Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... How About That Melee Buff?

KhanCipher

Because i'm really close to calling melee useless with U9's "Attack of the Bullet Sponges". Yes i know most do 3x/4x against infested, but you forget that runner explosions knock you down, and i know those toxic ancients are anti-social... and yes i do know that you can use melee to travel around levels fast, but that still doesn't change the issue that they're useless outside of those 2 situations, anyways getting that close to an enemy is now more like asking for death to come to your frame.

Talk about yourself.

I'm using a Orthos only with Max pressure point and Max Fury, and i own, even Grineer level 50.

Now, note that Orthos is a Slashing weapon and Grineer are heavily armored and i'm not using Sundering Strike.

Get you Pressure Point high enough, and you will have NOTHING to complain about melee.

Let me remind you, that U8 pressure point at max was 45% melee boost, now it's 120%, so i really don't get your point, either you're using some really bad weapons, or some really bad mod output

Edit: As for infested, they die up to lvl 60 without even thinking about exploding. The only one i don't go close and personal are Fusion Moa and Ancients

Edited by Endrance

Late game melee is just for chuckles for the most part - you'll rely mostly on your guns to keep you safe and really only be engaging in melee in a few situations.

That isn't a problem with mods or anything though. Melee doesn't scale very well into the late game I guess.

Talk about yourself.

I'm using a Orthos only with Max pressure point and Max Fury, and i own, even Grineer level 50.

Now, note that Orthos is a Slashing weapon and Grineer are heavily armored and i'm not using Sundering Strike.

Get you Pressure Point high enough, and you will have NOTHING to complain about melee.

Let me remind you, that U8 pressure point at max was 45% melee boost, now it's 120%, so i really don't get your point, either you're using some really bad weapons, or some really bad mod output

Edit: As for infested, they die up to lvl 60 without even thinking about exploding. The only one i don't go close and personal are Fusion Moa and Ancients

he probably be using unmodded mods and skana xD

Talk about yourself.

this.

Talk about yourself.

Of course Orthos does well against Grineer, it ignores armour, something the Grineer heavily rely on.

It is basically one of the best melees in the game, it ignores armour, does 3x damage to light Infested, has heavy melee damage (slash and charge), fast charge time and high range.

Edited by rCaliberGX

Of course Orthos does well against Grineer, it ignores armour, something the Grineer heavily rely on.

It is basically one of the best melees in the game, it ignores armour, does 3x damage to light Infested, has heavy melee damage (slash and charge), fast charge time and high range.

It only ignores armor if i use charge attack, which i don't.

At least that is the info on wikia and what i "feel" ingame, but i could be wrong, still, Melee has no problems at all. I don't always use Orthos, that's just the current weapons i'm leveling

Edited by Endrance

Wait, what? Pressure Point got a major buff. I'm one-whacking lvl 30+ Grineer in Kappa with an unpotatoed Fragor (Brokk), normal attacks.

Charge attacks got something delicious too with the Rending Strike double mod.

I'm personally using the Fragor with Brokk skin and just loving the heck out of it with the pressure point buff. Running it with Pressure Point, Fury, Northwind, Molten strike, Sundering strike, Rending Strike, Focus Energy. Its a smorgasbord of damage numbers. Sure other weapons may be more efficient but I'm just a fan of its armor ignore on regular hits + how awesome it looks with jump attacks smashing the ground.

Level 10 Kogake is doing work against Lv30 Grineer and T2 Void with North Wind. The charge attack will ragdoll anything, and once it gets back up it can be ragdolled again with the jump attack, plus the regular combo is very fast and ignores armor. It also sends ancients flying halfway across the map because the physics is a bit funky at the moment; half of the time the ancient will get stuck in a wall and spaz out, or I kick them so hard that they just cease to exist.

I basically just run around dropkicking everything in the face and then finishing it off with my shotgun.

So it was mentioned that late-game melee was just for chuckles... Honestly, it could be a vital part of the game if incorporated properly.

Ex.: Boss immune (somehow) to ranged attack? Wha-wha-WHAT?!? 

Just throwin' it out there. :P

So it was mentioned that late-game melee was just for chuckles... Honestly, it could be a vital part of the game if incorporated properly.

Ex.: Boss immune (somehow) to ranged attack? Wha-wha-WHAT?!? 

Just throwin' it out there. :P

That would be damn fantastic. But as a buff, not permanent

That would be damn fantastic. But as a buff, not permanent

Multi-phase boss, like Kril. In the first phase the boss can be shot at, and can use Radial Blast to deter melee. Second phase, it puts up its ballistic shield and you have to beat it to death.

Multi-phase boss, like Kril. In the first phase the boss can be shot at, and can use Radial Blast to deter melee. Second phase, it puts up its ballistic shield and you have to beat it to death.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. :)

For as long as I've been playing, melee has been balanced well super early game, but the farther you get towards endgame, it's effectiveness drops exponentially. It doesn't help that as time has gone by, enemies have been introduced that are either much harder or impossible to fight with melee, while all enemies can be taken down more easily and safely with guns. Talking about Toxic ancients, ospreys, disruptors, and Grineer heavies (no way to avoid their stun to melee them except through power usage). Most bosses are much easier to kill with guns as well, and with the addition of the Raptor, we have our first boss that can't even be touched by melee. Not that I'm really complaining, but it would nice if there were a boss that was difficult to take out with guns as well.

It's effectiveness early to mid-game has always lead to people filling threads like this with statements about killing enemies easily up to level 30 or so (still much more slowly than guns usually) and others pointing out that melee is all but useless in the endgame.

I think the root of the problem is and has always been that guns just outdamage melee weapons while not requiring you to get into as much danger. Mods are part of this. It's nice that pressure point goes up to +120% now, but compare that to serration's +165% and hornet strike's +220%. Guns also have multishot, and there's no melee mod that even approaches how much damage that adds. If melee mods scaled the same way that guns do, it would go a little ways towards solving the problem.

I'm sure additional melee mods are coming too, which also should hopefully help, though the most recent additions are kind of underwhelming, with rending strike and focus energy benefiting charge attacks mainly, which are still better than normal, and melee channel which isn't worth using at all compared to other damage boosting mods (adding a tiny fraction of the others bonus damage over the course of a mission). I'm really hoping for some multishot tier like mods for melee in the future. Something like a mod that boosts normal damage per enemy killed within a certain timeframe, with the damage cap and boost depending on mod level.

Edited by Sealgaire