Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennogen limited on consoles?

(XBOX)Oathtaker

Question

So will there ever be a time when the tennogen wont be limited on consoles?
I understand that there's a bunch of legal loopholes to jump through and whatnot but i'm sure there's some kind of happy compromise out there that'll allow all the awesome and neat creations to come to consoles fluidly.
I dont see why they dont just keep the monetary value on the tennogen items, both consoles have their own respective wallets. All they'd have to do is give the appropriate cuts to the appropriate people. I mean, the only downside is maybe one of the pieces of pie wont be as big as the others but the amount of extra sales would more than make up for it.

5 answers to this question

Not as easy as you think. Especially not on items that were made available through another contract with valve.

Console tennogen does not work the same as PC. On PC you may for the items and then valve will take a cut, will give a cut to the creator, and give a cut to DE. The consoles dont do cuts, they just dont. So DE pays the tennogen creators a cut of the expected sales value up front (and probably a cut to valve though this was never confirmed). This is not in place for the old items, though my guess is that these are under a different contract with valve. And so you would either need to go to the tasks of editing these or create or make the old ones invalid and make them work under a new contract. But its valve, so of course that has got to be way harder then it sounds.

6 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Oathtaker said:

i'm sure there's some kind of happy compromise out there that'll allow all the awesome and neat creations to come to consoles fluidly.

If there was, it would have already happened.

6 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Oathtaker said:

I dont see why they dont just keep the monetary value on the tennogen items, both consoles have their own respective wallets.

Those markets, and the payments that go through them, belong to and are controlled by the owners of those platforms. It's not that simple.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)Oathtaker said:

I dont see why they dont just keep the monetary value on the tennogen items, both consoles have their own respective wallets.

Those legal hoops you mentioned involve Steam.  Steam is not on consoles.  They are contractually obligated to pay a cut of the profit to steam for using them as a way to upload prospective creations via the steam tennogen workshop.  It is also where the official votes for the new items happen.

All this happens via steam, therefore, no steam no direct access to tennogen.  Complain to Steam, Sony and Microsoft until they get together and form a symbiotic relationship.

Or wait until DE gets away from Steam's clutches.  Until then expect limits and enjoy being able to get tennogen items basically for free since you can get plat in game by trading and can buy tennogen with plat.  PC users don't have this option.

It is a tradeoff.  It may not seem fair to one party or the other but that's what we have.