Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How's Saryn right now?

mosaickle

Question

20 answers to this question

Most likely because Saryn has somewhat polarizing benefits.

She's a very good group damage buff frame, surpassing Nova against armored enemies and slightly under Nova against unarmored.

Her ability to solo falls off about lvl 80ish but she's also one of the best choices to use with Naramon - Shadow Step, letting her easily solo lvl 300+.

So in the right circumstances she's one of the best picks and under the wrong circumstances she average.

She is really good, her kit encourages her to use most of her abilities, and Spore by itself is a very powerful ability. I will say that Saryn is in a much better place as compared to the past when she was simply another "Mash 4 to nuke" Warframe. The ones who say that she is not good are completely ignorant people who probably didn't even bother to try her out after her rework.

IMO and take in mind I don't play much Saryn, I quite enjoy playing her with the balanced stats melee build with regen molt, not to mention she can proc viral and toxin which is the strongest combo specially if you combine that with slash procs. Her gameplay feels fluid and it is overall a pretty good frame capable of handling herself solo even on 100 lvl playing with no cheese

Edited by LycanPT

1 hour ago, X3Evanescence said:

She is really good, her kit encourages her to use most of her abilities, and Spore by itself is a very powerful ability. I will say that Saryn is in a much better place as compared to the past when she was simply another "Mash 4 to nuke" Warframe. The ones who say that she is not good are completely ignorant people who probably didn't even bother to try her out after her rework.

I'm hesitating about potatoing her...

I need to potatoe a "bruiser" frame for fast missions (missions where my nova doesn't have the time to cast her zenurik: I tend to die a lot before I get my energy regen). Saryn prime seems to have good armor, shield and hp (and an insane amount of energy if you can activate your zenurik; although naramon seems to be a good choice also).

But I don't know if I like the abilities. I like the fact molt draws enemy fire (it gives a bit of utility), I like her DD capacity, but I feel she require too much micro-management: "toxic lash - molt - step back - a couple of spore - a couple of melee attack - miasma - miasma" is a far more convoluted combo than "molecular prime - null star - hide and shoot until something explode" (or "desiccation - hit melee button until all is dead" - I potatoed Inaros for the lul'z).

So should i potato her or not? (edit: I'm hesitating about potatoing her or equinox. But Equinox is far more squishy, I'm not sure she can be considered as a "bruiser").

Edited by mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa

6 minutes ago, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

So should i potato her or not?

Yes you definately should and a few forma as well for good measure, I play a lot of Saryn and she's incredible. 

Took her into the Sortie 3 augmented armour survival on Kuva Fortress about a week ago and everything insta-died. She has the ability to kill any enemy at pretty much any level in seconds.

Just make sure to stack that toxin damage on your weapons, it's her best friend :)

If you want a mobile brawler I would suggest something more like Rhino.

Saryn is worth your time to forma ect but she's not without faults and in no way covers the role of a bruiser / brawler.

Her ability to melee and solo starts to fall off around lvl 80. She's incapable of solo or melee without Naramon past lvl 150. Her kit and synergy work fine in low-mid level content but it doesn't later in levels. Her spores AoE damage is subject to armor mitigation, Toxic Lash becomes a no-cast ability because she cannot afford to melee and her Miasma does little more than tickle enemies.

Saryn's strength is in her ability to halve enemy HP through Spore's Viral proc and her ability to buff team damage output through the Venom Dose augment. When it comes down to it, that's what Saryn does. She casts 1 a lot, sometimes bounces her 1 off her Molt and on very rare occasions she can use her Miasma for the ~3s Stun CC but there's nothing more than mild ambient damage coming from Saryn. Past lvl 100 her kit just isn't there.

If you want to use Sorties or below lvl 100 content as an example to a frame's strength then play whatever you like because it doesn't really matter at that level. The true strength of a frame can only be tested at much higher levels. Saryn can easily do her part in a group up to lvl 2,600 but the concept of her being a melee frame without Naramon or doing direct damage with abilities has long since left her by that point.

4 hours ago, THeMooN85 said:

Saryn is great DD... and horrible at entertainment.

Use molt > Put Spores on it > destroys Spores on it, put another cup of Spores on it, watch the numbers around you & gain no fun at being the best DD who doesn't seen his/hers opponents.

you should really play more missions besides bere mate

54 minutes ago, THeMooN85 said:

You mean Hydron? :)

Yeah I know She can be nice DD with melee... actually I'm going to rebuild her for that :)

You know I feel sorry for you, if you like these kinds of things good for you but you're missing an actually good frame

11 minutes ago, LycanPT said:

You know I feel sorry for you, if you like these kinds of things good for you but you're missing an actually good frame

That's actually pretty accurate to how she plays outside the starmap and Sorties.

Her kit stops working past lvl 100.

Even at lower levels the majority of her group kill rate improvement is coming from her first ability. You don't really need to use anything else.

7 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

That's actually pretty accurate to how she plays outside the starmap and Sorties.

Her kit stops working past lvl 100.

Even at lower levels the majority of her group kill rate improvement is coming from her first ability. You don't really need to use anything else.

IMO 100% viral procs gains even more importance past lvl 100, but that is just me being a noob immarite? Or people just go naranoob past that level?

She has a better loki decoy even, with a sustain augment and a CC with corrosive (4th ability), free toxin on melee (3rd ability)... saryn is pretty much designed to go long run

Edited by LycanPT

11 minutes ago, LycanPT said:

Don't be... I'm already MR23 and I'm sometimes bored of running around and jumping and slashing everything and firing bullets like crazy... sometimes I just love being lazy :)

For more active play I got Nekros for example :P

4 hours ago, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

But Equinox is far more squishy, I'm not sure she can be considered as a "bruiser").

Equinox has probably the best nuking potential in Warframe and is awesome for CC+healing, but this thread is not about her.

Saryn has pretty good armor and high potential for killing because her Spores proc Viral and spread Toxin when you break them with a gas/toxin proc. I do recommend slapping a tater on her, but she doesn't really serve the role of 'bruiser' as much as something like Rhino or Atlas would. 

12 minutes ago, LycanPT said:

IMO 100% viral procs gains even more importance past lvl 100, but that is just me being a noob immarite? Or people just go naranoob past that level?

She has a better loki decoy even, with a sustain augment and a CC with corrosive (4th ability), free toxin on melee (3rd ability)... saryn is pretty much designed to go long run

I just said that majority of her group kill rate comes from her first ability. ie Viral proc and +%Toxic damage buff for team mates.

You were making assumptions about someone's play style but that's actually how she plays in long runs as well.

Her first ability is designed for long runs and her 3rd with Naramon. The rest is exactly the opposite. It stops working.

Her Molt isn't better than Loki's decoy because enemies still have their weapons and it's gone instantly. The healing it provides you doesn't help because you get one-shot and the ~13k Corrosive damage her Miasma does after her song and dance "synergy" is peanuts compared to shooting your weapon with buffs like Sonar in play. At best it gets used for the ~3s CC that ideally you should never need.

All she really does late game is cast her first ability or bounce her first ability off her molt.

Already a lot of good info on the goods and bads for Saryn.

One thing I wanted to emphasize on a bit is casting Spores on enemies vs on Molt.

Not that you shouldn't cast it on Molt, but do feel free to make liberal use of casting it on enemies.

What I normally do is if it's a fairly static mission (Defense, intercept, holding a room in Survival, protecting the hack on a Mobile Defense) then shedding a Molt and casting Spores twice on it and shooting/melee those to get things started. Enemies will keep rolling in and probably from different directions so go ahead and cast some Spores on those guys as they head in too.

If your allies are active then they'll help you out whether they mean to or not by attack those targets and help you spread Spores.

If you're doing a much more mobile mission (moving rooms on Survival, Exterminate, etc) then Molt+Spores isn't going to be all the effective, so targeted Spores really is the thing to do then.

When I do Molt+Spores I usually cast Spores twice, since once doesn't tend to be enough and 3 times can be a waste if the first 2 Spore sets have already started spreading. Plus if you've attacked all those spores and need more then you can always go ahead and cast it again as needed until you see those spore numbers popping up.

Then when you see those numbers pop them spores, which of course makes the Molt go away. So I don't really build around the Molt for more than getting Spores started or a quick distraction target. And when you get the levels where "stuff matters" your Molt won't take a lot of punishment, so again I don't see any reason to emphasize the Molt. 

A lot of people like yo include Regenerative Molt but I stopped using it a while ago. Since, as I said, when damage really starts to hurt your Molt won't last very long, and if you're popping Spores the Molt goes away. 

So personally I find it better to try to use other means of healing or avoiding that damage.

And I think this leads to the part about Saryn not really being one of the stronger Solo frames (outside of a "niche" build like Toxic Lash+Naramon) but is a solid Team Frame.

As a team frame she is your DD, but besides that, she does help the team overall by providing widespread Viral status, which means if you've coordinated that an entire elemental combo set you can replace with whatever else you want!

I really think DE knocked it out of the park with her rework, since it focused on synergizing her kit to keep doing the things she is good at. 

Not to head off topic but if DE ever does give Ember (another) rework I really hope they treat her much more like they did Saryn than they did Ash... =p

If you want to use her in fast missions and go cheese,  use a Spore build and equip an gas ignis/ignis wraith.

Regarding the topic:  I find Saryn a really good frame right now.  She's abit hard to build since you need all 4 stats to be quite high.