.
Lets start saying i want to have desecrate active all day long, and it requires for sure stretch and eventually overextended (stretch alone usually is okay-ish) and despoil is a good option too (but not mandatory if running efficiency mods)
Starting from that i want him just durable, there is no other power i want to spam or maximize. So far i couldnt even figure out if it works best around augmented shadows or augmented terrify, they are both good and both have downsides. Shadows are quite dumb and scale quite poorly but tank for the whole team and with augment make me almost tanky. Terrify needs a little of spam to be effective, but i started liking it with the augment so i can kill enemies instead of having to chase them while running like headless chickens.
Last thing, no quickthinking. really, no. The stagger will literally kill you in longer missions, and usually aint needed in short ones.
Please share with me, thanks in advance!

19 answers to this question

One thing I do for Nekros is use Health Conversion, Equilibrium, and Despoil.  As you desecrate corpses, health orbs will drop and your health will be replenished, and you'll gain the extra armor from Health Conversion to help with survivability.  On top of that, with Equilibrium you'll be stocked for energy and can cast SotD or Terrify whenever you need to.  I also use Arcane Pulse for that extra health jolt for those times where you might be taking more damage than you are getting back from health orbs.

for desecrate i use stretch and cunning drift as range, i use despoil , equilibrium is mandatory on nekros !!!,  then I play health and energy conversion, quick thinking, prime continuity. I dont use efficiency mods, i dont need em. I recommend you to get an arcane pulse set ( when you pick up a health orb you have the chance to instantly recover a lot of health, in fact without using vitality you will replenish all the health bar), then I use arcane fury set on the helm cause i like to use atterax ( good slash dmg for desecrating). I saw you dont like quick thinking, well i guess its personal preference, i dont use health mods, its a waste of slots.

Another build , tanky and fun: both augments, despoil and shadows augment ( in fact with 200%  power strenght they give you 90 damage reduction), blind rage ( yes blind rage, efficiency not needed),power drift, stretch,equilibrium, health conversion, flow, continuity. I think i didnt forget anything, these are the builds I use on nekros, took em in endurance, they work very good. I often use naramon focus on nekros for atterax + arcane fury, its really nice.

I dont really like terror augment, I think its not necessary.

If you have other questions about nekros feel free to ask.

6 minutes ago, JohnKable said:

Lets start saying i want to have desecrate active all day long, and it requires for sure stretch and eventually overextended

I just want to throw this out there, but the base range for Desecrate is 25 meters. That's a long damn way, so keep in mind that every corpse will drain energy and if you have like 50 meters of range you're going to get a TON of energy drained. Granted, you can build to compensate for that, but that would require cutting duration by a good amount (and that's no help at all to your Shadows). It would also still murder your energy supply, even with incredible efficiency. Range mods are honestly not necessary unless you use Narrow Minded.

Also, Strength is important to a Nekros build. If you want your Shadows to survive at all or have any meaningful damage output after a certain level, then you need positive strength. You also need duration since that determines how long the Shadows stay up.

The only way Nekros can be tanky is if you build him for Shadows of the Dead and give him his Shield of Shadows augment, which gives Nekros a % of DR per Shadow he has up, totaling to 90% DR with all of your Shadows and, IIRC, an appropriate level of strength. 

This is my "main" build, which I find perfect for general use and especially great in Fissure Survivals*. Arcane sets are Grace (my catch-all Arcane) and Pulse (on helmet, for even better Despoil health recovery).

Despoil, Health Conversion and Equilibrium synergize stupidly well and do a good job keeping you stocked on both health and energy (which I mostly use for shadow maintenance). Not polarizing the aura slot also gives you excellent flexibility when it comes to aura choice - I usually run Rejuvenation just because, but can also run things like Corrosive Projection painlessly when required.

MJXLk4x.jpg

(Note: This screenshot is a bit old, I've since maxed my Primed Continuity)

* If you cast Shadows of the Dead fresh (i.e. zero active shadow) while the corrupted buff is active, you can permanently maintain 90% Shield of Shadows link with only 7 shadows even without building for strength (and wrecking efficiency), as long as you don't let them all expire (in which case you'll have to start over with another corrupted Warframe buff).

I have a max range build for maximum desecrate that I mainly use in JV, replacing Shields of Shadow and Intensify with Overextended and Cunning Drift or Streamline, but that one isn't quite as tough.

Edited by Mattoropael

Thanks guys for sharing.
So lets say that the sarting mods for almost ANY balanced Nekros build start with:
Vitality
Stretch
P.Continuity
And i agree with that.
So that leaves only 5 slots left, and the exilus that will slightly enhance range or strenght at will.
If i want to tank a bit more lets say shield of shadows stays the best option, and in case power strenght is def required to make it shine.
And what about Health conversion? does it actually work? i never tested it because i dont have one but if you guys say its worth it i can easily buy one

Another thing, i tested alot with and without despoil. Its good you can forget about energy but it basically keeps wasting all the health orbs most of the time without benefits. Shouldnt those be saved for actual survival purpose?

Edited by JohnKable

19 minutes ago, JohnKable said:

Thanks guys for sharing.
So lets say that the sarting mods for almost ANY balanced Nekros build start with:
Vitality
Stretch
P.Continuity
And i agree with that.
So that leaves only 5 slots left, and the exilus that will slightly enhance range or strenght at will.
If i want to tank a bit more lets say shield of shadows stays the best option, and in case power strenght is def required to make it shine.
And what about Health conversion? does it actually work? i never tested it because i dont have one but if you guys say its worth it i can easily buy one

Another thing, i tested alot with and without despoil. Its good you can forget about energy but it basically keeps wasting all the health orbs most of the time without benefits. Shouldnt those be saved for actual survival purpose?

The reason people use Despoil + Equilibrium + Health Conversion is because you're constantly below max health so you can pick up health orbs for health conversion, which does make you incredibly tanky, and for free energy. The first two mods replace standard efficiency mods so that you can dedicate all of your energy to surviving with the SotD augment. If Nekros has 214% Power Strength, the Shield of Shadows will give 90% damage reduction to you, but with this build, it's incredibly difficult to maintain both Desecrate and SotD for long periods of time. 

am i the only one who doesnt use stretch mod ? lmao. well i never needed to farm resource i always have enough. stretch is good in lets say survival mission when you and your squad are farming loots. this mod is optional. 

these are pretty much staple mods for nekros

vitality, health conversion, primed cont, equilibrium , despoil, shield of shadows

the last two depends on the player. 1 is a power str mod. might be intensify,  transient fortitude, energy conversion. the other one might be another str mod to get more dmg reduction from shield of shadows. but yeah i see most of the players putting stretch mod. 

well if you like to get the max dmg reduction you can use growing power on aura. thats whats on my aura slot. power drift on exilus so thats 40% power str. you need 74% more. you can put a level 8 blind rage thats 81% str but with -45% efficiency just put a streamline or a primed flow and it should be fine. or you can get the 74% with energy con or trans forti + intensify. most of the time i use a str mod + utility either creeping terrify/natural talent(the long cast of shadows of the dead annoys me) i keep on swapping depends on what i want. i dont use the max dmg reduction build simply because its not really needed at least atm unless you like doing those long survival runs. nek is tanky enough even with just 1 str mod i never had a problem with sorties or kuva flood with just 1 str mod. shields of shadows is just too good. 

Already good answers, I'll go ahead and just show the builds I use on Nekros and Nekros Prime just because there's maybe a bit of personal variation on them that so far has worked just fine for me. But for the most part, they're both the usual "Despoil Desecrate SoS tanking" builds.

Spoiler

5A64D8E37584D5C2297D30C9E9A746FCACC28484 (1680×1050)

136E2BF4F9913DC129318F842AD4C34BEAAF524F (1680×1050)

So, on Nekros (non-prime) we have the -aura so that we can make use of those very nice aura options (CP, ES, Enemy Radar, etc.)

On Nekros Prime I wanted the "blank" aura though so that I could use Anything I want there.

I don't think that Streamline is probably part of the usual "build meta" there but I absolutely love Nekros entire toolkit and this lets me use it all about as much as I could reasonably want to. 

And while neither build has a huge amount of Power Strength the Prime build works in Sortie-3 and I used it with no problems at all to run the 24 hour Gift of the Lotus Survival yesterday. 
As others went down around me I was able to SoS-Tank, Terrify and Soul Punch while also keeping up a steady stream of melee and gunfire, constant Desecration and rez the downed.

I actually ran it twice too, as one of my friends got on much later and just for fun, I did it with him even though I had done it already. Good times, haha.

And honestly the first time I wanted a bit of "badazz insurance" and set my Focus to Naramon but it was going so well that I didn't bother to activate it (I know, crazy, right?!) and the 2nd time I used Vazarin instead as the ability to Instantly rez people was really helpful. 
And it did get used a lot, heh.
But not on me. ;-)

So yeah, that's my own take on it and so far so good!

Cheers
~R~

p.s. also if this hasn't come up, I recommend trying to use Slash based weapons as much as you're able.
Because that'll give you more parts to Desecrate. 
And it's also generally pretty good anyhow.

2 hours ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

...i use despoil , equilibrium is mandatory on nekros !!!,  then I play health and energy conversion...

I have a question on this.

If you're running Equilibrium, doesn't that keep your energy pretty well stocked up?  How does Energy Conversion come into play?  Do you cast something to use up energy when you see an energy orb and the quickly suck it up and cast SotD?

2 hours ago, Xionyde134 said:

The reason people use Despoil + Equilibrium + Health Conversion is because you're constantly below max health so you can pick up health orbs for health conversion, which does make you incredibly tanky, and for free energy. The first two mods replace standard efficiency mods so that you can dedicate all of your energy to surviving with the SotD augment. If Nekros has 214% Power Strength, the Shield of Shadows will give 90% damage reduction to you, but with this build, it's incredibly difficult to maintain both Desecrate and SotD for long periods of time. 

Basically Health conversion is good if i run despoil, and equilibrium can be the cherry on top.  

You guys showed me alot of solid builds, now its time for me to forma and test whatever is best for me. At least i have cleared my mind on the polarities im supposed to slot with no drawbacks

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

I have a question on this.

If you're running Equilibrium, doesn't that keep your energy pretty well stocked up?  How does Energy Conversion come into play?  Do you cast something to use up energy when you see an energy orb and the quickly suck it up and cast SotD?

energy conversion : it gives you 50% more power strenght on the next ability cast !  yes shadows of the dead or terror :) 

Corrosive Projection, Power Drift

Vitality, Stretch, Primed Continuity, Intensify, Streamline -Stat mods

Health Conversion, Despoil, Shield of Shadows- Utility mods

A few thoughts on this build:

I don't use Equilibrium because I have Despoil powering Desecrate and I use Zenurik.  Plenty of time to refill energy in between SoS casts.

I went without Stretch for a while.  Range isn't that important on Nekros if you stay moving.  (You dont want range below 100% of course.)  I put Stretch back on because there isn't much else worthwhile.

You don't want Rejuvenation or any other incremental healing on Nekros.  You always want to be a few hp from full so you can pick up health orbs and build armor stacks.  Besides, his passive already keeps his health up.

The only mod that I'm not convinced of its place in this build is Streamline.  Energy isn't a problem so it's just there to lessen the pain of Despoil.  I might get around to putting in Constitution, Natural Talent, Steel Fiber, or another augment, but that will take a third forma.

Just now, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

I get how the mod works, but how do you make sure you have room to pick up an energy orb?

with equilibrium and arcane pulse youre always full of health and energy, so you will always have on the right corner of the screen the symbol of energy conversion, meaning that yuour next ability cast will be stronger in terms of power strenght

1 minute ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

with equilibrium and arcane pulse youre always full of health and energy, so you will always have on the right corner of the screen the symbol of energy conversion, meaning that yuour next ability cast will be stronger in terms of power strenght

Only after you pick up an energy orb.  It doesn't count health orbs even with Equilibrium, does it?  So, if you are flush with energy, how do you get rid of it to pick up another one?

Just now, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Only after you pick up an energy orb.  It doesn't count health orbs even with Equilibrium, does it?  So, if you are flush with energy, how do you get rid of it to pick up another one?

works only with energy orbs, if youre full then simply recast shadows of the dead ( in fact you will be in a situation to recast it multiple times to heal em or if you move to make em teleport to your position). after recasting sowd you will be able to pick up another energy orb and cast more and more and more abilities. When i say youre always full of energy i mean that you can constantly spamming powers and desecrate without warning yourself too much about not playing vitality

16 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

works only with energy orbs, if youre full then simply recast shadows of the dead ( in fact you will be in a situation to recast it multiple times to heal em or if you move to make em teleport to your position). after recasting sowd you will be able to pick up another energy orb and cast more and more and more abilities. When i say youre always full of energy i mean that you can constantly spamming powers and desecrate without warning yourself too much about not playing vitality

OK, so you cast SotD, pick up the energy orb then cast again.  I may try that.  Right now I'm running Nekros actually.