Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur nerfed to hell

Montiblanc

I think it is a useless nerf. Especially if they weren't going to simply shift some of that utility and power to one of his other abilities to warrant using them more then once a mission.

Kneejerk nerfs are ugly.

This wasn't a kneejerk nerf. It's been acknowledged by most people for at least as long as I've been around that slash dash was overpowered. Slash dash is still a very powerful move, it just doesn't make his ultimate obsolete anymore. It still has the ability to get you out of trouble while killing everything in the way to safety, and that's plenty of utility for 25 energy.

By the way, if you're not regularly super jumping and using radial blind, well I don't like to tell people they're playing wrong... but you're playing wrong. It seems like I skip half the level when playing the new grineer environments when I'm jumping all over the place. And radial blind can act as a poor man's radial javeline in a pinch. Just blind everyone when you're surrounded and turn them into confetti.

Edited by Sealgaire

level 2 rhino charge goes farther than Excal's level 3 Slash dash, level 2 super jump might as well be a normal jump

power range mods and power strength mods don’t work on slash dash

should change description of it being a blanced frame for new players to something like "use this frame for added difficulty!"

First off, you’re in the wrong forum. Bug Forums are over there... Secondly, posting things like this does not help at all. I get that your upset because your Frame seems to have been altered according to you, but that is no reason for a post like this.

As a Tenno that is almost rank 5, having level 4 frames to rank 30 (Excal, Volt, Rhino, Frost) believe I can say that this is not accurate.

What area are you in? What level were the enemies your trying to kill? Where you trying to Dash up stairs or though zergs? What about Mods? On you and the Rhino? Who was Hosting? Was there Lag? Was this a mission you joined in on or started? Did you do side by side comparisons no less then three times? Where are your metrics for this?

Please do some testing, get more accurate feedback, and please post in the right forum. If there is a problem, then we need to inform DE in a manner that makes us respectable and shows our respect for the De-bugging team.

Troubleshoot like a Tenno.

This wasn't a kneejerk nerf. It's been acknowledged by most people for at least as long as I've been around that slash dash was overpowered. Slash dash is still a very powerful move, it just doesn't make his ultimate obsolete anymore. It still has the ability to get you out of trouble while killing everything in the way to safety, and that's plenty of utility for 25 energy.

By the way, if you're not regularly super jumping and using radial blind, well I don't like to tell people they're playing wrong... but you're playing wrong. It seems like I skip half the level when playing the new grineer environments when I'm jumping all over the place. And radial blind can act as a poor man's radial javeline in a pinch. Just blind everyone when you're surrounded and turn them into confetti.

Superjump is only particularly useful in the new tileset. There are only a few locations, like the large elevator hub room, in the Corpus tileset I found it significantly worthwhile to superjump.

It also doesn't hurt for skipping short walks when I'm feeling lazy. But this doesn't really make it any more useful in combat. It just isn't an attack skill. How good it is doesn't matter when you are talking attack skills.

Radial Blind stuns bosses just fine but that doesn't make it something ridiculously amazing. For the same energy I can dash twice and tear two healthy chunks out of the same boss. I suppose I just don't particularly LIKE the skill. Outside of those stubborn bosses I don't feel like I should bother. That energy is better spent elsewhere. If I don't need to superjump or slash dash I might as well just save up for my Radial Javelin.

I think the only boss I find myself blinding every single time are the seriously high health ones like Vay Hek. The ones stubborn enough to be worth the extended stun as opposed to two slash dash.

Superjump is only particularly useful in the new tileset. There are only a few locations, like the large elevator hub room, in the Corpus tileset I found it significantly worthwhile to superjump.

It also doesn't hurt for skipping short walks when I'm feeling lazy. But this doesn't really make it any more useful in combat. It just isn't an attack skill. How good it is doesn't matter when you are talking attack skills.

Radial Blind stuns bosses just fine but that doesn't make it something ridiculously amazing. For the same energy I can dash twice and tear two healthy chunks out of the same boss. I suppose I just don't particularly LIKE the skill. Outside of those stubborn bosses I don't feel like I should bother. That energy is better spent elsewhere. If I don't need to superjump or slash dash I might as well just save up for my Radial Javelin.

I think the only boss I find myself blinding every single time are the seriously high health ones like Vay Hek. The ones stubborn enough to be worth the extended stun as opposed to two slash dash.

Unless your weapons are garbage, you can do many many more times the damage 2 slash dashes are capable of while they're blinded. For the same cost as radial javeline, you can cast two radial blinds in a row and do enough damage to make javeline look like a joke. I'm just talking solo. If teammates are attacking while enemies are blinded, the damage potential is multiplied. That's the strength of radial blind over Loki and Ash's invisibility and Rhino's iron skin.

Edited by Sealgaire

You have a good point on radial blind, never thought of it in that way. Did you max radial blind and then grabbed all the mod slots you could? Or did you max out slash dash and use whatever skills you happened to pick up?

I have all 3 levels of slash dash, which I mainly use as an escape when S#&$ gets too real, 3 levels of super jump, 2 levels radial blind, 10 out of 11 mod slots, and 1 level of radial javeline. Yes I chose super jump over a level of radial blind or javeline, I loves me some absurd jumping ability. 2 levels of radial blind serves me well enough, but it was a tough choice between another level of it and the third super jump. My +75% sprint speed just makes super jump way too much fun to skimp on, though. In the big 2 elevator ship room, I can jump from from one of the bottom elevator levels up to upper central catwalk and mantle up it if I jump at a full sprint.

The butthurt is abundant in this thread.

Slash Dash is honestly the only good move that Excalibur has. Super Jump? Yeah, real combative move. Radial Blind? Inefficient and a waste of energy.

You people don't understand the meaning of "overpowered." You pretty much have to Rave Train enemies to get 'em all in a straight line just to use the damn thing, but look at Volt - he can just run into a clusterfu** and use that AoE crap to take out a large group. If an attack move requires some work just to make it do its job: YES, make it powerful.

Excalibur is meant to use a sword, so for the love of God, why wouldn't you let him have a POWERFUL SWORD ATTACK?

Yeah only slash dash is any good but slash dash is probably the best ability in the entire game. Ive noticed since the update that some things that i could one shot with it now require two, but honestly slash dash through one pack enemies and you get millions of blue orbs. Its very rare for me to run out of energy as excal and i slash dash every chance i get.

Its mobility, damage, escape, everything you need all in one skill for only 25 energy. Every other frame ive tried pales in comparison.

The butthurt is abundant in this thread.

Slash Dash is honestly the only good move that Excalibur has. Super Jump? Yeah, real combative move. Radial Blind? Inefficient and a waste of energy.

Super jump is indeed effective in combat if want to rely on melee. It's saved my life plenty of times when I had to reach a group of enemies above me and going the long way would have exposed me to too much fire. In allowing you to reah enemies more quickly, it also allows you to kill them more quickly. It's definitely more useful on the newer maps, but there's plenty of utility for it on the old ones too.

Read my post 3 above yours to discover how very wrong you are about radial blind.

Super jump is indeed effective in combat if want to rely on melee. It's saved my life plenty of times when I had to reach a group of enemies above me and going the long way would have exposed me to too much fire. In allowing you to reah enemies more quickly, it also allows you to kill them more quickly. It's definitely more useful on the newer maps, but there's plenty of utility for it on the old ones too.

Read my post 3 above yours to discover how very wrong you are about radial blind.

Its glitchy nonsense is a pile of feces.

I have all 3 levels of slash dash, which I mainly use as an escape when S#&$ gets too real, 3 levels of super jump, 2 levels radial blind, 10 out of 11 mod slots, and 1 level of radial javeline. Yes I chose super jump over a level of radial blind or javeline, I loves me some absurd jumping ability. 2 levels of radial blind serves me well enough, but it was a tough choice between another level of it and the third super jump. My +75% sprint speed just makes super jump way too much fun to skimp on, though. In the big 2 elevator ship room, I can jump from from one of the bottom elevator levels up to upper central catwalk and mantle up it if I jump at a full sprint.

Interesting build, I was able to get 3 Slash Dash, 3 Radial Blind, 3 Super Jump, 1 Radial Jav and 10 mod slots out of the 11. So you can tighten up that build just a tad. You can sacrifce just a single health node (I'm assuming that's where your stray point went) to get the extra Radial Blind, which I think is worth it.

I'm getting close to being able to build a proper melee frame, been farming Xini quite a bit so. I'm just missing out on some of those epic dual stat mods you guys used to get. I have been seeing a few dual stat mods pop up just nothing great yet. Ever since I read a post of yours when I first started playing, it pretty much fit the same gameplay style I was looking for. You seem to be having success with the style in this game, So I'm excited to give it a go myself.

I would appreciate some sort of tips on what mod setups you have had success with. What do your mods look like in the current patch? Is that 75% Sprint speed on a single mod? Are you sacrificing armor completely?

Edited by Jadus

Radial Blind Superjump are ridiculously impractical skills right now.

Not at all.

Superjump is massively useful, even in the small rooms. There are dozens of times per level when an enmy hides behind cover on an higher level and the quickest way up is to SJ to them and kill them, rather than run around to use the stairs, or wait for them to pop out, and this is just one example.

It's a great skill... IF it's fully powered. Could scale better being the only flaw.

And Radial Blind is excellent. It's a great panic button and a cheap version of Javelin. It's also very sueful against bosses with high damage output.

Edited by Zakalwe

Interesting build, I was able to get 3 Slash Dash, 3 Radial Blind, 3 Super Jump, 1 Radial Jav and 10 mod slots out of the 11. So you can tighten up that build just a tad. You can sacrifce just a single health node (I'm assuming that's where your stray point went) to get the extra Radial Blind, which I think is worth it.

I'm getting close to being able to build a proper melee frame, been farming Xini quite a bit so. I'm just missing out on some of those epic dual stat mods you guys used to get. I have been seeing a few dual stat mods pop up just nothing great yet. Ever since I read a post of yours when I first started playing, it pretty much fit the same gameplay style I was looking for. You seem to be having success with the style in this game, So I'm excited to give it a go myself.

I would appreciate some sort of tips on what mod setups you have had success with. What do your mods look like in the current patch? Is that 75% Sprint speed on a single mod? Are you sacrificing armor completely?

Sorry, I missed your post yesterday. I was going to respond via PM, but this thread seems to have run it's course anyway, and other people might be interested I guess.

My extra point was actually in a power max node, but since I run around with plenty of energy usually, I probably could get away with 175 and put another level in radial blind. Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually found a surprising number of my really good mods after the the drop tables were nerfed, so don't give up hope on that front. As far as what I'm running now, here's a list and the reasons I use them if it isn't obvious. Not all my mods have the absolute maximum value, but none are lower than a point or two below the cap, so I'll round up for the sake of convenience.

Excalibur

1 +75% melee damage/ +75% shield recharge: Makes it so I dont have much downtime between hit and run attacks.

2 +75% melee damage/ +50 shields

1 +75% melee damage/ +40% armor

1 +75% melee damage

1 +100 shields/ +70 armor: I've tried replacing this with something more interesting, but the added survivability is needed when dealing with large groups of ranged enemies.

2 +25% sprint speed: The added speed makes a huge difference when closing with enemies, reducing the amount of fire you take immensely. Plus it allows you to jump (super jump too) and slide much farther, extending the range of your slide attack a lot.

1 +25% sprint speed/ +30% power efficiency : Same as above, but with an added perk. One of my favorite mods.

1 +50% power damage: So I can kill any non elite mob in the game with one slash dash.

Heat sword: The base damage and speed are high, so damage and attack rate mods scale well with it.

1 +35% fire rate: Any more than this and the one below and a bug occurs where you occasionally start a charge attack instead of a standard one, actually reducing your attack rate. As far as I know it hasn't been fixed.

1 +12% fire rate/ + 20% freeze damage

2 +25% freeze damage: The slowing effect is nice, and I take down shields almost instantly.

3 +25% armor piercing damage: Great for high level Grineer and bosses.

Edited by Sealgaire

Is not fair, that your first warframe (excalibur), would have a skill that is more powerful than a similar skill from a warframe that took a fair week to find and make... So if Slash dash is weaker than rhino charge they only made it fair to player that dont choose excalibur

Thankfully. Radial Blind and Superjump are ridiculously impractical skills right now. Blind is a total waste of energy and Superjump has maybe three worthwhile uses and only when boosted all the way.

Javelin is pretty good but it is worthless whining about a 4 skill being great because ALL of the 4 skills are pretty much overpowering bullshyte with a high mana cost.

Slash Dash is the gimmick skill. Can't see why anyone would consider it a problem.

Rhino's ultimate would like to have a word with you.

I actually found a surprising number of my really good mods after the the drop tables were nerfed, so don't give up hope on that front.

Really? Well that's great to hear, although I'm afraid at the extra motivation this gives me to farm Xini more. haha

At any rate, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to list all of this out and explain it. Those are definitely some killer melee mods! I've got a handfull of them around 50% so I need to keep at it to get the 75%. I have been coming across quite a few people in game that seem concerned with gun dominance in this game. Some of your posts have helped me form an argument for the melee side of the game. It's just hard because I'm not capable of seeing it work yet myself and melee focused players are very rare. I've seen Zetazmanian play with his melee Loki, he also streams on twitch. Outside of you both though, that's all I've seen for melee players. It is the style I really want to go for though so, I'm farming my butt off till I can make it happen.

Really? Well that's great to hear, although I'm afraid at the extra motivation this gives me to farm Xini more. haha

At any rate, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to list all of this out and explain it. Those are definitely some killer melee mods! I've got a handfull of them around 50% so I need to keep at it to get the 75%. I have been coming across quite a few people in game that seem concerned with gun dominance in this game. Some of your posts have helped me form an argument for the melee side of the game. It's just hard because I'm not capable of seeing it work yet myself and melee focused players are very rare. I've seen Zetazmanian play with his melee Loki, he also streams on twitch. Outside of you both though, that's all I've seen for melee players. It is the style I really want to go for though so, I'm farming my butt off till I can make it happen.

Ronyn and t3st are other guys fighting the good fight for melee. Guns are definitely easier at the moment, but with enough sprint speed and killing power, you can be competitive using melee. Once multishot is nerfed (it will be), it will allow melee to catch up even more.

Don't think you need mods anywhere near as crazy as those on my Excalibur to do well with a melee playstyle by the way. That guy is totally out of control and can solo any mission in the game with little difficulty.

Ash and Loki are both great melee platforms as well. When they're invisible they automatically crit, and if they roll a weapon crit in addition to that, it turns into a sort of super crit that can do amazing damage.

Edited by Sealgaire