Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode: A Lazy Gimmick

ThatSuaveCat

First of all, let's not get confused here, end-game challenge is something that many players have criticized as an element that's been sorely lacking in Warframe. So, logically, increasing the level of said challenge is definitely consistent with the interests of the player base, no? However, I don't think Nightmare mode is the answer to this dilemma.

For starters, it feels incredibly detached from the rest of the game, not to mention the restrictions imposed are completely arbitrary and have no reason to be there other than 'RNG decided you dun gon hav shields / health / minimap / fun / etc dis mission, yo'. Bottom line, I don't find Nightmare mode's conditions (with exception given to Low Gravity, I like this, and it can readily make sense unlike 'X' draining for no reason) fun to play at all, really.

In any case, while I like the fact that DE has taken notice of the need to add end-game challenge, this type of approach to creating said 'challenge' is flat-out rudimentary. Not to mention that given the recent push from players demanding the lore be expanded, also a bit of a slap in the face as far as wasting opportunities to create genuine depth to the game is concerned. Basically what I'm proposing is strip the detached, artificial difficulty away and give us proper context AND challenge:

Let's take an example for comparison's sake:

Nightmare Mode

Vampire - Health Drains (because that's the way it's gotta be, sucka)

No Shields - Erm... Zero Shields (because that's the way it's gotta be, sucka)

No Minimap - Yep (etc)

Vs

Special Alert

- A large outbreak of genetically-engineered Infested have been detected on a remote Corpus Research Base in 'X' system. As a result of genetic tampering at the hands of Corpus scientists, these escaped research specimens have overrun the facility and are exhibiting characteristics that pose an even deadlier threat to all co-existing life in the Solar System. The Lotus has ordered that these abominations must be eliminated.

(The RNG will select up to two of the following conditions to be encountered for the duration of the mission):

Reanimation: Infested must be killed twice (unless disintegrated upon initial death)

Toxic Cloud: All classes of Infested are bathed in toxic fumes (as seen with Toxic Ancients)

Veteran Collective: Infested are level 150 (or higher)

Brute Force: Infested deal triple damage

Agility: Infested possess double movement speed

Drain: Infested regenerate 50% of their max HP upon landing a successful melee attack

Pack Leader: Boss-class Infested encounter (Phorid / Golem clone - Affected by mission conditions)

List obviously not exhaustive, these are just examples. Anyway, point being I think something like this would be far more interesting to engage in rather than 'RNG says we don't get shields or health this time, because we don't'. It adds challenge, it adds to the lore of the game (Corpus genetic experimentation, perhaps in an effort to uncover more about the mysteries of the Orokin through reverse-engineering their bio-weapons), it adds possibilities that can be linked in the future (events centered around the new Super-infested?), so on and so forth.

Thoughts? (Flames?)

Yes, Nightmare mode was a quick way to introduce harder gameplay. I hope this isnt their final answer on advanced content.

Give it time. They added it, but by no means does this mean DE is done working with it. I'm sure over time things will be fixed, added, and removed.

Indeed. What you've put forth is very interesting, NIghtmare mode is new and will be improved. 

Maybe they should make it like the "Feats" in Sanctum 2. They had 5 different "Feats" each made the game harder, and gave a bonus of extra exp. One made the enemies faster, one made the enemies more aggressive, and another one made them regenerate health. You could choose as many or as few as you wanted. Maybe they should do that here, but make sure that certain certain ones don't mix(like no map and time limit, or no shields and vampire). 

Indeed. What you've put forth is very interesting, NIghtmare mode is new and will be improved.

That's reassuring to hear. Thanks for the reply, Rebecca. I'm glad to know my rough ideas seem to have generated some positive interest.

Cheers, guys.