Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Jotun - The Glacier / Skater / Tackler 'frame

Azamagon

Some time ago, I had this weird Warframe dream. It was about an Ice-type 'frame that was all about tackling your enemies with an iceshard-filled shouldertackle. The words "ice skater" and "glacier" were words that popped up during the dream: The skating and frictionless speed of an ice skater, combined with the raw force of a colliding glacier. Visually, my dream was blurry, but the warframe looked very big and strong around the shoulders, like an icy version of Atlas, pretty much.

For reference, his silhuette was along these lines (Note: This is just a very rough and quick sketch, which is not anything what I'd actually like him to look like)

w4ciR8G.jpg

Here's an alternative female version:
Ogj4E4r.jpg

(If someone could make some awesome art for this frame, I'd greatly appreciate it! Either way, I'll try to make some better sketches soon)
(EDIT: After some feedback, an idea was to make this Warframe a female, which might be an interesting approach. Especiallly since it then it gives the feeling of being more of a counterpart to Frost (similar to Nezha and Ember))

After that dream, I went up and tried to come up with more ideas for this 'frame, based on the little bits of inspiration I got from the dream. I have some basic ideas, but could need some help thinking of new stuff to add, by brainstorming with you guys.

Here are my basic ideas for him (or her):

Name
Jotun seemed like a decent name for this guy, but not by any means a finalized name. The name is based on the, well, jotun (or jötunn / ettin), the mythological (frost) giants from norse mythology. Seeing as they are big and strong, and often with powerful forces of nature, it seemed quite fitting for what this Warframe does.
EDIT: It was pointed out to me that Jotun is the name of one of Frost's helmets, making it far less likely to be this guy's name...

EDIT: If the female approach is taken, Snow seems like a nice and simple name for this frame. Note that this suggested name also was what inspired the helmet's snowflake design (remember still, I don't consider the designs to be what he/she should need to look like, they are just points of reference to how I saw him in the dream).

Alternative names (for either genders) would be highly appreciated!

Stats
Shields - 200 (600 at rank 30)
Health - 100 (300 at rank 30)
Armor - 300
Energy - 100 (150 at rank 30)
Sprint speed - 1.1

Passive - Hardened Shields
Armor applies to his shields, and damage which usually bypasses shields does not bypass his shields!

Ability 1 - Glacier
15 energy + 2 energy per second

This ability is intended as his signature mobility+damage move (with the mobility sort of similar to Nezha's Fire Walker). It functions like this:

• When activated, he starts creating iceslicks wherever he moves (iceslicks lasting 7/8/9/10 seconds). These iceslicks are a bit wider than Fire Walker's fiery path, slows enemies down, but deals no damage. If an enemy stays on the icy path for a certain duration (3 seconds?), the enemy will get frozen solid for the remainder of the path's duration.
  • If he sprints while Glacier is active, he goes into skating mode. While in skating mode, he can only sprint forward (with a skating animation instead), but he sprints faster while this ability is active, and this speed gets increased the further he sprints (say, starting at 10% bonus, then +1% speed per meter travelled, up to a max of 40%?). Steering during skating mode has a cap on how quickly you can turn, and he gains heavily reduced friction. This speed-momentum and frictionlessness can be halted by moving backwards or deactivating the ability. Further, skating into an enemy staggers them.
  • Pressing melee while skating will instead end the skating (and turn off the ability) with him to doing a powerful shouldertackle, with his upperbody / shoulder widely covered in vicious icy spikes, and is invulnerable during the tackle. The tackling speed (and thus indirectly distance as well) is affected by the movement speed you had when the tackle was activated (More movementspeed = More tacklespeed+distance).
  • Enemies caught by the spikey tackle are pushed along with the tackle (they get ragdolled-impaled onto the icy spikes). He stops the tackle if he reaches a maximum tackling distance or if he collides with the environment.
  • The tackle deals a very high amount of impact + finisher damage, and is amplified by the movementspeed he had when the tackle was activated. Enemies also suffer X% of their max health as finisher damage if the tackle is halted due to colliding with the enviroment, amplified by the speed of the tackle. (So, you should REALLY try to tackle enemies against walls and such)
  • When he finishes the tackle, a small icy explosion occurs (because the shoulder ice shatters). The ice explosion deals puncture + cold damage.
  • All enemies released from the tackle are also ragdolled. Enemies who only get caught by the explosion are simply knocked down.
  • Tackling frozen enemies shatters them, dealing additional AoE cold damage and permanently destroys their ranged weapons, disarming them.

Power Strength affects the damage (everything except the "% of max health"-damage)
Power Range affects the width of the tackle's icy spikes, the width of the iceslicks and the AoE of the ice explosion
Power Duration affects the maximum tackling duration (and thus also distance)

Meant to be his main damaging move, it will deal very powerful damage to those that it hits, especially if he builds up some momentum first and tackles them into something environmental. If the ability still doesn't kill the enemy, it has at least heavily damaged them, knocked them down or ragdolled them, and potentially also disarmed them if they were frozen prior to the tackle.
While the mobility the skating grants is incredibly fast, it does also impede his agility due to the capped turning rate and reduced friction, so the ability needs to be used properly for it to be of great use mobility-wise.

Here's a couple of images of this attack (his skating mode and the tackle) which I also saw in my dream:

GuHjgYU.jpg

Ability 2 - Ice Dome
50 energy. Can be deactivated prematurely.

A shield-based survivability skill, serving as his main defensive ability. While active, several things happen:

• He projects his own shields (as in, his shield-stats!) as a small dome around him (about the same size as Nyx's Absorb), for 10/15/20/25 seconds.
  • This shield-dome also gets greatly hardened by his icy powers, reducing all shield-damage taken by 35/40/45/50%.
  • If he loses all his shields, the dome also disappears. Likewise, if he regains shields, the dome will reappear.
  • Enemies touching the dome gets frozen (refreshed with continuous touching), for 3/4/5/6 seconds

Power Strength affects the damage reduction (capped at 75%)
Power Range affects the size of the dome
Power Duration affects the ability-duration

While this ability mainly acts as a survivability-tool, the fact that it also causes you to touch-freeze enemies means that your Glacier's tackle is guaranteed to deal additional AoE cold damage and disarm them while Ice Dome is active.
The fact that it, simply put, expands his hitbox and that it directly uses his shield-stats for the defense also means that there are times when you might not wanna have the ability active (since stray shots / otherwise missed shots might hit you, wasting your shields unnecessarily). That's the main reason why you can deactivate it prematurely.

Ability 3 - Arctic Pillar
50 energy.

Summons an icy pillar at his aimed location (for 10/12/15/20 seconds?), which has multiple functions:

• The pillar can be climbed upon, has the size of a slightly taller Warframe and is invulnerable (can thus be used as a narrow makeshift shield, in a similar fashion to Atlas' Tectonics).
  • Around the pillar, in a decent radius (10+ meters?), all enemies are gradually slowed down more and more (like, by 20% per second?). If enemies get slowed down to 100%, they will then be frozen solid, keeping them frozen until the pillar no longer slows them down anymore.
  • All allies close to the pillar (same radius as the slowing effect) have X shields restored every second.
  • Recasting the ability or letting the ability expire will cause the pillar to shatter into an icy explosion, dealing puncture and cold damage in the same radius as its slowing radius to simply melt away, along with its aura.
  • This is a onehanded cast, castable while sprinting/skating during Glacier too!
  • Tackling with Glacier will be stopped if you tackle into the pillar, as the pillar counts as an environmental object. This will indeed trigger the powerful collision bonusdamage for Glacier's tackle.

Power Strength affects the slowdown-per-second and amount of shields restored per pulse
Power Range affects the slowing/freezing and shield-restoring radius
Power Duration affects the pillar's duration

The first purpose I had when creating this ability was to give him something to tackle onto, regardless of where he is. Later ideas for it (the slowing/freezing and shieldrestore) also made it serve as a neat CC-ability. The ability to restore shields is particularly nice for himself due to his shieldbased survivability.

Ability 4 - Blizzard
100 energy

Creates a wide and tall wave of cold wind which travels straight forward a nice distance. It travels with about the same speed as Frost's Ice Wave, maybe even a tad slower. As it travels forward, it deals cold damage + cold procs to enemies, pushes the enemies into the centre of the width of the windwall, but does not push them ALONG with the windwall, then it immobilizes them (they can still attack, but cannot move) for X duration. In other words, it gathers enemies up in a line, perfect for your Glacier's tackle (or punchthrough weapons) to easily hit multiple enemies at once!

Power Strength affects the damage
Power Range affects the max width and max travelling distance
Power Duration affects immobilization duration

Intended synergies:

So, a typical full-ability approach could look like this:

1) Set up an Arctic Pillar
2) Right after, cast Blizzard to gather enemies up in a line, aligned towards the Arctic Pillar
3) Make sure your Ice Dome is activated (for survivability and contact-freezing)
4) Start Glacier, gather up some momentum, then tackle the aligned enemies into the Arctic Pillar for absolutely massive damage.

Now of course that's not the only way to go about it, but that was the basic intended synergy of his kit.

Thoughts and opinions?

EDIT:
Older art

gAPNY4Z.jpg

OJp79yd.jpg

Edited by Azamagon
Some more "refined" + female art added!

Just now, Darkvramp said:

we already have a cold based frame de will not consider the idea as a whole but what ideas each ability might bring to other frames

Already having a coldbased frame is completely irrelevant. I mean, look at Nezha and Ember, for example.

I agree with Azamagon. The uniqueness of this kit is enough to set it apart from Frost and, whilst the theme of 'ice' does clash, I don't think that this concept would be put aside for others.

I really like the ability set you've designed! I've always wanted there to be more environment-based damage abilities in Warframe and that sliding tackle sounds like lots of fun. The 4th ability seems to have a lot of utility for the rest of his kit to synergise with like you mentioned, but it doesn't strike me as satisfying. Will you have control of the blizzard, similarly to the new augment for Chroma's Effigy? Or will it have a mind of its own once you set it on course? I can imagine some enemies moving out of place before they are frozen where you want them to be

4 minutes ago, BlazedStorm said:

1) I agree with Azamagon. The uniqueness of this kit is enough to set it apart from Frost and, whilst the theme of 'ice' does clash, I don't think that this concept would be put aside for others.

2) I really like the ability set you've designed!

3) I've always wanted there to be more environment-based damage abilities in Warframe and that sliding tackle sounds like lots of fun.

4) The 4th ability seems to have a lot of utility for the rest of his kit to synergise with like you mentioned, but it doesn't strike me as satisfying. Will you have control of the blizzard, similarly to the new augment for Chroma's Effigy? Or will it have a mind of its own once you set it on course? I can imagine some enemies moving out of place before they are frozen where you want them to be

1) Exactly. Like I said, considering we have Ember and Nezha (both fire frames), having reruns of the same element is fine, as long as their playstyle differs.

2) Thanks! :)

3) Yeah, interacting and adapting to the environment could be vastly improved for Warframe, that's for sure.

4) Ah, it's actually a really simple ability: The blizzard is simply just a huge wall of cold wind which moves straight forward. Kinda like a Tsunami-wave, but instead of water, it's made of cold wind. Then, as enemies are hit by the wall, they are moved to the centre of the wall. You pretty much have a "congaline"-maker, that's all. I might make an illustration for it later. It's always easier to explain it with pictures :P

20 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

4) Ah, it's actually a really simple ability: The blizzard is simply just a huge wall of cold wind which moves straight forward. Kinda like a Tsunami-wave, but instead of water, it's made of cold wind. Then, as enemies are hit by the wall, they are moved to the centre of the wall. You pretty much have a "congaline"-maker, that's all. I might make an illustration for it later. It's always easier to explain it with pictures :P

Ah, I was mistaking it for something more along the lines of a large cloud-walker with a mind of its own! That makes sense now