The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo Is Now Dull , And Not Rewarding Enough . Get A Squad For A Far More Easy Game.

Parias-Ilota

Ahh.

Alright, fair enough.

I'm more concerned about the hardcores insisting that the Newbie Experience be akin to having your teeth pulled without anesthesia.

Newbies need a good gentle curve climb up to the more challenging stuff. Right now, it is a small curve and then a huge leap up a cliff.

Right now, the game starts you off on Mercury where things are so-so. Get to Tolstoj and if Tolstoj is Cryo and you're not Mag then it is "OMG HOW DO YOU DO THIS!?" if you're some Excalibur or Loki with <80 shields in a Lv6-8 area trying to kill your first boss.

Should you fail at that a few times but finally get through him, you go to Venus, and you have a so-so time in there, then you get to Earth and the very first mission throws Napalms at you -- guys who hit you through walls who have unavoidable attacks. Get close to one, WHAM, down you go and you are likely dead (because you're still quite squishy by then).

About halfway through Earth and you're going "....wtf is with this...." when you are still using the same guns you started with (depends on whether or not you did a lot of wiki homework and discovered the Orthos is build-able with Mercury/Venus resources), because the materials you need for anything else are all past Earth.

and after going "... wut fuk..." you decide to quit and maybe come back when you get some buddies in the game... or do like me, and farm the first missions a couple of thousand times, hoping to get good mods and S#&amp;&#036;. but i started playing right after U7 came out, and the beginning was a bit easier then, than it is now...

The problem here is that while it is co-op game, it has no enemy variation. I'd like to see something a bit different than "you take the 100 guys on the left, and I'll take the 100 on the right." That is the definition of "fake challenge". I'd like to see the snipers as actual snipers, heavies as the occasional support unit and other mooks that vary between different traits/skills/approach to encounter. Not just a garbled mass of 27 heavy gunners and 9156852347 not heavy mooks.

Why do you people defend fake challenge? Wouldn't you rather out-smart or out-maneuver your opponents, then just out-last or out-gun them? Why does it bring you so much joy, to not overload your think-pan too much and stick to a simpleton level of thinking!? "Urgh. Guy appear! Shoot! 5 more guy appear! Run and shoot!"

And before any of you go burying me in a sea of spiteful, and stupid comments, let me tell you, that I welcome challenge. I do not fear to try a nightmare mode boss run, even if I know that I'll fail, and I try to do everything solo at first, because it is more challenging than group runs. But it is horribly unbalanced against a soloer. what I want to see is quality (and variation) over quantity.

End of rant.

Honestly, I feel as though I'm playing Halo: CE more and more with U9. 

The parkour moves are kinda useless now for anything else other than evading boss attacks, getting rid of stuff stuck on you, and getting around the map quickly.

While I don't support the idea of someone being able to melee a heavy and being able to get away with it (Except Rhino thanks to iron skin), I feel that U9 has turned warframe into a game of box camping, solo-rushing high level missions without killing stuff (because you don't have enough ammo), and basically parkour has become a tool to slide between cover.

Where has player empowerment gone in all this without having absurdly good mods? 

It seems like the focus of the game has gone from actually being able to play it with enough skill, to 'do you have the right mods and frame?'.

Just like the difference between Raptor and his mooks. Even if Raptor had a bombing run to discourage box camping, you could still beat him without having ridiculously powered up mods, because you can dodge his attacks and fight back by remaining mobile. With his mooks, you have no choice other than to press 4 to win, or box camp to avoid being blasted into dust.

I don't know about you gentlemen, but I would rather warframe be like fighting Raptor. Not like fighting his mooks.

and after going "... wut fuk..." you decide to quit and maybe come back when you get some buddies in the game... or do like me, and farm the first missions a couple of thousand times, hoping to get good mods and S#&$. but i started playing right after U7 came out, and the beginning was a bit easier then, than it is now...

Not everybody feels like banging their head against a wall and farming the first mission "a couple thousand times".

People want an even progression curve, not a "do the first several missions for hours before you can move on".

What is this supposed to be, an NES/SNES J-RPG where you boot up the game and first thing you have to grind outside the first town for 5+ hours before you can survive the first dungeon?

I wasn't aware that this was DQ1Frame.

Edited by Xylia

Ahh.

Alright, fair enough.

I'm more concerned about the hardcores insisting that the Newbie Experience be akin to having your teeth pulled without anesthesia.

Newbies need a good gentle curve climb up to the more challenging stuff. Right now, it is a small curve and then a huge leap up a cliff.

Right now, the game starts you off on Mercury where things are so-so. Get to Tolstoj and if Tolstoj is Cryo and you're not Mag then it is "OMG HOW DO YOU DO THIS!?" if you're some Excalibur or Loki with <80 shields in a Lv6-8 area trying to kill your first boss.

Should you fail at that a few times but finally get through him, you go to Venus, and you have a so-so time in there, then you get to Earth and the very first mission throws Napalms at you -- guys who hit you through walls who have unavoidable attacks. Get close to one, WHAM, down you go and you are likely dead (because you're still quite squishy by then).

About halfway through Earth and you're going "....wtf is with this...." when you are still using the same guns you started with (depends on whether or not you did a lot of wiki homework and discovered the Orthos is build-able with Mercury/Venus resources), because the materials you need for anything else are all past Earth.

I agree with the idea of new player onboarding could be improved.  It could be more of introducing more weapons at the earlier resource planets or different avenues other than planets to get what a new player needs to move forward.  I am not sure if this is perhaps offering different and earlier access to new player friendly Void missions as that offers a non-linear way to try and get past their obstacles.

Some parts of me think that there should some other sort of recommendations in the game.  Perhaps a game mechanic that can assess your survivability and damage potential in such a way that when you mouse over a orokin point that it tells you that you really need to re-think this decision or that you will will be a god among men.  This could prevent new players from getting into a mission and just get demoralized.

Honestly, I feel as though I'm playing Halo: CE more and more with U9. 

The parkour moves are kinda useless now for anything else other than evading boss attacks, getting rid of stuff stuck on you, and getting around the map quickly.

While I don't support the idea of someone being able to melee a heavy and being able to get away with it (Except Rhino thanks to iron skin), I feel that U9 has turned warframe into a game of box camping, solo-rushing high level missions without killing stuff (because you don't have enough ammo), and basically parkour has become a tool to slide between cover.

Where has player empowerment gone in all this without having absurdly good mods? 

It seems like the focus of the game has gone from actually being able to play it with enough skill, to 'do you have the right mods and frame?'.

Just like the difference between Raptor and his mooks. Even if Raptor had a bombing run to discourage box camping, you could still beat him without having ridiculously powered up mods, because you can dodge his attacks and fight back by remaining mobile. With his mooks, you have no choice other than to press 4 to win, or box camp to avoid being blasted into dust.

I don't know about you gentlemen, but I would rather warframe be like fighting Raptor. Not like fighting his mooks.

Skill? In Warframe?

If, by Skill, you mean "Farm the game for hours for the most awesome mods" or "have awesome RNG to get awesome mods", then maybe.

If you have awesome modded weapons, you plow through Pluto.

If you don't, then you're going to get roflstomped.

There is no "Skill" in any of this.

They made mods just too dang important, where the whole game is centered around them.

Skill? In Warframe?

If, by Skill, you mean "Farm the game for hours for the most awesome mods" or "have awesome RNG to get awesome mods", then maybe.

If you have awesome modded weapons, you plow through Pluto.

If you don't, then you're going to get roflstomped.

There is no "Skill" in any of this.

They made mods just too dang important, where the whole game is centered around them.

Well, they are experimenting with Grineer tiles that do require a player to be able to wall run/jump at least effectively enough to past certain rooms.  This has frustrated newer players that are not as comfortable or have honed their key coordination yet to achieve this.  The obstacle course seems like a good avenue for newer players (who have a clan) to practice this in order to get these skills.  I do not think these "skills" were tested that effectively until latter versions of mastery tests.

I agree with the idea of new player onboarding could be improved.  It could be more of introducing more weapons at the earlier resource planets or different avenues other than planets to get what a new player needs to move forward.  I am not sure if this is perhaps offering different and earlier access to new player friendly Void missions as that offers a non-linear way to try and get past their obstacles.

Some parts of me think that there should some other sort of recommendations in the game.  Perhaps a game mechanic that can assess your survivability and damage potential in such a way that when you mouse over a orokin point that it tells you that you really need to re-think this decision or that you will will be a god among men.  This could prevent new players from getting into a mission and just get demoralized.

U8 had the planets situated in a way that players could make Most weapons on the Marketplace (their BPs I mean) while fighting Level 10-20 content for the most part. Rubedo was the exception, you had to go to Earth (back then it was in the 20s). Saturn, Neptune, Venus, and... I think it was Mars? Were all in the teens levels. This covered just about all the materials you needed for most weapons.

This worked nicely, because it allowed newbies to farm materials and mods at the same time, it allowed newbies to build weapons. Some weapons required things like Neurodes... those were kinda annoying because you had to go to Earth and kill Ruk for those, but then the only weapons back then needing Neurodes that you would have wanted were Bolto/Boltor which were the main Armor Ignore weapons of their time. Armor Ignore weapons are very important for a newbie trying to start Warframe, because enemy armor is just too powerful for most other weapons until you heavily modded them.

Now, in U9... the Cronus and the Orthos are probably the only two weapons you can make between Mercury and Earth.

Well, they are experimenting with Grineer tiles that do require a player to be able to wall run/jump at least effectively enough to past certain rooms.  This has frustrated newer players that are not as comfortable or have honed their key coordination yet to achieve this.  The obstacle course seems like a good avenue for newer players (who have a clan) to practice this in order to get these skills.  I do not think these "skills" were tested that effectively until latter versions of mastery tests.

When I was talking about Skill, I wasn't talking about Parkour.

And those Parkour Rooms fail at actually telling you where you need to Parkour TO. Especially the one with the round platform in the middle with the lockers. There's nothing on the map that tells you that you have to double walljump to get up the upper floors and even then the Waypoints oftentimes gives you the wrong directions (it tells you to go up when the exit is actually on the bottom floor).

No, I'm talking about TACTICS. Right now, you run through hallways and rooms, and shoot anything in your way. Occasionally, duck behind something solid if your shields are getting low. That takes, what, a 5 year old's mentality to learn?

I'm talking Mass Effect 3 type skill, where you need to prevent the enemy from flanking you, and try to flank them at the same time, while making sure no melee guys are sneaking up on you to execute you.

Edited by Xylia

I will say this....All of the "successful" multiplayer games that I've enjoyed have scaling difficulty and drops.  Obviously you're not going to get premium drops running solo, or at least a greatly reduced chance.

However, solo should always be viable.  From a developer standpoint, you want your game to reach as many people as possible.  Eliminating solo greatly reduces the amount of people who will want to play.  And you want as many possible microtransactions to keep your game/studio afloat.  This game is excellent.  It is well made and already has a level of polish that most release games lack.  Minor issues here and there, but it's a beta for a reason.

Definitely make difficulty and loot scale based on player count and mission.  

Not everybody feels like banging their head against a wall and farming the first mission "a couple thousand times".

People want an even progression curve, not a "do the first several missions for hours before you can move on".

What is this supposed to be, an NES/SNES J-RPG where you boot up the game and first thing you have to grind outside the first town for 5+ hours before you can survive the first dungeon?

I wasn't aware that this was DQ1Frame.

that`s my point. i managed to get through that purely because everything was new to me. i didn`t like grinding caloris, or E Prime for the umpteenth time. but as soon as i got out to saturn, it was kinda OK i guess... but now with imposi-waves of 91239234512 mooks in every single wave, that comes towards you, even saturn has become more like a slow drudge through the swamp of mediocrity, than a fast paced blade-to-face wallrun slide-gun spin-fun... i still do love the concept of the game, and i wish it`d do awesome, but this is a big stick in the wheels, imho...

I will say this....All of the "successful" multiplayer games that I've enjoyed have scaling difficulty and drops.  Obviously you're not going to get premium drops running solo, or at least a greatly reduced chance.

However, solo should always be viable.  From a developer standpoint, you want your game to reach as many people as possible.  Eliminating solo greatly reduces the amount of people who will want to play.  And you want as many possible microtransactions to keep your game/studio afloat.  This game is excellent.  It is well made and already has a level of polish that most release games lack.  Minor issues here and there, but it's a beta for a reason.

Definitely make difficulty and loot scale based on player count and mission.  

Successful multiplayer games also have PROGRESSION.

In World of Warcraft, you go do a Level 15 dungeon and you find items relevant for a Level 15 character.

Do a Level 60 dungeon and you find items relevant for a Level 60 character.

In Warframe, do a Level 1 Raid Mission and you find... Rush, Quick Rest, Fast Hands, Quickdraw, Large Health Restore, and Banshee Chassis.

Then go do a Level 30 Raid Mission and you find... Rush, Quick Rest, Fast Hands, Quickdraw, Large Health Restore, and Banshee Chassis.

..........what progression is there, again?

When I was talking about Skill, I wasn't talking about Parkour.

And those Parkour Rooms fail at actually telling you where you need to Parkour TO. Especially the one with the round platform in the middle with the lockers. There's nothing on the map that tells you that you have to double walljump to get up the upper floors and even then the Waypoints oftentimes gives you the wrong directions (it tells you to go up when the exit is actually on the bottom floor).

No, I'm talking about TACTICS. Right now, you run through hallways and rooms, and shoot anything in your way. Occasionally, duck behind something solid if your shields are getting low. That takes, what, a 5 year old's mentality to learn?

I'm talking Mass Effect 3 type skill, where you need to prevent the enemy from flanking you, and try to flank them at the same time, while making sure no melee guys are sneaking up on you to execute you.

The waypoints do need some improvement.  Unless you have done that type of tile room before, you could be running back and forth.

The wall scratches to signify where to wall run/jump is a good indicator, but to a new player that nuance may not be readily understood until they see other players perform the parkour moves in that location.  Even then, they may not make the association unless perhaps in the new tutorial that they expand it to involve more movement training, which I think they may have mentioned in the last livestream.

Using caps for a whole lot of lines makes you seem more authoritative...

So the people who like it how it is must suffer for you?

Suffer?

Suffer?

Like I said earlier in the thread, if you like difficulty, you still have Void 3, and High Wave Defense.

You aren't Suffering when you go to Mercury and being "forced" to face Lv1-8 mobs. Don't like it, don't go to Mercury.

The waypoints do need some improvement.  Unless you have done that type of tile room before, you could be running back and forth.

The wall scratches to signify where to wall run/jump is a good indicator, but to a new player that nuance may not be readily understood until they see other players perform the parkour moves in that location.  Even then, they may not make the association unless perhaps in the new tutorial that they expand it to involve more movement training, which I think they may have mentioned in the last livestream.

I'm familiar with that room, I know exactly where to go but yet I can't figure out which freaking exit the game wants me to take, because of the waypoints being all borked. I basically have to go to Exit #1 and see if the minimap points me to that door. No? Ok, try the other exit... its gotta be one of these!

Meanwhile I have Napalms blasting me through walls, and I have a million seeker balls hanging on me while trying to do this, and my character keeps trying to jump 10 feet off the wall when I'm TRYING to land on those tiny ledges after wall running....

OH, and I finally get to the other exit and it is "LOL SHIP IS ENTERING LOCKDOWN, THE COMPUTER IS IN THE CENTER OF THE PARKOUR ROOM. HAVE FUN!" then I gotta do all that all over again.

Edited by Xylia

In World of Warcraft, you go do a Level 15 dungeon and you find items relevant for a Level 15 character.

In Warframe, do a Level 1 Raid Mission and you find... Rush, Quick Rest, Fast Hands, Quickdraw, Large Health Restore, and Banshee Chassis.

Then go do a Level 30 Raid Mission and you find... Rush, Quick Rest, Fast Hands, Quickdraw, Large Health Restore, and Banshee Chassis.

I see progression in DE's experimentation with Nightmare mode offering Nightmare only mods.

Another progression idea would be the bane mods that are available in the Void missions and less rarely in non-void missions.

I'm familiar with that room, I know exactly where to go but yet I can't figure out which freaking exit the game wants me to take, because of the waypoints being all borked. I basically have to go to Exit #1 and see if the minimap points me to that door. No? Ok, try the other exit... its gotta be one of these!

Meanwhile I have Napalms blasting me through walls, and I have a million seeker balls hanging on me while trying to do this, and my character keeps trying to jump 10 feet off the wall when I'm TRYING to land on those tiny ledges after wall running....

OH, and I finally get to the other exit and it is "LOL SHIP IS ENTERING LOCKDOWN, THE COMPUTER IS IN THE CENTER OF THE PARKOUR ROOM. HAVE FUN!" then I gotta do all that all over again.

I can see this is as an annoying feature and a challenge on the patience of the playerbase.  Part of me understands that waypoints are a necessity due to complexity of randomized tiles.  Another part of me likes that I ahve to figure it out, so I don't totally feel like I am being led by the nose to my objective and at least some reason why I complete a mission is due to my patience or perserverance to overcome lockdowns or missions changes. 

I will concede that I may not be in the majority in appreciating some of these more frustrating features.

I see progression in DE's experimentation with Nightmare mode offering Nightmare only mods.

Another progression idea would be the bane mods that are available in the Void missions and less rarely in non-void missions.

One shouldn't be forced to do Void or Nightmare to have any sense of progression.

Seriously.

Other than materials, what incentives do you have to do anything but High-Level Defense?

The Raid and Capture Missions drop the same crap no matter what level they are and give very close XP. I can get 12k Warframe XP on E Prime on Earth, easy. I can go to a Lv30 mission and get like 6-8k Warframe XP sometimes, and the mods that drop? I've gotten Flow from a wimpy Lv5 grineer on Tolstoj. I've also gotten Pistol Gambits from Level 50-60 mobs.

They need to split the mods up by "awesomeness" OR, how about this? Maybe not all mods need be rank 0.

Kill a Lv60 mob and get a Pistol Gambit? Maybe it is rank 3. Not rank 0.

Get a Flow on Tolstoj? Oh yeah that's Rank 0.

Kill a Lv90 Heavy Gunner in Void 3 and a Serration drops? Wouldn't it be awesome if it were a Rank5-6 Serration instead of Rank0?

We already do this with Fusion Cores: Cores in Mercury are routinely Rank0-Rank1 while Venus to Earth are Rank3s and after that, you start seeing Rank5 occasionally. Why can't other mods do the same?

Edited by Xylia

I haven't made it very far to see the games progression (or lack thereof). 

But this all sounds solid to me, and I agree.

If you need lower level stuff, go farm lower level areas.  No reason at all should you pour tons of hours into a game to reach significantly higher levels, only to find the same garbage you've been finding since Level 1.

Great post, agreed 100%.

Edited by Bakercompany86

Yeah, couldn’t agree more. U9 not only made the enemies a lot harder, but now there is a ton of them. This is not Halo DE! Please make solo a viable option. Sometimes people just want to solo, and we do have a solo option in the menu after all. Why do I still get reamed and overwhelmed by enemies while playing a solo game?

One shouldn't be forced to do Void or Nightmare to have any sense of progression.

Seriously.

Other than materials, what incentives do you have to do anything but High-Level Defense?

The Raid and Capture Missions drop the same crap no matter what level they are and give very close XP. I can get 12k Warframe XP on E Prime on Earth, easy. I can go to a Lv30 mission and get like 6-8k Warframe XP sometimes, and the mods that drop? I've gotten Flow from a wimpy Lv5 grineer on Tolstoj. I've also gotten Pistol Gambits from Level 50-60 mobs.

They need to split the mods up by "awesomeness" OR, how about this? Maybe not all mods need be rank 0.

Kill a Lv60 mob and get a Pistol Gambit? Maybe it is rank 3. Not rank 0.

Get a Flow on Tolstoj? Oh yeah that's Rank 0.

Kill a Lv90 Heavy Gunner in Void 3 and a Serration drops? Wouldn't it be awesome if it were a Rank5-6 Serration instead of Rank0?

We already do this with Fusion Cores: Cores in Mercury are routinely Rank0-Rank1 while Venus to Earth are Rank3s and after that, you start seeing Rank5 occasionally. Why can't other mods do the same?

Can't agree more. There is no sense of loot progression or experience progression on high level missions. You could farm Saturn/Venus/Jupiter for the same mods/exp as Ceres/Europa/Pluto... It gets a little annoying after some time, oftenly I equip my high level warframes to play (solo or not) in high level missions and I do fine, but I do agree that for lower level/casual players this game can be a smashing skull hammer in the eyes... And after U9 I also felt that the game got harder and sometimes unfair, and they really REALLY need to fix napalm... It is annoying to die for a fire that are miles away from you while you try to avoid those damn seekers... Seriously DE fix that damn Napalm...

I think the best solution would be to tailor the Solo mode selection particularly for Solo play.

Having said that, balancing needs to take into consideration how people mod for efficiency and unless the mods are fundamentally changed, devs will have to assume that they need to balance the game out from a certain playstyle (heavy support mods, health/shield/armor).

If you want to have any prestige in Solo play it needs to be hard, if you don't want the prestige of clearing incredibly hard missions you can always stick to the easy missions. This game either needs a difficulty setting or a broader selection of missions. As the game currently is I find it adequately challenging in solo (near impossible at the deeper end of the pool as I prefer) and it is all to easy with a squad, especially one that operates as a team.

Both casual and hardcore need to be appeased. This game is not easy enough for casual players and it isn't hard enough for hardcore players.

I think we just need to give DE some time to fine tune all of this, they need to cater to both demographics. If they shift their focus away from hardcore and over to casuals or solo players I would be severely disappointed.

I absolutely agree that difficulty needs to be adjusted in more varied ways instead of simply increasing the mob flow or health/shield. Their initiative in creating the elites was a nice touch (although it fell a bit short in my opinion) I think we could use a lot more customized and specialized AI units that serve unique functions in dismantling Tenno Squads.

Oh god, this, on all levels. I hate that bloody circular room. In fact, it was in that very room that me and a random got pinned down by HORDES of Grinner, whole story is in my first post in this thread, page 10. I've lost track on how many times we get lost and disoriented in there, jumping back and forth, running along the walls. Meanwhile the Grinner can just jump onto the platform, no problemo. What, do they have springs embedded on those stick-legs of theirs?

(@OP)

If they changed anything regarding solo I hope they would make it specific to the sessions hosted by someone who specifically selected the solo option before starting the mission....

I played Trinity, Banshee, Loki and Nyx so far, Nyx which I would never really agree with being OP, since 1) Trinity is better at soloing and 2) her powers are 2nd rate to any of the 500 frames that simply kill everything with their powers until you actually reach challenging level enemies, in which case she finally finds a strong point-- but most people wuss out when they stop map-wiping so the effective circumstances are even more slim. I try to avoid the 1-button room wipe frames because it's so dull and typical. It's not just Rhino or Nova that can wipe a room and run in circles gathering the energy from all the death to do it again immediately. (Cooldowns please?)

And yes I have a ridiculously powerful weapon loadout-- that I don't use because I rank every weapon I build to 30, completely un-potatoed unless I feel it has a place in one of my load outs. If I had to rely on those weapons it does feel very difficult, but just about every frame besides Loki has powers that can make up for it. (I'm not trying to start a Loki sucks tangent here, but no matter what he does he'll be relying heavily on his weapons for dmg)

If anything I'd hope for a difficulty option on individual locations, or maybe when you select a planet? Idk, but personally the game is so easy I'm losing interest. Adding more enemies doesn't do anything to hinder most frames, that's just more dudes feeding the AoE spam with energy drops.

side note: and wth is with the ammo efficiency on Ogris... most spammable large clip rocket launcher I ever did see.

"OMG MERCURY IS TOO EASY!" .....well, uh, don't go there? There's nothing there a hardcore needs other than maybe Seer. And even then, Seer is just for mastery points anyways, because it is hardly an endgame gun.

If you start saying stuff like this the "hardcores" will start telling you : "OMG SATURN IS SO HARD! .... well, uh, don't go there?"

It's valid for both sides :O