The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why delay things?

Ceadeus

your Title reads "why delay things"
the first question in your OP reads " Why do you even bother to delay updates, DE?"

if this is not the point you're trying to make then you should consider editing your post.

and many of us have pointed out why patches are released with bugs rather than delayed untill they are clean but you refuse to listen to how game development works

52 minutes ago, Ceadeus said:

Did you even read the original post?  Or are you the type to just read titles and assume that's the whole structure of the post?

Yes, I read the original post. And I'm telling you that until a few days before release, there were a whole bunch of absolutely gamebreaking bugs. Software isn't a building, where you get the basic structure nailed down and then everything else is just making it look pretty. Software is a Rube Goldeberg machine with every part affecting every other part, each potentially bringing the entire thing down. It doesn't work like you think it works.

4 hours ago, BaIthazar said:

your Title reads "why delay things"
the first question in your OP reads " Why do you even bother to delay updates, DE?"

if this is not the point you're trying to make then you should consider editing your post.

and many of us have pointed out why patches are released with bugs rather than delayed untill they are clean but you refuse to listen to how game development works

4 hours ago, motorfirebox said:

Yes, I read the original post. And I'm telling you that until a few days before release, there were a whole bunch of absolutely gamebreaking bugs. Software isn't a building, where you get the basic structure nailed down and then everything else is just making it look pretty. Software is a Rube Goldeberg machine with every part affecting every other part, each potentially bringing the entire thing down. It doesn't work like you think it works.

This has absolutely nothing to do with how game development works.  If it did I'd be picking apart why we get content shipped with such glaring bugs to begin with.  You don't get to sit there and go "Well I'm defending them at every turn so clearly that makes me a knowledgeable person on the world of game design and a paragon of the community."  So I'll say this again, I am not telling anyone to release a completely broken mess on purpose, I am saying to not delay something from your projected release date over simple bugfixes and polish unless you can guarantee that it will be flawless by release, as we've seen most of the updates break horribly once they're pushed live and need to be fixed, which draws hate from the community who has already been sitting in anticipation, salted once for the delays, and again twice as hard when the content doesn't work even after the delays.  The reception would be no better or worse as far as quality goes if you shipped with 2 gamebreaking bugs and 10,000 little ones as opposed to 2 gamebreaking bugs and 10 little ones.  Nobody genuinely appreciates the behind the scenes of something until the process is finished, anyone who says they do is a liar.  And I'm not saying that the behind the scenes don't have value, but that we as people are selfish and only care about what affects us at this moment in time.  Nobody plays the game, hits a gamebreaking bug and goes "Well I'm glad they at least fix all those other bugs we never knew about before release."

If you still can't understand my point after this, then don't comment.  You're not getting anywhere, you're just repeating the same things I've already explained and attempting to twist this discussion into something it never was.

Edited by Ceadeus

1 minute ago, Ceadeus said:

unless you can guarantee that it will be flawless by release

except they can't, nobody can

also, I'm not defending DE because it's DE

I'm defending them because I genuinly understand how game development works.
and you clearly don't

6 minutes ago, BaIthazar said:

except they can't, nobody can

also, I'm not defending DE because it's DE

I'm defending them because I genuinly understand how game development works.
and you clearly don't

I already said don't comment if you don't understand.  You're just cherry picking and twisting at this point so I'm not going to bother responding to you.

17 minutes ago, Ceadeus said:

I already said don't comment if you don't understand.  You're just cherry picking and twisting at this point so I'm not going to bother responding to you.

and yet you did..

I do understand,
I understand that you don't know a thing about what you're asking of DE

I think it's so sad that we've gotten to the point where it's so acceptable that all these bugs are in it in the first place.   Basically arguing that it could be worse..

It's a commentary on what we as consumers (and it's a non-argument to say free to play) find acceptable.     Op's probably gonna get what he's suggesting at the rate it's going.   

4 hours ago, Ceadeus said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with how game development works.  If it did I'd be picking apart why we get content shipped with such glaring bugs to begin with.

What... the decision on when a game is stable enough to release has nothing to do with how game development works. Read that sentence a few times. Think about it real, real hard. You are trying to separate things that are not separate. Which is why everybody keeps telling you you're wrong. If you want people to stop telling you're wrong, either stop being wrong or stop responding.