Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How is Excalibur good solo at mid game?

yankeesullivan

Question

The game is super stingy with energy if you're solo. Excalibur melts too quickly to be able to survive. Even "parkouring around".

So what am I doing wrong? is he just not particularly viable on solo star chart runs until I Have prime mods?

I have all of the "surviability" mods near max and equipped. I don't stand still or even just run around. I jump, slide, roll and bullet time and he on Neptune missions he just seems to melt. I see all these posts about how wonderful Excal should be at solo, so I don't understand what I'm missing.

If I use my Rhino I'm fine. If I use my Excal on group endless missions I do really frequently topping most categories if I'm surrounded wiht people of a similar mastery level (Mastery 6).

I've tried with both a Hek and Soma, both potatoed. He's also potatoed with one forma.  I just don't get it.

Edited by yankeesullivan

18 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Markerlight said:

Build for duration and range, use radial blind. Easy mode game. 

This. Radial Blind+melee finisher is very very strong for star chart enemies. Also use cover. You can shoot from a safe spot around corners when you're not blinding people. Use H to change camera sides to peek left around corners.

3 minutes ago, yankeesullivan said:

but the game never gives me enough energy for doing radial blind more than once, and thats with a maxed streamline. Once again am I missing something?

Open lockers and crates, they drop 50 energy sometimes. You can also build energy restores, but that'll cost you resources.

Edited by AXCrusnik

1 minute ago, yankeesullivan said:

but the game never gives me enough energy for doing radial blind more than once, and thats with a maxed streamline. Once again am I missing something?

Fleeting expertise along with streamline most likely.

You need +75% energy efficiency, not +25-30. And flow/primed flow.

Survivability mods are pretty useless unless it's quick thinking anyway, pick one depending on the faction and save space fro more useful mods like mentioned above.

5 minutes ago, yankeesullivan said:

Passive from Focus or well, *coughs* equipment, we do ahve energy paltes you know, not cost much and no cooldown to place them down. Why do people always act such nnot exists and tehy have ot relay only on the frame or there weapon. It's peoples own fault not using what the game gives them to work with.

When I say Naramon I mean the focus tree. My build is Rush, Primed Continuity, Primed Flow, Vitality, Stretch, Steel Fiber, Streamline, Transient Fortitude and Energy Conversion. The Aura slot doesn't matter too much IMO. Hope this helps!

Don't build for strength or range, if you have them equipped. Don't go negative strength or range either though. Throw on Rage if you have it or can afford it, real easy way to gain energy and be able to keep EB+blind up. EB only has an initial cost of 25 energy and 5e/s, it auto blocks any frontal attacks if you're attacking and reduces incoming damage by 60%. Radial blind with streamline is only 35 energy and blinds all enemies in LOS for 15 base duration and 25 base range. If enemies are blinded, they take 8x more damage from the waves of EB and you can deal finisher damage to them (ignore armor on bombards, gunners, and napalms). Also, blinded enemies can't really shoot you either. With a base rank life strike on your melee, you can also self-heal very easily. If you want, PM me in game, I think I have an extra rage, flow, and life strike (tgkazein).

TL;DR - use a build like: Vitality, Steel Fiber, Rage, Streamline, Continuity, and anything else that doesn't give you negative stats (Flow being also another good one)

Edited by TGKazein

Excalibur - as well as every other frame in the game is 100% solo play viable.

What  you are doing wrong is that you seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding of how builds work.  You should not be building specifically for survivability; every frame has strengths and weaknesses.  Your mods should reflect those strengths and the abilities that a frame comes with.  The mods you use should enhance and support the strengths that are already present, not be used as bandaids to slap onto weaknesses.

For example, let's take a look at a few of Excalibur's stats:

EXCALIBUR (UNMODDED, RANK 30)

Armor: 225

Health: 300

Shield: 300

Right now, we're looking at survivability stats alone; nothing else.  If what you wanted to do was improve his survivability (from a statistical view alone, not taking any consideration into playstyle and how various strategies may improve your game experience), what would you do?

If you said, "Put on a Steel Fiber or Armored Agility", you are incorrect.

It would be much more efficient to use, say, a Vitality, or Redirection.  In this case, I would prefer Redirection and enhance his shields, as those recharge over time.  Health does not (without the aid of outside supports or auras).

But wait!

There's a lot more to how a frame plays than just how many hits they can take.  Realistically, in Warframe no one really "tanks" in the sense that you would in any other game; nope! Not even Rhino.  The objective of Warframe is not to stand in place and soak up damage.  You are mobile.  You are a space ninja. Use your mobility.  Focus your builds on enhancing the skills of your frames more than focusing on how many bullets you can convince them to soak up.

Excalibur has great survivability.  Have  you ever used blind?  If you're in a tight spot; use it.  You can also pretty easily with early game mods, mod him for Exalted Blade (his fourth ability).  With a little farming and a basic understanding of how the modding system works, you can more or less keep your exalted blade out more or less permanently, provided you are making kills and finding energy orbs now and then.  This helps your survivability, especially in early game, because everything dies.

Warframe is not like other MMOS. It is fast paced, and no matter what your build is, if you stand around, you are going to die.  You can solo any mission with any frame once you understand how to play upon their strengths and maximize them efficiently.  

14 hours ago, Marine027 said:

Passive from Focus or well, *coughs* equipment, we do ahve energy paltes you know, not cost much and no cooldown to place them down. Why do people always act such nnot exists and tehy have ot relay only on the frame or there weapon. It's peoples own fault not using what the game gives them to work with.

You'll run out of polymer bundles in no time doing this, even if you're way above mr6.

No one wants to sit in some boring survival to farm those so most people will not drop energy restores in regular missions. Heck, they seldom do it in raids. So don't be ridiculous, suggesting a low mr player to use them and use on Neptune in regular missions is a waste of resources.

7 minutes ago, The-Rural-Cleric said:

When I say Naramon I mean the focus tree. My build is Rush, Primed Continuity, Primed Flow, Vitality, Stretch, Steel Fiber, Streamline, Transient Fortitude and Energy Conversion. The Aura slot doesn't matter too much IMO. Hope this helps!

thanks

7 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

You'll run out of polymer bundles in no time doing this, even if you're way above mr6.

No one wants to sit in some boring a** survival to farm those so most people will not drop energy restores in regular missions. Heck, they seldom do it in raids. So don't be ridiculous, suggesting a low mr player to use them and use on Neptune in regular missions is a waste of resources.

Right, so we just ignore them like everyoye else does, how about we jsut remvoe them out the game then completly, they are not that expensive and he defintily won't use 20 at once or so. It was suggesiton, no need to talk this down, tehy do exist and that for a reason, if people see them as "to expensive" its there problem, but then they should also not complain about everything is to low on energy drops or so, they can be used, end of story. Its called managing your resources you know, finding a balance to use them at least once in awhile and building some, i not said he need to spawn those.

Also, those "boring survivals" is what most cry about like wanting old void back, sure that was fun and not the same at all. Also i not look at the palyers MR everytime to compare something like you apperently do, i simply answered and tried ot give advice.

Edited by Marine027

29 minutes ago, Siraphine said:

Excalibur - as well as every other frame in the game is 100% solo play viable.

What  you are doing wrong is that you seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding of how builds work.  You should not be building specifically for survivability; every frame has strengths and weaknesses.  Your mods should reflect those strengths and the abilities that a frame comes with.  The mods you use should enhance and support the strengths that are already present, not be used as bandaids to slap onto weaknesses.

For example, let's take a look at a few of Excalibur's stats:

EXCALIBUR (UNMODDED, RANK 30)

Armor: 225

Health: 300

Shield: 300

Right now, we're looking at survivability stats alone; nothing else.  If what you wanted to do was improve his survivability (from a statistical view alone, not taking any consideration into playstyle and how various strategies may improve your game experience), what would you do?

If you said, "Put on a Steel Fiber or Armored Agility", you are incorrect.

It would be much more efficient to use, say, a Vitality, or Redirection.  In this case, I would prefer Redirection and enhance his shields, as those recharge over time.  Health does not (without the aid of outside supports or auras).

But wait!

There's a lot more to how a frame plays than just how many hits they can take.  Realistically, in Warframe no one really "tanks" in the sense that you would in any other game; nope! Not even Rhino.  The objective of Warframe is not to stand in place and soak up damage.  You are mobile.  You are a space ninja. Use your mobility.  Focus your builds on enhancing the skills of your frames more than focusing on how many bullets you can convince them to soak up.

Excalibur has great survivability.  Have  you ever used blind?  If you're in a tight spot; use it.  You can also pretty easily with early game mods, mod him for Exalted Blade (his fourth ability).  With a little farming and a basic understanding of how the modding system works, you can more or less keep your exalted blade out more or less permanently, provided you are making kills and finding energy orbs now and then.  This helps your survivability, especially in early game, because everything dies.

Warframe is not like other MMOS. It is fast paced, and no matter what your build is, if you stand around, you are going to die.  You can solo any mission with any frame once you understand how to play upon their strengths and maximize them efficiently.  

That's some dedication to the cause. You have my respect.

32 minutes ago, TGKazein said:

Don't build for strength or range, if you have them equipped. Don't go negative strength or range either though. Throw on Rage if you have it or can afford it, real easy way to gain energy and be able to keep EB+blind up. EB only has an initial cost of 25 energy and 5e/s, it auto blocks any frontal attacks if you're attacking and reduces incoming damage by 60%. Radial blind with streamline is only 35 energy and blinds all enemies in LOS for 15 base duration and 25 base range. If enemies are blinded, they take 8x more damage from the waves of EB and you can deal finisher damage to them (ignore armor on bombards, gunners, and napalms). Also, blinded enemies can't really shoot you either. With a base rank life strike on your melee, you can also self-heal very easily. If you want, PM me in game, I think I have an extra rage, flow, and life strike (tgkazein).

TL;DR - use a build like: Vitality, Steel Fiber, Rage, Streamline, Continuity, and anything else that doesn't give you negative stats (Flow being also another good one)

Thanks for the offer!@ I'll probablyj ust farm them now that I kno what I need, makes it so much sweeter when I actually get them ;)

Right, so we just ignore them like everyoye else does, how about we jsut remvoe them out the game then completly, they are not that expensive

Yes they are expensive. Solely because of polymer bundles. It's a resource that is used in many researches and stuff and most people have under 250-300 k of it after year(s) of playing. It's not much and it will dissapear quickly if you won't be careful.

You use them when you really need to, not on Neptune's regular mision. It makes sense to use it in raids, sorties, endless missions, long farming, when your teammates dead/dying or someone went afk in a team based mission like defense, when you were hit hard by leeches and need energy back asap and such. You don't just throw them like candies at mr6 because you don't know yet how to mod frames for max efficiency and max energy capacity, you will run out of resources in not time.

Its called managing your resources

This above is called "managing your resources" - using them when it makes sense/can't be avoided without failing or risking of dying. Not using energy/health/shiled pads because you can't properly mod stuff yet and run out of energy in a second in a 20-30 level mission.

Also i not look at the palyers MR everytime to compare something like you apperently do, i simply answered and tried ot give advice.

Advice like that is useless if you realize that mr6 means someone is as new as it can get. That means person does not have 1 most mods 2 understanding of why he can't do x yet 3 resources

Edited by -Temp0-