The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

CPU Low Usage / Not Multi-Threading

BR34D

I recently built a new PC and have since been experiencing terrible FPS in Warframe.

The FPS can range anywhere between low 20s to at most 130FPS on the liset.

After trying out many fixes and having incredibly low usage % in task manager, it occurred to me to change the graphs to individual logical processors.

ScreenShot.png.png.PNG.PNG

As you may see in the picture above, the game is only using a single thread of my processor, not even a full core.

I have tried the fixes from other forums:

• Assigning the processor count within msconfig.exe advanced boot options
  • Changing the Priority to High/ Realtime in Task Manage
  • Setting core affinities also in Task Manager
  • Running the game in Administrative Mode (IDK)

I also tried:

• Reinstalling the chipset drivers, the GPU drivers, and I checked for BIOS updates.
  • Running in different DirectX modes.
  • Confirmed X64 mode and multi-threading as enabled and tried disabling (just in case)

System Spec:

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Motherboard

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16 Core / 32 Thread CPU 3.4GHz (4.2 Turbo)

128GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 3600 MHz D.O.C.P. Enabled

Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 Drive

1200 Watt Corsair HX1200i PSU

EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Graphics Card

Any thoughts on a fix or possible workaround would be great! Please help.  :)

22 minutes ago, krc473 said:

The important thing not mentioned anywhere:

• Does this happen on other games, or just in Warframe?

Whoops. :)

This seems to be Warframe specific, but I only have Warframe, Quake Champions, and TEKKEN 7 Installed. Those may not be great examples.

I have tried various benchmark softwares (3D Mark, Cinebench R15, CPU-Z, and RealBench) and received very nice scores, if that means anything.

47 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Have you tried this?

Okay.

This test seems to be for RAM leaks, not CPU issues, but I did it anyway.

Outbreak start:

Outbreak_Start.png

30 Minutes of outbreak:

Outbreak_30_Minutes.png

RAM stayed the same, slight GPU spike for initialization, CPU in a similar state. Personally I don't see any thing noteworthy.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:38 PM, BR34D said:

Any thoughts on a fix or possible workaround would be great! Please help.  :)

Just to address the title first: "MTR" means Multi-threaded Rendering, the "rendering" part is important but often people don't recognise it. You are threading the renderer - the thing which sends work to the GPU. Warframe isn't a graphically demanding game like Battlefront/Battlefield, or Wolfenstien/Doom, so it stands to reason its renderer wont be used nearly the same. 

That being said, Steve has posted before that Warframes thing is AI - and it's not just Warframes thing really, AI tends to be a problem across all games. Typically the higher the AI 'smartness' the fewer AI in a scene. The dumber the AI, the more in a scene. Compare the AI in Destiny (for example) to the AI in Warframe (Destiny's target machine - the consoles - don't feature particularly powerful cpu's).

Warframe has decent AI, nothing groundbreaking but the AI in warframe do have a habit of acting together (seeking out Nullifier bubbles to hide in, or standing behind lancers etc.), and then have quite a large number of them spawned at a time. This falls into "game logic", and sometimes, threading this is really hard, or impossible. If you think about an AI unit being killed, there is a distinct sequence of event that occur, which can only occur in one way. You shoot, the enemy gets hit, then the enemy dies. You can't (for example) have the enemy die, then get hit, before you decide to shoot. This isn't to say you can't thread stuff like this, but it just gets more difficult.

TL;DR: Multi-threaded Rendering in the launcher options threads the renderer. Warframe isn't a graphical powerhouse of a title. 

Some things you can do however is try to run Warframe within a single CCX, or even a single die. Threadripper has 4 CPU dies on the chip (2 disabled, presumably for yield reasons regarding Epyc). So try to force Warframe to the first 8 threads.