Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loadout Recommendations before every mission, especially later levels for new players

Matoro_Zeliph

I have to agree with some players that it's never clear how to progress through the game, without using some outside resource to help you out. I know DE is trying to appeal to newer players with a better introduction and all that but I don't think that's enough. The player will hit a wall at some point and give up on the game thinking it's P2W (when really it's not). That's what I did.
Fortunately, I took the effort in asking the community for some guidance here .

However, I don't think the average player would go out of the way to look out to a wikia to help them out. In my opinion, everything should be explained to them in game to progress, especially later levels.

What I was thinking that would help in later levels in the game, the mission description would provide the player loadout recommendations before every mission.

For example it might recommend:
- Enemies are Grineer, so you need to bring puncture weapons
- have a stealth frame or bring a silent weapon for this one
- recommend having these basic mods equipped.
- Also, gives the player a warning taking the consideration the current equipment they have now, the party size, not high level enough (and the player has the option to turn that off or skip it if they want).
(You know, basic insight to give the player an idea to help them progress and LEARN IN GAME!).

To keep it lore friendly, you can make is so a Tenno scout or a Grineer/Corpus Spy telling you what you're going up against. It doesn't have to be fancy in game voice dialogue. It can be like, "Hey Tenno, I've been scouting around and here is what I recommend." To make it interesting, you can pay the Spy/Scout some credits, so they can tell you if there are any rare loot in the level you should keep your eye out for. Idk!

---

What do you think?

Edited by Matoro1992

31 minutes ago, OptimusRex007 said:

"these basic mods" what mods??

Serration/Split Chamber etc, potentially Vitality/Redirection and so on.

You know, basic mods that are fundamental to any build.

Edited by DeMonkey

I think what would help a lot more is providing players with a way to link full builds in chat, instead of a list of individual mods, so that new players can ask for help getting a build together, and get it, in game.

Give players a way to make dummy builds using any of the game's available mods*, separate from their armory, and put a 'Link to chat' button at the bottom of the screen, along with 'Export' and 'Import' buttons that provide either a copy-able text string, or space to paste one.

Then provide a dedicated 'new players only' chat channel, just like there is in EVE Online (you know, the game with this difficulty curve), where players have access to it for their first month of play, and after that only if they sign up to provide help in it, like guides of the lotus.  Less trolling of the new players, because older players are sick of seeing the same questions in the public chat.  More help targeted towards those who need it most.

DE don't need to go to all the trouble of creating tutorial missions in order to help out new players.  What they do need to do is make it easier for players to help each other, and that includes making it easier to store information outside the game (because lets face it, DE aren't going to give us any storage space on our accounts for dummy builds), and get it back in with the minimum of fuss.

When you're answering the same kinds of questions day after day, and the people you're talking to don't want to alt-tab back and forth between warframe-builder.com and their armory, while you try to help them put a build together, you want to be able to do something like have a text document open you can alt-tab to, with a whole load of text strings saved in it.

You can type '[b:' into chat and then copy/paste one of those text strings after it, so it reads '[b:MCwwLDAsMCwxLDAsMCwwOjEyMSw0OjE0LDM6NjgsNjozMjksNDoxNzUsNToxMzcsNTo3MywzOjE0NCw1]', and when you hit enter the chat displays the link [Build: Starter Latron - Grineer], which your newbie can then click on to be taken to their version of the dummy-build screen, which has the 4th button 'Copy to Armory' (with a popup asking if you want to paste to Config A/B/C, and overwrite if there are already mods slotted).

Then you add a feature for Clan Approved Builds so the new player clans can have a collection of build for their needs, and the end-gamers can have builds listed in-clan for theirs.

[edit]  Also, if you're going to make players scan things for info, ditch the codex scanner, and send new players straight to Simaris instead.

*Screw the codex and its stupid restriction of not letting you see what a mod does until you own it.  What purpose does it serve when anyone can link mods for you to look at in chat, besides making the codex useless as a resource, forcing reliance on either 3rd party sites, or other players?

Edited by polarity

The only problem I have across regarding this has been because of "weird" enemy units we now suddenly have.

I mean, you can equip practically any mix of gear with no Forma as long as they have Catalysts/Reactors, and run any Star Chart missions, but the moment a Bursa or Romba or Nullifier show up, if you don't have something "appropriate" to deal with them, the combat is an order of magnitude worse.

I have literally run Special Alerts with un-modded Frames and a Lato just to see how bad they could be, and again, unless you hit special units, you can just play carefully and still do them, but I've been trapped in rooms with Multiple Bursa's (like, 3-4) running around drained to zero energy, while being blinded, slowed and shot at long range by missiles, and my thought is always "why don't Corpus just send these all the time, instead of letting us murder them by the thousands?"

I generally think that if the missions "difficulty" curve was improved, it would be more logical for players to gradually add Forma to gear or to go after specific weapons.

I can more or less murder the Star Chart just with a Glaive, but I have to basically do an entire Riverdance ballet to kill a Bursa with one, it's like the game is screaming at me "why did you not just bring a 4 Forma Tigris???".

You should be able to play as you want, while now, you could just have the game tell you "you know what, just bring Loki and stay invisible with a hushed shotgun" and that will cover 99% of the entire game.

I'm all for sharing builds and whatnot, but every time you do so, you will just have people post one of a handful of "do everything" FOTW builds, and tell you that if you are using any other Frames or weapons you are doing it wrong. Asking "any one have a Banshee build?" will generally cause tumbleweeds to roll across the room, for example.

I do play EVE Online, and "builds" have special uses because it's PVP. You would, under ZERO circumstances, go brawling in a stealth bomber or move expensive gear around in a Tech 1 transport even in High Sec. Ships have specific, narrow, and highly tuned and balanced functionality, while Frames are meant to stand on their own. You need to be able to fly at least 10+ hull types in Eve to get anything meaningful done, while any free starter Frame with he "usual suspect" Mods will generally be able to handle 99% of the game content.

Edited by DSpite