Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"tradeoff" Mods

Hipolipolopigus

No, this is not another trading thread, but an overhaul to what we understand the mod system to be. What if there were mods that granted greater power than regular mods, but demanded a sacrifice in return?

An alternative Vitality that increased your health by 440% at max rank, but cut all of your ammo pools and pickups in half for each level (50% -> 75% ->87.5% -> 93.75% -> 96.89%, etc). A Redirection that further increases shields by 440%, but reduces stamina for each level. 

The numbers will need tweaking, of course, but I think these would be an interesting addition.

Edited by Hipolipolopigus

For defense missions where you wouldn't need to do a whole lot of running around I could see using the second one myself. Though I think a complete doubling would be a bit too powerful. And the only issue with the first one is that it cuts down ammo pickups and pools too much. With only 3.11% ammo pool a rifle would have 17 shots. And health isn't as important and shields anyways.

But onto the main topic, I think mods like this could be interesting and could add some much needed depth to the mod pool. Such as one that increases all ammo pools at the same time (and stacks with the weapon mods that do the same thing) but comes at a reduction of speed. Or one that increases your speed but lowers your armor.

This also brings up the point of having negative mods that lower a stat but increases your mod points, the opposite of normal mods in essence. Such as increasing your reload time by the same as a maxed "Fast Hands" mod but increasing your pool by the same number of mod points as "Fast Hands"

This also brings up the point of having negative mods that lower a stat but increases your mod points, the opposite of normal mods in essence. Such as increasing your reload time by the same as a maxed "Fast Hands" mod but increasing your pool by the same number of mod points as "Fast Hands"

The issue there is that it also takes up a mod slot, which is a significant loss on top of the Slow Hands :P

@ELREYULTIMO

Too little sacrifice for too much gain. Armor is nearly worthless compared to shields anyways.

@Hipolipolopigus

I have some pistols that I have a free slot on simply because none of the other mods I've been able to find would actually benefit them. Yet I am out of points on them and would love the chance to get some extra points. And I could definately see people giving up a slot in a non-potatoed weapon for the chance of a larger mod point pool.

Edited by Tsukinoki

@ELREYULTIMO

Too little sacrifice for too much gain. Armor is nearly worthless compared to shields anyways.

It's called pandering I believe, as well as wishful thinking. I mean, who wouldn't take that mod? Edited by ELREYULTIMO

I think it would be a fun addition, but moreso as an addition to what we already have. Nothing so dramatic as effecting the primary Redirection/Vitality mods with ridiculous downsides, but something like the nightmare mods which you can stack on top of other mods that provide the same benefit. Even if they seemed worse than the mods we all usually use, it would still be viable and beneficial to slot mods with consequences to get the most out of your select build.

I think it would be a fun addition, but moreso as an addition to what we already have. Nothing so dramatic as effecting the primary Redirection/Vitality mods with ridiculous downsides, but something like the nightmare mods which you can stack on top of other mods that provide the same benefit. Even if they seemed worse than the mods we all usually use, it would still be viable and beneficial to slot mods with consequences to get the most out of your select build.

That's the idea :3

<set value of recoil> at the benefit of a metre or two of puncture.

That is an excellent idea!

Another interesting one would perhaps be increased damage or multishot for drastically reduced accuracy.

These mods would need to have high enough cons or power costs so that they wouldn't always be stacked together with their con-less counterparts.