Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Min System Req: 6GB RAM

RorschachRev

I'm defragmenting off the 6000+ file fragments created by patching right now. I ran and hosted 3 runs on Mutalist Alad V Coordinates successfully, decent frame rate (20-28 fps). I have an APU based laptop that I game on (miserably) with 3.5GB of RAM available to the game. The RAM listed "in game" for those Alad V Coords was 800-850MB. Loading PoE for the first time, 1400-1450MB. My frame rate was so low (1 frame every 5 to 10 seconds) I had trouble pointing the camera "at" the plains in order to hold W to enter. I'd skip forward, hang, skip forward, hang, skip forward. 

The new Warframe PoE minimum system requirements should be listed as 6GB of RAM, because more RAM is used by the game than listed "in game." Based on the hdmp crash files, I'd estimate an additional 700-900MB. Since Windows uses "some RAM" to do stuff, and most people (e.g. other people not me) don't shut off windows services like Spooler and Superfetch just to load games, the Minimum System Requirements need to allow overhead. I estimate that 2.5GB is the minimum required just for "the game" itself, which doesn't include things like directx or drivers. 

New Minimum that should be published: 6GB.

If you're stuck on 4GB of RAM, play "Solo" in PoE, use this guide, http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-service-configurations/ and for the love of anything you consider important, defrag. I use Defraggler on specific folders like games that patch with over 6000 fragments, and boot time defrag, I use MyDefrag on the actual disk.

You're still stuck waiting for several minutes as data is swapped to the pagefile.sys for a while. I'm increasing my pagefile.sys to 32GB (up from 8gb) in order to hold the whole game in swap space.

Things that low memory clients need to lower memory requirements, and maybe avoid changing the minimum spec to 6GB:
A Quick Turn In Option. If I could use a kiosk in the entryway to turn in a mission and get new bounties, that would prevent me needing to load a relay. I would pay plat (one time) to avoid (permanently) needing to load the .... *cough* relay. 

Alternatively: make a single player instance of the relay. My load time would still be 2-5 min after a mission, but it wouldn't be 5-15 min any more. Adding in the 3-10min on starting the plains in solo mode... that's 10-30 min to turn in ONE mission, without actually getting to play. I'll repeat, that's 10-30 min LOAD TIME between missions.

If you can't do either, increase the published minimums to 6GB. 

Make sure you tell these people:
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/warframe/11546 Claims 2GB RAM and 1GB disk

https://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/warframe/system-requirements Claims 2GB RAM and 5GB disk

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/System_Requirements Claims 2GB RAM and 20GB disk

https://www.warframe.com/en/faq Claims 2GB RAM and 25GB disk

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4760&game=Warframe Claims 2GB RAM and 5GB disk

There is no bloody way that this game can load on a 2GB RAM system. Solo mode, defense, no other software running, windows xp maybe. But considering that this game takes 2.5GB when loading PoE without anything like DirectX or drivers... no way. No. Way.

1 hour ago, cloud1320 said:

i'm running on really bad toaster with 3GB ddr2 ram and when entering PoE it runs pretty good, just crashes a lot in random moments so i dont think it need so much Ram mate, just some fixes

is your windows 32bit too?  I run the rest of the game fine (Cetus too) but Plains crash on load

Edited by Monolake

Just now, RorschachRev said:

If you have defrag since patch, then I suggest turning graphics settings to minimum temporarily as a test. 

Yeah I run all on low and tried disabling all the effects even lighting (making it unplayably ugly too dark/too bright) still crashed

And I have task manager showing WF eats up over 1700-1900mb trying to load Plains before crashing. And on the rest of the game it could go up to ~1500 easily (ie the Cetus takes about that)

Edited by Monolake

I estimated you'll need 700-1000MB RAM extra to play PoE smoothly. If you don't have over 4GB, then trimming down the system services, disabling everything else, increasing the Pagefile.sys to 16GB+ (in System Properties, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Performance, Advanced, Change, 16384 MB Initial and Maximum) is a good option. You're in the same boat as me, trying to run without enough RAM. Someone said they are able to run on 3GB, which I suspect is a completely different game mode and he has 1GB+ graphics memory for textures. While you're in the System Properties, I recommend going to Visual Effects and setting "Adjust for Best Performance" which removes anti-aliasing on windows fonts and reduces the memory consumption of explorer.exe. 

I posted a link to Black Viper above, this is your best bet for lowering the windows overhead. I also had to remove a bunch of developer tools, which saved 800MB on load and run for some reason. (M$ Azure stuff was the likely culprit in my case.)

2 hours ago, Monolake said:

is your windows 32bit too?  I run the rest of the game fine (Cetus too) but Plains crash on load

Win XP 32 yes(with gtx550ti-1GB), it crashed when loading PoE after getting bounty quest, then it loaded(took like 2-3min) was running pretty smooth but then randomly crashes again and again after 5min of playing, i stoped trying for now coz i dont see any new hotfix. As i can see it happens not only on toasters but on high end machines too.

i hope patience will be golden here xD

1 hour ago, cloud1320 said:

Win XP 32 yes(with gtx550ti-1GB), it crashed when loading PoE after getting bounty quest, then it loaded(took like 2-3min) was running pretty smooth but then randomly crashes again and again after 5min of playing, i stoped trying for now coz i dont see any new hotfix. As i can see it happens not only on toasters but on high end machines too

I bet that your F.TextureDx9.cache and your F.Misc.cache are highly fragmented. Defrag the folder with Defraggler. If that doesn't work (still fragmented files) then you should do a "Free Space" sort, then defrag again. After a free space sort+defrag, increase your pagefile to at least 16GB. If you increase the pagefile while the free space is fragmented, you'll end up with a very fragmented pagefile.

I know this sounds "silly simple" but what I expect is that the drop ships and other events are attempting to be pulled from disk. Loading the textures requires accessing additional files that are compressed. Attempting to load the files, the disk is searching and finding lots of fragments. Eventually the "pull texture and model from disk" operation will time out, and the game will crash.

The typical behavior for a fragmented file is to load the file into memory, (by segments) and then access the file in memory. This allows a virtualization on the block seeking behavior that mimics a non-fragmented file. That doesn't work in this case because the files are 1.1, 2.5, 2.8 and 14.6 GB in size. The result is a very CPU intensive failsafe method, where the logical map corresponds to a physical map, and the disk heads are flying around like crazy instead of just reading the next sector. After that is done, then the data can be unpacked. Without studying their format of 'baked' textures too much, this explanation is potentially slightly off but not by much. (They have packed files, and I think the packed files are the rendered form, not a compressed form the way some engines do it. The result is longer load times, but higher fps in game.)

i hope patience will be golden here xD

I have clients, not patients.

Edited by RorschachRev

2 hours ago, RorschachRev said:

I bet that your F.TextureDx9.cache and your F.Misc.cache are highly fragmented. Defrag the folder with Defraggler. If that doesn't work (still fragmented files) then you should do a "Free Space" sort, then defrag again. After a free space sort+defrag, increase your pagefile to at least 16GB. If you increase the pagefile while the free space is fragmented, you'll end up with a very fragmented pagefile.

I know this sounds "silly simple" but what I expect is that the drop ships and other events are attempting to be pulled from disk. Loading the textures requires accessing additional files that are compressed. Attempting to load the files, the disk is searching and finding lots of fragments. Eventually the "pull texture and model from disk" operation will time out, and the game will crash.

The typical behavior for a fragmented file is to load the file into memory, (by segments) and then access the file in memory. This allows a virtualization on the block seeking behavior that mimics a non-fragmented file. That doesn't work in this case because the files are 1.1, 2.5, 2.8 and 14.6 GB in size. The result is a very CPU intensive failsafe method, where the logical map corresponds to a physical map, and the disk heads are flying around like crazy instead of just reading the next sector. After that is done, then the data can be unpacked. Without studying their format of 'baked' textures too much, this explanation is potentially slightly off but not by much. (They have packed files, and I think the packed files are the rendered form, not a compressed form the way some engines do it. The result is longer load times, but higher fps in game.)

I have clients, not patients.

changed nothing ;)

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, RorschachRev said:

There is no bloody way that this game can load on a 2GB RAM system. Solo mode, defense, no other software running, windows xp maybe. But considering that this game takes 2.5GB when loading PoE without anything like DirectX or drivers... no way. No. Way.

2 GB Win7 x64 reporting here- I can run the game and even the Plains (solo, though, I host migrate every time I have a 7+ second freeze) without crashing, stable 10-15 FPS(all graphics and resolution set to lowest),  though the game still takes 1400+ Mb RAM there. Loading to Cetus takes about 2-5 minutes, Plains take  7-10+ minutes on average, worse with each consecutive run in one session.  The Operation Plague Star wad horrible for me- 1-3 FPS nearly all the time, regardless of enemies present or bounty selected,  easing up once a transmission plays. Support shrugged and blamed the specs, even though I was doing fine when Plains came out. What helped a lot was disabling 64-bit mode, unsure if Dx10 and 11 change anything (had them disabled long ago). 

WinXP X32 users, is the game even playable for you still? I upgraded to Win7 solely because I was constantly out of VRAM every time I attempted to enter a relay, to which Support also shrugged. 

Edited by TheDarkness506