Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not grabbing edges?

-ZeroStar-

Question

So, I've recently returned, stopped playing back in 2013.  Back when ol' coptering was how you got around.  Whenever you ran up a wall, you'd grab the edge and do a front flip up, to get up.  Now, I'm CONSTANTLY stuck infinitely jumping up and not grabbing any edges and EVERYTHING seems to have lip on it that I get stuck on.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there an option I missed or something?  I NEVER got stuck when I used to play, not it's nearly every wall has a lip at the top that prevents you from climbing... I just don't understand why this happens in a game where you're supposed to be actively climbing walls.  I mean, I see it as you either NEED to be able to grab the ledges or get rid of them entirely if their only purpose is to make the game frustratingly difficult for NO REASON...  Because, IMO, this is a game-breaking bug.  The game is 50%, if not more, running, sliding, jumping, climbing, etc.  And our space ninjas can't conquer a lip?  Like really?

Same with the run 'toggle'.  I should be able to toggle it on, forever, or off, forever.  Not until my next action.

P.S. I SEVERELY miss the old wall RUNNING, not wall 'hopping'!

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, KidPunkStar101 said:

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there an option I missed or something?

Unfortunately, the answer to both of these questions is "No". Grabbing edges and flipping over them got dropped in Parkour 2.0, because who needs this when you can just bulletjump around, right? /s

I'd really like to see it make a comeback, too. And yes, those lips everywhere that prevent you from getting out of a shaft while all-hopping are truly annoying. I'd understand if they used those to limit level verticality, but it really shouldn't be a thing in ventilation ducts that we are supposed to use.

@KidPunkStar101

Let me start by clarifying something. The reason why you get stuck on things has nothing to do with the parkour system. You get stuck on things because DE doesn't always polish object collision on their maps as well as we'd like them to. When you get stuck on something it's because the collision box on that object doesn't match what the object looks like. The old parkour system suffered from this same issue, even though you may not remember.

That being said, the ledge grabbing move didn't really go anywhere. It still happens if you jump toward a box or wall and don't quite make it to the top. As long as you're holding forward towards the object your warframe will climb (assuming the collision for that object is on point). However, the new parkour system has pretty much made climbing walls obsolete. You don't really climb anymore. You jump over stuff instead.

So what the heck is wall hopping good for? Well, mostly for making midair adjustments to the trajectory of your bullet jump or to allow you to use walls to stay airborne indefinitely, thus granting you evasion. If you want tips or have other questions I'm willing to help. But know that the new parkour system has a learning curve and that it requires more practice then the old one.

2 hours ago, Amazerath said:

When you get stuck on something it's because the collision box on that object doesn't match what the object looks like.

That's not entirely true. You can see the lips on the ends of ventilation shafts (e.g. in Corpus rescue tiles). The problem is that with the Parkour 2.0, this tiny (less than 5cm in real life) lip is enough to stop your frame from jumping any higher. The system itself is fundamentally flawed.

1 hour ago, Bibliothekar said:

That's not entirely true. You can see the lips on the ends of ventilation shafts (e.g. in Corpus rescue tiles). The problem is that with the Parkour 2.0, this tiny (less than 5cm in real life) lip is enough to stop your frame from jumping any higher. The system itself is fundamentally flawed.

Again, that has nothing to do with the parkour system. The 3D objects you see have no collision on them. There's an entirely separate layer built on top of the 3D models which determines collision. And there's even another entirely separate collision layer which is just for projectiles. [DE]Steve showed and explained all of this in one of his streams months ago.

The tiny lip you're talking about blocks your movement because it exists in the collision layer, not because you can see it as a 3D object. If someone from DE opens that map on the editor, they can look for that specific ventilation shaft and fix the problem by editing the collision box on that object.

So if you care about this and want to see it fixed then the best thing you can do is to take screenshots/videos of rooms and objects that have wonky collision and post a bug report thread. Just keep in mind the map design team is small and they usually give priority to making new maps instead of fixing older ones. But if you really care, then bug reports are the way to go.

Warframes are supposed to be capsule or pill shaped in dealing with this collision meaning we should be able to slide off smaller object but this is not the case majority of the time. So there's certainly collision problems. It sounds like OP is having trouble with collision detection based on position to trigger an animation or similar parkour effect.

Parkour 2.0 did not come without it's price but you'll get used to it, mostly. If anything the ability to dodge roll is worth it. Adds a good bit of skill to combat.

#AlwaysRunOption    -Est 2013

On 22.7.2017 at 10:45 PM, Amazerath said:

The tiny lip you're talking about blocks your movement because it exists in the collision layer, not because you can see it as a 3D object.

Honestly, I don't flipping care why it happens. It happens, it's bloody annoying and that it's still there this long after we got Parkour 2.0 only makes you wonder if anyone at DE plays their game yet again.

/e: Also, you said the problem is that the collision box doesn't match the visuals. I'm saying that the exact opposite is the problem here. We get stuck on those things because the collision box matches the visuals. If the lip didn't have a collision box, it'd be flush with the wall underneath and we could skip past it. But it's because they decided that we'd get stuck on stuff like that when designing Parkour 2.0 that we're having this discussion in the first place.

And meanwhile, I can casually walk onto and over consoles that are 2/3 as high as me like it's no big deal.

Edited by Bibliothekar

4 hours ago, Bibliothekar said:

Honestly, I don't flipping care why it happens. It happens, it's bloody annoying and that it's still there this long after we got Parkour 2.0 only makes you wonder if anyone at DE plays their game yet again.

[...]

My friend, please understand that complaining about that on a Players Helping Players thread isn't going to help. I explained what causes the problem because understanding a problem improves the quality of the feedback you provide. It increases your chances of being heard. However, if you don't care about any of that then there is nothing else I can do for you.

On 24.7.2017 at 3:36 PM, Amazerath said:

My friend, please understand that complaining about that on a Players Helping Players thread isn't going to help.

Eh? See, there's another thing that really annoys me about the forums. Some mod just moved this thread from Feedback to PhP but can't be a**ed to leave a note.