Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Option: Replace Melee To Switch To Melee Button

Xylia

So I've been thinking, on a change that might spruce up Melee a little.

Sometimes, when I'm doing, say, lower-level Infested, I am using primarily my melee weapon, or sometimes I take a melee weapon to Mercury to level it up.

The default Forward key is W.

The default Melee key is E.

Yes, I could change them, but no matter what I change them TO, my middle finger is holding down the E key and another finger is going to have to mash something else repeatedly while I move the mouse around.

Then it hit me.

Could we get a Control Option that changes the "Melee" key to "Switch to Melee"?

If you enable the option (which can be toggled on/off anytime), when you hit your Melee key (Default "E"), you put your gun away and draw your current Melee Weapon.

While in this mode, left-clicking uses your Melee Weapon to attack. The only drawback is that you would need to either hit F or E to pull a gun out if you needed a gun.

To rememdy this, Right Click could make you fire the Primary or Secondary Weapon you had equipped prior to drawing your melee weapon and activate it as your current weapon.

For example.

You have a Braton, a Hikou and a Kogake. Hikou is equipped.

You enable the Option.

You hit E to equip your Kogake (whoseinformation is now displayed in the corner of the screen so you can see its XP progress bar). You click away, beating up chargers and runners. You see a disruptor. You right-click which causes your character to pull out the Hikou and throw one at the infested. Hikou is now equipped and works as normal. Hitting F switches to your Braton if you want that instead, or hitting E places you back into melee mode once the disruptor has been dealt with.

Edited by Xylia

What you're suggesting is too convoluted; it's things like this that make people shy away from having more than two weapons, like Call of Duty for example.

While in this mode, left-clicking uses your Melee Weapon to attack. The only drawback is that you would need to either hit F or E to pull a gun out if you needed a gun. To rememdy this, Right Click could make you fire the Primary or Secondary Weapon you had equipped prior to drawing your melee weapon and activate it as your current weapon.

This is horribly confusing. You want to map the E AND F key to drawing a particular gun? How does that work? E brings out your Primary and F brings out your secondary? Plus, having a quick-switch option only works in games like Counter Strike, where you can instantly map the recently used weapon to Q, which takes half a second; contrary to this, where you would have to stop, pull out your Primary, switch to your secondary, and then switch back to melee, which takes a long time..

Lastly, terribly breaks the flow of the game. Weaving in and out of enemy crowds, shooting some, while melee-ing others is a joy a real ninja can appreciate.

Why. Just... why.

I like this idea. I honestly hate seeing the animation of muh Rhino whippin out the giant Gorgon every time I'm not smackin something. Particularly when I intend on smacking the jeebus out of everything without aid of a ballistic and or energy based weapon.

Change the controls yourself, it isn't hard.

i play with dread/despair/kogake and use an altered control scheme for when i wanna punch ALL OF THE THINGS!

left mouse click set to melee attack

right mouse button for block

mouse button 5 shoot

mouse button 4 zoom

Q/E strafing

A/D turning

took me less then 20 seconds to make the changes. if anything allow people to save/load custom binding set-ups

Edited by Damers

Easier suggestion: Hold F to toggle melee, pressing F again goes back to last equipped weapon.

While it's true that you can remap in the meantime, it's always kind of neat when the game bugs out and allows you to run with your melee. Would be nice to be able to use that animation normally.

Look, I've only read the title, but I came here just to tell you that my mouse has more than 3 buttons. Everybody let's congratulate me since I found the perfect solution to not pressing E to melee.

/sarcasm

Yea, I would also prefer switching to melee. It would be good for DE to speed up weapon switching animations too methinks. :/