Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blocking

Blackchaosvortex

Right now, blocking is pretty much useless or close to useless in my oppinion.

Do you guys ever find yourself using it? I prefer to go straight into action and go gun blazing or melee everything.

So yeah that said, i would like to see blocking more useful!

The whole bullet deflect idea is good but personally i prefer to block incoming melee attacks of enemies.

It would feel more like blocking that way and also maybe gives a chance for other mechanic such as counter.

A good example of block counter is onimusha or devil may cry.

You just wait for the right time to block an enemies attack and strike when he's open.

This would make blocking a lot more engaging and fun.

There are a lot of thoughts on the subject.

here are some of mine.

1: Make blocking aim towards the crosshairs not where the character happens to be moving.

Warframe uses a shooter style control scheme where our shots and our slashes are all directed where we aim.

As such we are trained to aim toward the enemy while moving in whatever direction is best. Let us keep it all intuative and unify the block to work that same way.

2: Make blocking WAY more effective at actually blocking fire but make it cost MUCH more stamina to do so.

This would make it useful for those who employ and add a big use for slotting stamina mods. Those who slot for it would be more tank-like. They would be characters who can literally block incoming fire for team mates.

Those who don't slot for it would be able to get good use out of when necessary but it would cost too much stamina to rely on often, preventing it from being overpowered.

3: Well timed blocks should "unbalance" attackers who are trying to strike us in melee.

Everything from grineer with machetes to infested with claws would offer up an opportunity to use our timing skills to unbalance them.

Unbalanced is a temporary condition that essentially stuns an enemy and makes them take increased damage from melee attacks.

4: There should be melee weapon mods to slot in that increase the effect of blocking in some way. We currently can increase various offensive aspects of our melee weapons, if someone wants to increase the defensive aspects instead it should be a choice they can make. Moreover some of the choices may bridge the gap between the two-things like "Rejector" that allows a certain percentage of incoming fire to be send back to the enemy.

Or "Geo Guard" that allows a weapons elemental effects to trigger on enemies who try to melee you in a blocked position.

5: A clearer UI indicating how good or bad each weapon is at blocking damage.

When this system was introduced I thought I´ll be able to block gray fox style (MGS), but blocking ended up being useless, a waste of stamina for marginal protection.

If there was 100% dmg reduction and stamina cost applied only on deflected attacks, that would be different

Im with Ronyn a little cue from weapon fighting games/rpgs (soul cal, ninja gaiden-before it went QTE) a perflectly time block is reward with not only satisfaction but the opportunity to punish the opponents and could and new attack options and animations for all weapons

Also allowing some weapons to reflect bullets would he a lot of traditional only weapon users out in the dojo pvp fights and in missions    

man can't wait till update 10!!! (jking )

It "works," but it still needs to be reworked.

Does it? So far, I only used Block to show my friends my melee weapon. Then, some days ago, when I was solo-ing a mission, I decided to try it in combat. What I expected was something like we were shown in the OB trailer. Well, apart from swirling around my Plasma Sword in a fancy manner, I didn't recognize any difference in the damage I took.

For me the good could be 70%  damage reduction and stamina go down only if someone is attacking you
example we have 300 stamina points
someone attack us with Scindo (no mods) 50dmg
70%dmg reduction = 15 dmg to us and 15 stamina cost
If someone will attack us with melee and we will have no stamina then the attack will knock us down.