Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Try Higby Censorship instead of the current system

TheBrsrkr

Let's face it, the bot that monitors chat sucks in Warframe, along with the kick system that goes with it. There's more nuanced things like the word gay, which I kind of get you don't want people to say, but all caps getting you kicked? That's a bit harsh, no? There's no warning system, no way to get to the rules of what you can and can't say, and the first you'll know of breaking those rules is when you get a message from the bot saying you've been banned for 24 hours. 

I understand chat moderation is not something you can do all the time with a person behind the screen, and the Guides did help a bit but more can be done than what we have now. 

What I suggest is that you take a page from Planetside's chat moderation strategy. It dispenses with the whole profanity filter with a system that simply changes the word into something else. What happens is when you type in a word, for example fu**, when you post the system automatically changes the word to Higby. Higby is(or was)  the games lead designer and a prominent figure in the games development (for good or I'll) . All it really does is make the sentence hilarious and meaningless. For example:

Player 1 - u shot mans  really bad! 

Player2 - why don't you shut your Higby mouth you Higby mouth breathing Higby

And there's many more besides that. Reddit, Beamer, nanoweave , Zerg, Nexus and my personal favorite, trusted companion. 

Now let's say we replace Higby with Scott, and the other thing s with other devstream and words that only make sense in the Warframe community. Add a strike system for every time you say something bannable and get a warning you have to click on (maybe in the form of a transmission?) to access the chat again for 3 strikes,and then get the hammer past that. 

How does a simple text bot determine context or nuance? It doesn't. This would be a ton more complex than what exists now and for what? The issue is not as seemingly widespread as you make it out to be.

All caps is considered the equivalent of shouting in text. It's been considered a bannable offense in forums, IRC, etc. for decades. It's considered bad form and needs to be heavily discouraged.

34 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

How does a simple text bot determine context or nuance? It doesn't. This would be a ton more complex than what exists now and for what? The issue is not as seemingly widespread as you make it out to be.

Did you even read the thread? OP was just requesting a "profanity gets beeped out" system instead of our "profanity = auto ban" system.

OT: I'd love this.