Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Burst fire weapons revision

Chimera042

As an avid Warframe player, I own every single weapon (except Braton Vandal) and in most situations I find myself passing up the burst-fire weapons for their semi-auto or full auto counterparts.

On paper the weapons seem good but tend to fall off when used against higher level enemies (sans riven mods, of course)

So I propose that a few quality of life changes be made (or at least considered) for the entire burst fire weapon category to at least make them feel better to use and more viable in higher level play even if their damage stat isn't as high as some of the more meta weapons

Primaries with the burst fire trigger are the Sybaris family, the Harpak, the Burston family, the Paracyst, the Tiberon, the Hema, and the Hind.

Secondaries with the burst fire trigger are the Sicarus family and the Kraken

The First QoL change should be the change of 2-shot bursts to the duplex-auto trigger. There is only one weapon family that has this trigger type, and that is the Tigris and its variants. While the change would be awkward for most at first, It will serve as a boon to most players as the duplex will feel more responsive, help with accuracy, and reduce the chances of wasting shots (due to the fact that maybe you only needed 1 shot to kill, but shot 2 anyway due to burst). The Sybaris and the Kraken would benefit as they become more DMR styled weapons as it becomes easier to pick of far away targets.

The Second QoL change should be to the way magazine sizes of burst weapons are dealt with. It irks me (and I'm sure other players as well) that it is almost impossible to use clip size increase mods on burst fire weapons without getting a perfect burst amount. Weapons with burst fire triggers should have their maximum magazine compacity calculated by the number of bursts the gun can fire. Take for example the Burston with its 45 bullet clip, the new magazine max will read as 15(x3) or something along those lines and weapons with an alternate fire that takes 1 bullet will now instead take 1 burst but have its damage altered to compensate. This change to the way magazine is calculated will be more intuitive and make the weapons easier to build around.

The Third QoL change will be the addition or change of some alternate fires. The Hind alternate fire is better to use than its primary when it should be a trade off. After the proposed magazine revision the Hind would have a 13(x5) clip and what its alternate fire should do is 100% accuracy, with increased critical chance and damage that is equal to 80% of the burst as one shot, in this case 4 bullets as 1. The primary fire should be the same 5 shots but with higher status chance than the alternate so the choice changes from waste ammo with the primary and do damage with the alternate to status procs and dps on the primary and accuracy, crit, and damage per shot on the alternate.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend an alt fire on the Burston or Sicarus as it might skew the power of starter weapons but tjey could stand to get less kick and less time between bursts to make them easier to use.

The Tiberon could get a shotgun shot with 6 pellets as its alt to make it more versatile.

The Harpak and the Paracyst should have their alt changed from a ranged drag, to a damage dealing alternative. The Harpak alt harpoon could change to a ranged stagger or knockdown, while the Paracyst alt should do an AoE status burst at the point of impact.

and the Hema could get a charged shot that heals regardless if its a head shot or not

Above are just a few suggestions that I have regarding burst weapons. I would love for someone at DE to at least skim over my suggestions as I feel (in my extremely biased opinion) it would breath life into these lesser used weapons.

These weapons have lesser use that are a result pure stats and enemy variation .

There are no enemies in Warframe that require precision, therefore the role of marksman type rifles suffer. In Warframe, a weapon that is effective from far is just as effective up close. An exception to this rule to consider is Vey Hek or Lephantis. Considering they both require precision and heavily punish for being close gives these burst weapons advantages over automatic weapons which should suffer from damage fall off but I don't think they do as well as have recoil.

The issue is that enemies that require precision are far and few which is why an enemy rework would offer a ton of unique opportunities for DE to bring the challenge fun and fairness back to the game.

Giving Burst weapons alt fires that give them the role of another weapon archetype won't fix the issues you have with them. They need enemies to have a role against. 

Duplex isn't Burst - so you're looking to change Weapons that are Burst into not Burst.
functionally the same under normal circumstances, the only 'benefit' being able to use it not as a Burst Weapon and instead as some strange bastardized Semi-Auto.

you can simplify that simply by having Magazine increase/decrease round to the nearest Burst Size.

the Alt Fire on Hind is just redundant regardless. Burst is a type of Semi-Auto, adding Semi-Auto to a Semi-Auto Weapon is.... just why.
make a different Alt Fire.

Burst Weapons aren't common to see because they aren't good, but because of Powercreep with things like Shotguns defeating the other 95% of the Weapons in the game.

ya. I often use burst guns. Tiberon and burston P being some of my favorites. Paracyst is nice as a status gun. I just wish teh grapple didnt ragdoll enemies past or over my head sometimes.
Hind alt fire trades of over all damage for one shot damage. (since its only one shot at a much lower ROF) and kinda helps the gun since unlike other burst you dont waste 1 or 2 bullets on kills but you can waste 2-4 bullets.
Burst guns are spose to be inbetween full auto and semi-auto. they can clear out multiple targets like a full and they can take down a single target like a semi...just not as effectivly on either. bu sadly there stats often have them close to a full auto weapon with a semi auto feel.

Edited by Ordosan