Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

settings help! horrible contrast problems??

Hexx

Question

EDIT: as of february 2018, i'm STILL HAVING THIS PROBLEM. it's so bad i can't complete MR tests because i can't see ANYTHING in them
please see most recent post: 

i wasn't sure if this was the best place to ask this but i guess so?

i'm having some really awful brightness/contrast problems. no matter what settings i use it's either WAY too bright or WAY too dark or, more typically, both at the same time. it makes certain areas basically unplayable. 

for brightness, grineer tilesets with a lot of open sandy areas are so extremely bright i can't see any detail let alone enemies, but MR tests are the worst. i have to remember to turn my brightness down to like 12 in order to see anything. for darkness, literally any dark area on any tileset is too dark. it's a bit better than having it too bright because at least my warframes and enemies emit a dull glow here and there but still it's exactly not ideal, lol

i've tried putting my settings back to default but that doesn't work, i'm at a point where i'm at a complete loss of what to do. is it my installation?? my graphics card?? i'm running on an Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 which i know is getting a bit on in years but it's still well above the minimum requirement to run warframe. (and i can't imagine a F2P game requiring like an $800 graphics card)

there are some tilesets that are much better than others but for the most part i will end up hitting at least 1 section that's pretty unbearable, and as you can imagine has a really bad impact if i'm ever on a team if i'm getting stalled from slamming into walls i can't see because it's too break or stuck underneath some stairs because it's too dark all the while being hit by enemies i can't see

here's some screenshots of the problem:

random earth tileset from an alert mission:

tumblr_p18pwhdWH81rhzseio1_r1_1280.png

the MR test where you have to jump on those falling tiles while shooting enemies that are on a ledge, i can't remember which one i think it's like 10 or 11, EITHER way......i'm actually standing in front of those tiles in this screenshot. i had NO idea until i turned down the brightness lmao

tumblr_p18pwhdWH81rhzseio2_1280.png

here's my current settings; i've played with them constantly and maybe it's made me overlook a critical option?? please help

tumblr_p18pwhdWH81rhzseio3_r1_1280.png

tumblr_p18pwhdWH81rhzseio4_r1_1280.png

tumblr_p18pwhdWH81rhzseio5_r1_1280.png

i did try run turning on nVidia physX but tbh that didn't do anything significant and, typically, it's known to cause more bad than good for a lot of games so i've left it turned off.

Edited by alexorcist

5 answers to this question

Turning Adaptive Exposure on will normalize the brightness of basically every location in the game. I personally turn it off and prefer a higher-contrast look, but what you have is looking pretty extreme. Note that small changes to the Contrast and Brightness sliders make a big difference. I run 53 contrast and 52 brightness with Adaptive Exposure off, and like every other setting on. 

I'd also recommend turning off color correction. 

Either way, I really hope we get manual flashlights someday. 

Edited by Outlander3734

your Contrast is set really high. setting it much closer to the default of 50 will make an enormous impact.
similarly your Brightness is also kind've high.

i'll also note that:

• you must have Dynamic Exposure (Adaptive Exposure) enabled for Bloom to work in Warframe, regardless of whether you have it set on or not. i know, that really sucks but they're intrinsically tied nowadays.
  • it's often found that the effects Color Correction apply to the game usually make the game look worse, but try on/off yourself in a few Missions and decide for yourself.
  • why do you have Anti-Aliasing disabled? your GPU can absolutely handle it. SMAA will have almost zero performance impact for you and will help image quality significantly since you're playing at a lower Resolution.
  • Anisotropic Filtering is basically free on any relevant GPU, so might as well set it to max.
    • setting Trilinear Filtering on is also recommended in the same vein.
  • unless you have a low end Processor, Geometry and Particle Quality should be able to be set to High without much effect on performance.

i'm sorry to necro this thread (holidays + illness + i'm just so frustrated at this issue why even bother playing at all) but i'm STILL having this problem

none of the above comments helped, they're either all things i'm already aware of, already tried, or tried and didn't work

- have dynamic exposure enabled. it doesn't work.

- anti-aliasing doens't??? have ANYTHING to do with brightness or contrast??

- all my drivers are updated (most recent being like this february)

- this isn't about performance, the game itself runs fine and a constant 60fps, it's about I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING

i actually literally can't complete the MR13 test because i can't see the platforms unless i DRASTICALLY increase contrast and decrease brightness, but even that's not enoughh for me to adequately see a single g.d. thing enough to complete the test (especially since it's one that INVOLVES DISAPPEARING PLATFORMS.... WHITE PLATFORMS DISAPPEARING INTO A WHITE BACKGROUND)

tumblr_p3ln1e7T241rhzseio5_r1_1280.png

also once i leave the practice area and i'm back at cephalon simaris's, i can't see anything. it's pitch black. so i have to spend even more time trying to see in literally every. single. area i go to.

EDIT: so i just watched an MR 13 test on youtube-- THE PLATFORMS FLASH??? no WONDER i can't complete the stupid thing, they're SOLID WHITE BLOCKS there's no flashing, they just BEEP once and drop and i barely even notice that because, again, WHITE ON WHITE oh my god i'm so pissed off right now what the f^&* is wrong with my game

edit 2: well i completely forgot i had titania so i used her to beat the test but it felt REALLY cheap and i'm still pretty mad

Edited by alexorcist