Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Its Time: Otw Server

Cleesus

DE, I think its past time you opened up a OTW server with and select a nice amount of people to test your content before you release it to us all.

We all know its impossible for game devs to test a game in all the different weird ways a community can. I think it would be a good idea to do this.

The people can give you a different POV on things like the aura system, the nightmare system making things hard for newcomers and so on.

They can also prevent ridiculous things like the messed up loot table, Rapors attacks filling up your screen with smoke, making it near impossible to see him. Or Raptors attacks not exploding after he is dead, him getting stuck on cliffs, and so on.

I realize this is supposed to be beta but at this point it seems we could really use an test server to test some of this stuff before it gets in game. 

(If you have some concerns about why i think this game needs a OTW server while its in beta please refer to this post https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/78791-de-its-time-otw-server/#entry859603)

Thoughts?

Edited by theclinton

Sounds good, should probably be a design council perk (I'm not in there, but it's only fair to those guys who paid more than enough)

oh yeah i meant to add that in there. Idk if it should be a design council perk or if it should be something you should have to apply for or both.

Never in the past nor the future?! OH DEAR NO!

More in the fact that they're always either in alpha/beta in terms of how buggy they are, but on the other hand most allow you to buy things for real money during the so-called beta, so I've come to realise that the term beta just doesn't apply to F2P games any more.

More in the fact that they're always either in alpha/beta in terms of how buggy they are, but on the other hand most allow you to buy things for real money during the so-called beta, so I've come to realise that the term beta just doesn't apply to F2P games any more.

Well you just need to believe. BELIEVE!.. Or not who knows...

Thank you, I didnt realize this was in beta, I didnt mention that in my op.

Just because you mentioned in your OP, doesn't mean it's irrelevant. Or even that you understand what the term beta means. We are currently in the server you are describing. If you don't want to test changes, wait for the game to be released.

DE, I think its past time you opened up a OTW server with and select a nice amount of people to test your content before you release it to us all.

We all know its impossible for game devs to test a game in all the different weird ways a community can. I think it would be a good idea to do this.

The people can give you a different POV on things like the aura system, the nightmare system making things hard for newcomers and so on.

They can also prevent ridiculous things like the messed up loot table, Rapors attacks filling up your screen with smoke, making it near impossible to see him. Or Raptors attacks not exploding after he is dead, him getting stuck on cliffs, and so on.

I realize this is supposed to be beta but at this point it seems we could really use an test server to test some of this stuff before it gets in game. 

Thoughts?

Hmm I think you may have forgotten, but this game is still in beta and as such we are already testing the content and game to help remove game-breaking errors and other undesirable bugs, so this is effectively an 'always-on' test server, so we don't need another 'test' server now do we?

Just because you mentioned in your OP, doesn't mean it's irrelevant. Or even that you understand what the term beta means. We are currently in the server you are describing. If you don't want to test changes, wait for the game to be released.

Not much testing going on over here, there isnt even any in game reporting tools. 

People dont go into this game planning to test and write bug reports and submit feedback, as the would do in a real beta/OTW. People go into this game just to play a game. There is a big difference. 

Im not saying it wrong ( I mean it is a game after all) but i feel like we need a server/forum dedicated to JUST testing and finding bugs in the new content and patches before they come out to the public beta".

Im also not sure why you guys are putting words in my mouth. I never said or hinted that I didnt want to test, I said we should have a  community dedicated to testing. If you dont want to read and you want to simply argue with me and others over if this is beta or not, please leave this thread.

I'm not sure about you people, but an open beta title is a released game in my books. The tag just means it's in active development. Open beta is the best way to get people whining about how bad a game is because it's full of bugs and sometimes unplayable.

The second a game (or any other product) hits open and wide distribution, there will be a lot of people who don't realize that bugs are to be expected, people who don't understand the concept of a real beta. For this reason, the suggestion in op is valid.

Also this game will need an OTW server anyway when it launches on the PS4 in a few months. Console gamers arent forgiving when it comes to bugs and broken content and things like that can kill reviews and a games public image. So there isnt any reason to get one started now.

I'm not sure about you people, but an open beta title is a released game in my books.

Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta (or in some cases, both); closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.

Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

What you are talking about is known as a Release candidate.

A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug. A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There could still be source code changes to fix defects, changes to documentation and data files, and peripheral code for test cases or utilities. Beta testers, if privately selected, will often be credited for using the release candidate as though it were a finished product. Beta testing is conducted in a client's or customer's location and to test the software from a user's perspective.

Not much testing going on over here, there isnt even any in game reporting tools. 

People dont go into this game planning to test and write bug reports and submit feedback, as the would do in a real beta/OTW. People go into this game just to play a game. There is a big difference. 

Im not saying it wrong ( I mean it is a game after all) but i feel like we need a server/forum dedicated to JUST testing and finding bugs in the new content and patches before they come out to the public beta".

Im also not sure why you guys are putting words in my mouth. I never said or hinted that I didnt want to test, I said we should have a  community dedicated to testing. If you dont want to read and you want to simply argue with me and others over if this is beta or not, please leave this thread.

"You don't agree with me so leave"...great argumentative skills you got there.

It's ironic that people complain about lack of bug report features when there's oh so many of them. That's kinda the point of being a tester, as opposed to a player. A 'player' needs to be provided everything cleanly and easily(which is why major online games like WoW and LoL have bug report features built in). Where a 'tester' is supposed to have to put a little more effort in, because they are a tester, they get to play an unfinished game early in exchange for that tiny bit of effort.

And people don't go into most betas "expecting" to write bug reports. Or into alphas for that matter. Doesn't mean that isn't what they are 'supposed' to be doing. Because it is. And it's what you signed up for when you installed the game.

"You don't agree with me so leave"...great argumentative skills you got there.

It's ironic that people complain about lack of bug report features when there's oh so many of them. That's kinda the point of being a tester, as opposed to a player. A 'player' needs to be provided everything cleanly and easily(which is why major online games like WoW and LoL have bug report features built in). Where a 'tester' is supposed to have to put a little more effort in, because they are a tester, they get to play an unfinished game early in exchange for that tiny bit of effort.

And people don't go into most betas "expecting" to write bug reports. Or into alphas for that matter. Doesn't mean that isn't what they are 'supposed' to be doing. Because it is. And it's what you signed up for when you installed the game.

Alright its clear that you either didnt read what I wrote or you just dont get what im trying to say. Thats okay, lets just end this here.

Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta (or in some cases, both); closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.

Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

What you are talking about is known as a Release candidate.

A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug. A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There could still be source code changes to fix defects, changes to documentation and data files, and peripheral code for test cases or utilities. Beta testers, if privately selected, will often be credited for using the release candidate as though it were a finished product. Beta testing is conducted in a client's or customer's location and to test the software from a user's perspective.

On the other hand most betas don't have a real money cash shop...

"Demonstrating a product to potential customers"

"Pre-ordering"

"Head start"

It's a natural progression of things.

Then you can't use the excuse "It's beta" to waive concerns about product readiness, hence an OTW server is necessary.