Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Have Signatures And A Reputation Notifier?

RePaused

Signatures with limited characters and no images would be fine. I also like the idea of showing the amount of rep you have gained.

So +1.

Why?

As someone already said whoever posts the funniest gif on the biggest patch notes wins the rep thing.

It leads to Epeening around, which is terribly bad.

Signatures do nothing but draw attention away from the conversation.

Our name, post count, mastership (foundership) and our avatar picture is enough if not too much.

Why?

As someone already said whoever posts the funniest gif on the biggest patch notes wins the rep thing.

It leads to Epeening around, which is terribly bad.

Signatures do nothing but draw attention away from the conversation.

Our name, post count, mastership (foundership) and our avatar picture is enough if not too much.

man, hate to be in an freakin amish Forum, seriously

Considering they reworked founder badges on the forums so that they could conserve vertical space I highly doubt that either of the things you requested would be implemented mainly because they're unnecessary and everything has been running smoothly without them.

You wrote two lines and look at all the wasted vertical space underneath.

DE could move the function bar up a bit to underneath the reputation button if saving space was their priority.

Edited by Lifeshield

If anything, a custom avatar would be nice. Often times, it's hard to see who's talking to who if you have a thread full of people using a same set of avatars.

Man power would need to be used to regulate. Whether it's pre-approval or instant upload and moderators filter it out when they see it on the forums. The damage would be done already if it's inappropriate for the latter.

It's just way more simple to use premade avatars and less bandwidth.

If anything, a custom avatar would be nice. Often times, it's hard to see who's talking to who if you have a thread full of people using a same set of avatars. 

The solution to that is to quit selling avatars and just give you access to it if you have the frame/helmet combo. But DE won't do that.

I don't really care about sigs, but I don't support having a rep system. I think that would encourage people to increase/decrease a person's points arbitrarily, and that is unfair. For example, if someone disagrees with you, the other person might just decrease your rep even if you're simply trying to make a point that you think deserves attention. Or worse, they decrease/increase your rep based on something even more arbitrary, like liking that you like Ember, or disliking a particular color palette for a frame. Also, something like showing rep would automatically invite some sort of judgement and skew how you view and react to the person's comment. Let what they say in that thread be what they say in that thread. If someone wants to further pass judgement on the person, then they can always go through their history on their profile.

Stuff like showing how many posts you made (like what we have now) is a neutral statistic that implies at most how long/how active the user is on the forums, which I think is alright. 

The reputation counter could be fine, the signatures i think would slow the forum too much... even if i like having one i think i can live without it here.

Another story are the avatars... lol 2 avatars cost more than 2 weapon's slot... they should be ALL FREE. (or 1 pack, 20 plats, get em all)

Edited by Phoenix86

For example, if someone disagrees with you, the other person might just decrease your rep even if you're simply trying to make a point that you think deserves attention.

You cannot decrease reputation anymore. That function was removed long ago and will likely never return.

On the contrary, showing the amount of posts you have made is similar. How many of those posts were actually useful posts and not gif spam posts are two entirely different things. It serves no more of a better or worse purpose than showing how much reputation you have earned.

Normally reputation isn't abused when it's a plus only mechanic. That's not to say it isn't ever abused, but in general if a member has a high amount of reputation then in general they are a user that has an overall good standing within the community.

Edited by Lifeshield

IPB by default has an option to disable showing of signatures per user. So if 123Olympian (who just happens to be in view  as I type this up :P) has one of them fubar signatures used by people who are as pathetic as they think they are cool, you can just click "hide" and it will forever hide his signature.

Having said that.. Signatures, if enabled, should not support any line-breaks, bbcode, links, images or other crap. A single line of text, max 100 characters, should do fine to e-peen all you want.

I agree with many others on having text-only forum signatures with a small character limit. I really hate HTML and bbcode signatures and the stupid meme pictures which inevitably end up there.

As for the reputation counter idea? I'm not sure I see the point. Why would anyone else but you care how much "reputation" you have?