The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Know A Way To Make Raptor An Enjoyable And Beatable Boss Fight.

Hayden11121

1. Missiles fly the same speed if not a TAD bit faster then napalm's missiles, but hone.

2. Missiles only shoot at one target at a time.

3. Missiles expire after a few seconds.

Now we can have people running around while everyone else focus fires it. Then it changes target, your turn to run.

Much easier then trapping him in that room and getting one shot by him, that's not a fun fight...

I can.

I simply switch teleport him into the room.

But that is by using a mechanic that isn't really considered fair. That, or turtling in the hut and taking potshots at him, or using a Frost. This isn't really a good boss fight... it's "Be prepared or die" whereas Lech Kril does a great job, having avoidable yet painful attacks and making them noticeable to see who Kril is aiming at.

PS: I did not say I couldn't beat him. I said I didn't find it fun fighting him. Sometimes I fight Kril just for the hell of it. Raptor should be the same way. Considering this game has no objective, fun fights are all DE can really rely on to keep players in.

Edited by Hayden11121

The homing is ludicrously stupid. It's just really silly to see a rocket that's moving relatively slow (unlike the stereotypical missile) and home in on players while doing turns that would make any drift racer ashamed.

The massive damage is completely fine by me, but the homing should be reworked. If possible, the devs could make it so that it slowly homes in for 2-3 seconds, then shoot forward at a faster speed (1.5-3 times the current speed). With enough speed, the barrage could be avoided.

Either that or change the missile model, because it is seriously stupid to see a slow moving sausage capable of flying in tight circles.

It is possible to defeat this boss rather easily by hiding in that little room or inside a snowglobe, but I totally agree that that makes it pretty lame. It just doesn't feel like a boss if the only viable strategy is "hide." Currently the missiles travel too fast, hit too hard, and have a HUGE splash radius. Two of the three would be fine, it is a boss after all, but even dodging and taking cover will not save you because the explosions are just everywhere!

On a slightly related note, have they fixed the drops yet?

He fires ten homing missiles after every 1/3rd of his HP is depleted, so he only does it twice per run. No reason to nerf something that doesn't see much screentime, and is easily avoidable by hiding inside the provided glass case, bunker, or behind any of the many many crates strewn across the arena.

IMHO the one to nerf is his explosive lasers. There really isn't any set "phase" for you to shoot at him without fearing the splash-damage of those darned lasers. It just turns the fight into "peek and you're dead" Mass Effect.

And the fact that he absoutely craps mines every-frikkin-where.

On a slightly related note, have they fixed the drops yet?

Raptor now drops something everytime. Most times it's just a mod, though. Makes it a lot less disheartening to farm him as you at least get something for the effort.

Also, Putting Loki's decoy on the cliff works to distract it for a few moments, but...

When its health goes below the threshold and started firing the barrages, it is silly how the missiles simply spawn underneath and home in on the nearest player.

It's honestly terrible for me when I see the missile shoot out of the butt instead of the crotch.

Please make it so that the missile shoots forwards first then home in on a target

Or have Raptor face the players before shooting

Or have Raptor shoot the barrage at the decoy first instead of having the missile home in on any existing player that's standing anywhere inside or outside of Raptor's FOV

Its not scripted, and has incredibly shallow AI. A good flying boss that i can recently recall is Bunker from BL2. It has stages. fly by strafe then park and nuke. its not like raptor that just flips back and forth every second with no telegraphing shots other than "wings open, death" which sadly makes the only viable tactic tenno whack-a-mole.

Give it proper stages that makes hiding only one option. Flight paths that keep it moving. Make gun burst periodic multi target or solo, or locked on persistent so people take turns being decoy. Large killer blasts much like the Jackal grenade sneeze could be telegraphed with a laser targeting path.

And the mines that never fade away.  Forget those. Make it drop a faction of the mines, and give them little moa legs like a giant artillery chicken laying explosive chicks. Something that will skitter into your buildings and force people out with large barrel like explosions.

Mines are only a viable boss weapon if the fight itself warranted traveling around the terrain. All it currently does is drop whatever the loot was into a sea of explosives you have to mine sweep with your feet.

Edited by Firetempest

A technique for fighting high firepower units that I learned playing mass effect 3's coop was something called "soft cover". Basically, you place yourself behind cover and as long as your cross hair is past the cover, you can fire on something without taking any dmg because your torso is behind cover. Doing this on Raptor makes him a complete joke. No one should be dying if they do what I mentioned.

He fires ten homing missiles after every 1/3rd of his HP is depleted, so he only does it twice per run. No reason to nerf something that doesn't see much screentime, and is easily avoidable by hiding inside the provided glass case, bunker, or behind any of the many many crates strewn across the arena.

Are you sure he only fires every 1/3 of his health? Because it feel like every time I even peek out of the room all I see is explosions everywhere and I take a ton of damage if not out right die. 

Are you sure he only fires every 1/3 of his health? Because it feel like every time I even peek out of the room all I see is explosions everywhere and I take a ton of damage if not out right die. 

From the wiki:

While it has a moderately strong personal shield, it does not regenerate automatically. Instead, at approximately every 33% of its health, the Raptor will fold up its wings, regenerate its shields and then release a barrage of powerful homing missiles upon re-opening. As each missile deals about 400 damage, it can easily down any player caught off guard.

I can say that that's pretty much confirmed because I only dare to poke my head out to shoot him, or to plant more Teslas AFTER a missile barrage, and his health bar is always down by 1/3rd or 2/3rd.

And I fight him solo, so there's only two sources of damage: Me and my Teslas.

Yep, he spams the proximity mine things (probably what's blowing up all over you), and then switches to rockets when he goes invincible at 2/3 and 1/3 hp (or close enough to those values).

Related:  Mag's bullet attractor negates his proximity mines.  Toss that on him, and you only have to worry about hiding when you hear the missile sounds or before if you notice he's no longer taking damage.

Also, my Saryn's molt takes a huge chunk of the mines if I use her instead, so something like that is another option.  I always fight near that giant rock just outside the door, easy cover to circle around.  Granted my Saryn has something like 1500 total hp, so she can take a few hits without worrying, but I usually don't get hit by more than 1 missile as I dive back to the giant rock.

I beat him fairly easily with rhino... I just used hek and just ducked in and out of the room as need be. And when he shot the missles I just hung out in the room, so long as you have a weapon with some range you're fine... I mean even the hek which is a shotgun could bring him down fairly quickly.