Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm not really looking forward to playing as the operator

Hypernaut1

On 9/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, mstriker said:

Exactly, i would love operators to be viable in their own so people can choose if they want or not to use them

They should approach it like AW in POE. You can use your AW to get from A to B because it is a huge distance, but you CAN walk it. You CAN use volt speed.

If you WANT to fight air to ground with your AW you can, perhaps it will be very very useful in some situations, but if you HATE archwing you can not use it at all, or use it to fly distance but never fight from it.

If you hate Operator.. guess what.. you MUST use it. Make it useful, make it the BEST way to kill eidolons even, but make them kill-able without them.

I'm not really looking forward to playing as the Operator either. I don't really want anything like this, to be honest. I really wanted the focus and Operator mode to work together, not an entirely new system to work on! (I know it won't be completely "new", but I digress.) 

I don't know if I really want changes to the focus system perks because now I know I and every other Warframe player out there build their kits around their Frame, weapons, and Focus benefits. 

I also feel like our Warframes can destroy hordes of enemies, but still struggle with things like simple energy/health regen, weapon swapping speeds, and having to rely on things that seem like extras (Focus, ahem) to get your entire kit to be fully functional. 

I love additional features, but I still believe we need things like passive health/energy regen, a slot for Augment mods (another somewhat tacked-on feature), and  Warframe being about, well... Warframes! 

On 9/16/2017 at 6:37 AM, Hypernaut1 said:

I've built a connection to my Warframes. Switching the focus to operator warrior mode feels like a bait and switch. I'm not sure how I feel about losing my focus abilities for my warframe. I was kind of hoping that the operators would've stayed as an npc.

This is just me prejudging it though. Hopefully PoE will make those operators more endearing.

Hoping they make warrior mode sort of like a smaller type of warframe with 2 abillities you can pick, and a certain type of weapon you can use (like no multiple weapons, only one certain weapon)

• 3 months later...

DISCLAIMER: The following post is an argument solely from a gameplay mechanics perspective. Let's leave issues with the lore and stuff out of this one for now, shall we?

Honestly, I feel like everybody is overgeneralizing when they talk about how there's no reason to use the Operator, or what have you. Honestly, if it weren't for two glaring flaws, I'd welcome the Operator as a great addition to the game that drastically increases the versatility of playstyles available to a player. After all, in theory, Focus trees and amps both allow you to essentially have an entire second loadout in addition to your first one, which you can switch to at will. So, for example, you can go from a tanky DPS frame like Chroma to suddenly being a supporting Vazarin healer with single target versions of the best parts of having a Trinity and a Loki, drawing in bullets with your shield instead of a decoy, stunning with a dash rather than CCing using radial disarm, and healing/immunizing targets with a dash rather than blessing. Just as well, you could go from a machine gun and sword for close-in rushdowns and bullet-spraying charges to a long-range playstyle with AoE void bombs and other crazy stuff, allowing you to effectively respec on the fly.

The only problem is the absolutely obscene grind required in order to make any of this possible, meaning nobody wants to actually go to the effort of leveling up their operator in order to get any of that versatility. Then, instead of trying to fix the grind that was dis-incentivizing people in the first place, they just started tacking on "mandatory operator" segments where you have to use it in order to progress, which of course will only make people bitter since it renders all of their other choices and customizations completely irrelevant.

Even so, though, I think there are plenty of places where Operators are still great to use, like using Void Mode to allow you to still be sneaky on spy sorties without having to sacrifice your obscene armor and survivability to do so, or performing more complex maneuvers like sending your operator out to revive a fallen teammate while leaving a Warframe like, say, Ember, behind and still running World on Fire to defend a point without any input on your part, then letting yourself die to return to your Frame where it was with only a minor loss of HP. Admittedly, that's pretty broken, and should honestly be patched so that losing your Operator has more severe consequences. On the flipside, though, they should allow you to decide whether to bring your Warframe to yourself or to return yourself to your Warframe, since it's already been established in War Within that either is possible. But I digress. In any case, my point still stands - the Operator can do things your Warframe can't, and serves to help round out your playstyle by giving you more ways you can address a given situation.

Overall, I rather like the new options that are opened up by the Transference/Focus system - I just think that the system shouldn't require days and weeks of grinding to actually be used, and CERTAINLY shouldn't be forced on us without correcting that already glaring flaw.